Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT? — (t)AXE TIME —¿OT

2»

Comments

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Find a vintage Collins, plumb, Kelly perfect, Flint edge, or....I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.  Those old axes were heat treated unlike the modern day fiskars or whoever that are made of soft steel.   I do have a gränsfors for the novelty, but I'm afraid to use it lol
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    How about one of these?
    https://youtu.be/PJ_K5GOgUKQ

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited March 2019
    I just call the man.....my days of cutting and splitting wood are over......had some great times doing it in the past.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Hotch said:
    How about one of these?
    https://youtu.be/PJ_K5GOgUKQ

Man-o-man I would have bought one of those in a heartbeat 30 years ago! Back then I bought 3 or 4 axes, 2 mauls, a couple splitting wedges and even an antique froe. Then I got smart - sold or gave away most of them - and converted my fire place to a gas fried log.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    New shipping notification has delivery for Monday. 

Pics WILL be coming! ;)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• MaskedMarvel

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    The trees don’t stand a chance. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Nice acquisition - you will need a sharpening stone to keep them at their best.

The Gransfors Bruk axes are great, and well worth the extra dollars. The way I look at it, this is a product I will buy just once, so why not spend a little more to get something that is such a pleasure to use (and that comes from a company that cares about the way their products are manufactured from a human perspective). 

My main tools for cutting wood are a buck saw to cut the large logs; a splitting maul, and a hatchet. The GB maul is not as heavy as some of the big Austrian mauls, but it still feels like it does most of the splitting work for me. With smaller pieces of wood I don't need a full swing to cleave the wood. When I take a full swing, the wood cleaves like an apple - it's such a pleasure to use. I make kindling by getting a smaller split, and split it into thin strips with the hatchet. 

I don't cut down larger trees, and so I don't need a felling axe. My ideal setup for now is a splitting maul, a good wedge or two, and a hatchet. However, I am tempted every now and then to get the Scandinavian axe to remove limbs prior to satin, and to complement the sawing work. 

• MaskedMarvel
    Emailed their customer service for some damage that was on the handle of the small forest axe. 

Seems like an expensive axe for the wood to be damaged on delivery...

not a big deal. I can sand it out, I guess. 
    Dog is for scale. 

Large BGE and Medium BGE