Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: anybody got a kick butt cold crab salad recipe? :OT

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
nuffa said... =)
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    This isn't what most people mean by "crab salad," so it's probably not what you want, but for what it's worth, it's a crab salad, and it's cold, and my wife and I love it.  It's an old recipe from Gourmet magazine, a classic that was served in restaurants all over the country, starting in San Francisco, I think, in the early to mid 20th Century.  I think originally it was made with Dungeness crab, but king crab would surely work, and my wife and I usually use the nicest lump crab (blue crab) we can find.

Crab Louis

INGREDIENTS

For dressing:

1 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup ketchup-based chili sauce

1/4 cup minced scallion

2 tablespoons minced green olives

2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon bottled horseradish

Salt and pepper to taste

1 1/2 lb jumbo lump crabmeat

Iceberg lettuce, shredded

Capers

Tomato wedges

Hard-boiled egg

Lemon

DIRECTIONS

Make dressing:

Whisk together mayonnaise, chili sauce, scallion, green olives, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, bottled horseradish, and salt and pepper to taste.

Pick over crabmeat, then divide among 4 plates lined with shredded iceberg lettuce. Garnish with capers and wedges of tomato, hard-boiled egg, and lemon and serve with dressing.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Theophan said:
    This isn't what most people mean by "crab salad," so it's probably not what you want, but for what it's worth, it's a crab salad, and it's cold, and my wife and I love it.  It's an old recipe from Gourmet magazine, a classic that was served in restaurants all over the country, starting in San Francisco, I think, in the early to mid 20th Century.  I think originally it was made with Dungeness crab, but king crab would surely work, and my wife and I usually use the nicest lump crab (blue crab) we can find.

Crab Louis

INGREDIENTS

For dressing:

1 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup ketchup-based chili sauce

1/4 cup minced scallion

2 tablespoons minced green olives

2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon bottled horseradish

Salt and pepper to taste

1 1/2 lb jumbo lump crabmeat

Iceberg lettuce, shredded

Capers

Tomato wedges

Hard-boiled egg

Lemon

DIRECTIONS

Make dressing:

Whisk together mayonnaise, chili sauce, scallion, green olives, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, bottled horseradish, and salt and pepper to taste.

Pick over crabmeat, then divide among 4 plates lined with shredded iceberg lettuce. Garnish with capers and wedges of tomato, hard-boiled egg, and lemon and serve with dressing.

Thank you!  that does look interesting!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    If you really want it to kick your butt, leave it out on the counter overnight. 
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Anything blue crab - cakes, imperial, salad - I try to keep it simple to let the subtle sweet flavor of the crab come through.  

Pound of freshest backfin (not jumbo lump).
    Just enough mayo.
    Scant teaspoon Dijon mustard.
    3 or 4 dashes of Old Bay.

If making 2 pounds I might mix backfin and jumbo lump.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    I like Paula's shrimp salad with eggs recipe and use Blue crab instead of shrimp 
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited March 2019
    A little late the the thread....but here is a hot crab and shrimp salad that is excellent. You can double down on the crab and eliminate the shrimp.....or do as stated. 

Peg's Crab and Shrimp Salad
    (Credit - putting on the grits cookbook)
    Serves 6-8 people

Ingredients
    1/2 pound of crab meat, cleaned and drained
    1 pound of shrimp cooked, cleaned and chopped
    1 medium green pepper chopped
    1 Medium onion, chopped
    1 cup chopped celery
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup Dukes mayonnaise
    1 cup herb seasoned stuffing 
    Butter

Methodology
    Mix together crab, shrimp, green pepper, onion, celery, salt, pepper, Worcestershire and mayonnaise. Spread in a buttered 2-quarts casserole dish and top with stuffing and butter. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve hot..... in ramekins or use as filling for tiny cream puffs (omitting stuffing and butter).

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    edited March 2019
    I'm surprised so many people on here know so much about crabs.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Some times you get an itch...

But if you're still reading, we make and serve really good deviled eggs with a big chunk of fresh lump backfin perched on top.  They disappear faster than drug store readers in a retirement community library!
    It's a 302 thing . . .