Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cold smoke cheese--smoker tube

Options

Does anyone use a smoker tube and pellets to cold smoke cheese?

What do you do when you have a firebox full or half full of lump? Do you take all the lump out? Can you put the tube on top of the lump or on the plate setter?

Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
Instagram

Comments

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I use an A-Maze-N pellet smoker to cold smoke cheese. I put it on the plate setter and then put the cheese on a raised grid a couple inches above the felt line so the cheese is ~8 inches above the pellet tray.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    Options
    I use an A-Maze-N pellet smoker to cold smoke cheese. I put it on the plate setter and then put the cheese on a raised grid a couple inches above the felt line so the cheese is ~8 inches above the pellet tray.
    OK, thanks. That's good information.
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Depending on the room you have on the grate, you can place on there. Don’t put on top of charcoal because if it lights the heat will obviously be too high. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    Either a tube or tray works. I clean mine out and set the tray in the bottom just above the grate
  • Timba
    Timba Posts: 34
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I have a question on using the daisy wheel and the bottom vent when using the amazin tray smoking cheese. Is the bottom vent wide open and do you use the daisy wheel to hold the smoke in a little longer
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Timba said:
    I have a question on using the daisy wheel and the bottom vent when using the amazin tray smoking cheese. Is the bottom vent wide open and do you use the daisy wheel to hold the smoke in a little longer

Cold smoke doesn't behave the same way as hot smoke.
      There isn't the heat to carry it, so it's slow moving - it lingers.  Wide open daisy is fine.
    Phoenix 
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    could try putting pizza stone on top of the lump
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    i empty my egg and put the tube in the bottom. use platesetter and a clean grate. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • ARoehr11
    ARoehr11 Posts: 41
    Options
    my last batch of cheese was the best I have done, empty fire box, APS maze in box, plate setter, bottom vent fully open, daisy wheel off, light maze from both ends and burn until the maze is done, took about 2.5 hours or so
    -1 XL BGE
    -1 Kamado Joe "Joe Jr"
    -1 Traeger Scout 
    -cast iron grate and pans
    -pizza stone
    -XL Adjustable Rig 2 Grid Combo from Ceramic Grill Store
    -A-MAZE-N smoker pellet tray
    -Teken Wireless 4 Probe Thermometer
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Master built cold smoke attachment .Metal drier hose . Power to cold smoke is off ,bottom drawer out to give draft with help of fan. Runs nice and cool. This batch was done during summer ,about 80 degrees outside,no sweat on cheese .
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    DWFII said:

What do you do when you have a firebox full or half full of lump? Do you take all the lump out?

I have a KickAsh basket and just lift all of the lump out the grill.  I assume it helps with air flow to not have it in the grill.
    Raleigh, NC
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I smoke cheese in a gas grill or my pellet grill.  the less insulation and tight chamber to hold smoke in, the better.  I only use the pellet tube for smoke, the grill is off, and its below freezing out this night, so the chamber was very cold smoke.

• EggbertGreenII
    Options
    First and last time I tried smoking cheese, I naturally overdid it. Cheese tasted like it had been smoked in a wet newspaper fire I used a A-Maze-N tray and some hickory pellets and a Bradley Cold Smoke attachment and simply let it smoke too long. I'll try it again.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    I had the same results (cheese tasted like an ashtray even after 6 months) after smoking in my XL.  I don't think it takes a lot of smoke. I have been buying smoked mild cheddar blocks at the local packing plant. They use a big smokehouse, and it's pretty good and not overpowering.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have made a few batches when I first started smoking cheese that tasted like an ash tray (I feel you @EggbertGreenII and @littlerascal56).  The trick, for me, was to only use apple pellets, smoke for only an hour, and not use an egg.  The egg is too efficient and holds all the smoke in.  Less is more when it comes to cheese.  Anything metal (cardboard box even), and leaky is really good for this.  I have used kettles, my gas grill, or lately my pellet grill.  They bleed the heat off too, an egg will hold it.  You will have to counteract the heat in the egg, usually with a bowl of ice or something.  There are methods to make the egg work but I found it easier to utilize other cookers I have.