Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

JOETISSERIE for the BGE

Who has one? Give me the pros and cons? How difficult is it to attach and remove? 
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......

Comments

• bangor307
    bangor307 Posts: 139
    I have one for my large, fit is pretty good but if you're cooking rotiss style who cares. Mine is dedicated for it, fits two decent size chickens. No complaints from my guests.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    I have one and I like it.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    bangor307 said:
    I have one for my large, fit is pretty good but if you're cooking rotiss style who cares. Mine is dedicated for it, fits two decent size chickens. No complaints from my guests.
    Is it easy to remove and put back on? 
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I have one. It's a great eggcessories! Simple to use and makes a mean chicken 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Alton said:
    bangor307 said:
    Just open the dome and it sits one the base. No bolting or anything. Drop on, lift off.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    That looks like an accessori CGS could figure out for us BGE'ers...

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    @cookingdude555...  i like the idea!!!
  • bangor307
    edited March 2019
    Alton said:
    bangor307 said:
    Yep very easy. Just don't forget to take off the motor if you leave the egg outside in the rain.  :)
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    @vb4677, I got mine here@Grader07, it has become a hit around here.  I even bought the bigger one to use in my 22", it cooks a lot of birds =) .

• cookingdude555
    I found only one picture of the joetisserie in action.  It did produce a really juicy bird.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited March 2019
    @cookingdude555 I did that in my PBC too. Came out too smoky for our liking, compared to chicken cooked in Traeger. I'm thinking of using three firebricks at an angle to prop up a pizza stone or platesetter above the lump basket. 
    Did you use the water pan in the WSM?

canuckland
  • cookingdude555
    @cookingdude555 I did that in my PBC too. Came out too smoky for our liking, compared to chicken cooked in Traeger. I'm thinking of using three firebricks at an angle to prop up a pizza stone or platesetter above the lump basket. 
    Did you use the water pan in the WSM?
    @Canugghead, no, hanging high above the fire, direct.  I am using Weber briqs (my favorite, especially on sale at target or home depot at year end for 3.50/20 lbs).  I dont use any smoke wood, and when I load the WSM with the charcoal, it is fully lit from the chimney (1 full weber chimney).  The flavor reminds me almost dead on of huli huli chicken you get at carnivals where their chicken is cooked over the trailer rotisserie using mesquite charcoal.  Only this is lighter.  I cake it with costco's bbq rub seasoning (not sure the brand, I am at work), and I push the rub under the skin too.

Its probably a preference thing, I am selling my green mountain grill (similar to traeger) due to low smoke flavor.  So if you like the traeger product, this method probably wouldn't be best for you.  Do you like ribs or other cuts hung over the fire in your PBC?  I have tried ribs too, but chicken was the best.  I overcooked the ribs, not being familiar with the method.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Apology to OP for thread-jacking. @cookingdude555 I've only used the PBC couple of times, I overcooked the ribs too! I heard whole turkey cooked hung is really good. Will experiment with lighting more brigs and insert the stone.

canuckland
  • cookingdude555
    Yeah the hijacking was my fault.  ;)
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    I have one for my Large. I've used it a couple of times and enjoy it. 

WRT: Installation and removal - it is quite easy. The Ring just pops onto the bottom of the BGE and you close the lid on it. My biggest problem was that I wanted to do a drip pan and I couldn't position the product properly.  I finally figured out that the reason people use rotisseries is for the self basting and the drips would be deminimis.  After trying several times, I figured out how to center the product on the skewer.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    vb4677 said:
    That looks like an accessori CGS could figure out for us BGE'ers...

I made one a few years ago. Worked ok, but space is an issue. Bought a Pitbarrel a couple years ago; it is an outstanding hanging poultry cooker.  A link to my comtraption now gathering dust: https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1172084/im-hanging-a-chicken-too/p1
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • I have one and use it on my XL. Works great, biggest problem I have is getting the meat centered and balanced on the spit, not that the imbalance significantly hinders the final product. Install and removal is simple and easy, just the motor and the ring, and they simply lift off.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Skewered Veggies and Linguica on the XL Roto.  We use quite a bit.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Meeteeter
    Meeteeter Posts: 32
    Can someone explain how the lid closes once you put it on? I’m sure it’s something simple but I can’t picture it.
  • cookingdude555
    It doesn’t close all the way. It’s tapered so it’s thinner in the back. If you open your egg two inches, it’s shaped to fill that gap. 
  • Meeteeter
    Meeteeter Posts: 32
    @cookingdude555 Thank you, that makes sense
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Meeteeter said:
    Can someone explain how the lid closes once you put it on? I’m sure it’s something simple but I can’t picture it.
    Here's a side shot of a Joetisserie in action which clearly shows its wedge shape:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bangor307
    Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can start using it again
  • bangor307 said:
    What does snow have to do with it? Mine works just fine when the ground is white.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • bangor307
    There was a a 5' drift next to it until recently. Finally melted away so I'm good to go again. I'm not allowed to shovel due to some health problems.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    I use mine at least once a month, mainly for chicken, but I did make one small modification.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    bangor307 said:
    What does snow have to do with it? Mine works just fine when the ground is white.
    @Meeeshigan22 is just a wuss. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• I went to Costco yesterday and they had a big display with those red earns and they had these sitting there too.  Before I could get out of the store a couple chickens and a joetisserie and a bag of lump jumped into the card.  The Joe lump was $21 for a 30lbs bag.  I've never used but I'll give it a whirl for that price(sorry STL)

I used Rockwood and a touch of maple wood though for the maiden cook and I really like it.  Definitely a different result than just going direct or indirect although all ways make an excellent result. 

I can see myself using this more often and it won't become a bunch of wires in the corner as my flameboss has.  :)

I would say that one could live without it, but why?