Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Tundra Owners/Timing chain

Options
I’ve got a 2014 Tundra with about 84,000 miles. Anyone out there replacing the timing chain around 90-100k or just keep running it? Anyone have it break on you? Truck is great and still looks brand new. Gas mileage is the only negative but I knew that before I bought it so I can’t complain. So far all I’ve done to it is oil/tire changes and air filters. How many eggheads are driving Tundras?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I’ve got a 2014 Tundra with about 84,000 miles. Anyone out there replacing the timing chain around 90-100k or just keep running it? 
    I wouldn’t change it with just 84,000 miles on the engine. I know it’s not the same vehicles, but my Chevy Avalanche had 323,000 miles on it when I sold it to my neighbor almost a year ago. He is still driving it everyday. It now has a little over 340,000 miles on it. 
    Timing chains are normally one of the last things to fail on an engine short of it being a really souped up engine used in racing applications. If the engine is running fine and you haven’t seen any metal shavings in the oil or oil pan, in no way would I change it.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    I'd do whatever the maintenance manual recommends.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Timing belts break. Timing chains stretch. In an interference engine you don't get metal shavings, you get poor engine performance and then you get bent valves. 

The timing chain gets replaced at 120k miles I believe. Might be 100k. I haven't checked my Tundra manual but I know I'm starting to get close. 

If you tow much, get a transmission fluid flush early. Don't wait for the 100k.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I have a 2005 4Runner that has a timing chain. 238,000 miles and it’s never been replaced. As far as I am aware they are lifetime or maybe something like 500,000 miles. If it was a belt then yes it would need to be replaced every 100k miles or so. As long as you inspect the chain and it isn’t loose or there isn’t any rust forming you should be fine. At least according to my dealer.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,746
    Options
    dont know about the newer tundras, the biggest motor in the tundra had a chain, next size down had a belt in older models. my dads 01 had the chain replaced at 200k but i believe it was the tensioner failing, if you pull it apart you change everything. chains fail slowely,  usually you will know when its happening, belts just break and cause big problems
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    which motor do you have??

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Just do it.

Like mentioned above by @Toxarch, but additionally, if the chain stretched too much or wears/breaks a guide it can begin to wear into the timing chain cover which can lead to antifreeze getting into your oil system if there is a water jacket there.

Then you're replacing rod and main bearings at a minimum
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Options
    Thanks everyone, sure appreciate the feedback. I’ve got the 5.7 as I’ve got the 1794 package.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The 5.7L engine (3UR-FE) does have a timing chain, while the 4.7L engine (2UZ-FE) uses a belt. Generally, timing chains are designed to be maintenance free. If your service manual does not recommend a replacement interval, you don't need to plan on replacing the timing chain.

from google
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,647
    Options
    Paging @frazzdaddy
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• pasoegg
    Options
    The 5.7L engine (3UR-FE) does have a timing chain, while the 4.7L engine (2UZ-FE) uses a belt. Generally, timing chains are designed to be maintenance free. If your service manual does not recommend a replacement interval, you don't need to plan on replacing the timing chain.

from google

don't need to service the timing chain - made for life of motor....timing belts are a different story...

Winston-Salem, NC

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    We had we had some of those in our Meter Readers fleet, and they still ran great when they were traded in at 200k mileage, with original timing chains!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Maybe I am an abusive owner =) , but I have 270K on my 2008 and have still not replaced it
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I had a 06 that I sold with 240k on it. Other than oil changes and tires, I only replaced a drive shaft (225k) and two sets of brakes. I miss that truck. 
  • Jonnysouth
    Options
    There’s really only 2 negatives I could say about this truck, the fuel mileage and some of the interior buttons like lock/unlock/mirrors are not backlit to find them easily when it’s dark outside. We live that the whole back window goes down. Would certainly get another one but I keep thinking Toyota will be coming out with a “refresh” of the Tundra with improved gas mileage.
  • Jonnysouth
    Options
    Maybe I am an abusive owner =) , but I have 270K on my 2008 and have still not replaced it
    I’ve probably seen it parked at Dizzy Pig the few times I’ve made it to VA and made it by the store. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    There’s really only 2 negatives I could say about this truck, the fuel mileage and some of the interior buttons like lock/unlock/mirrors are not backlit to find them easily when it’s dark outside. We live that the whole back window goes down. Would certainly get another one but I keep thinking Toyota will be coming out with a “refresh” of the Tundra with improved gas mileage.
    They are thirsty for sure. 
  • pasoegg
    Options
    Toyota only offers one transmission and 1 rear end ratio.  To be able to have a large tow capacity like other half ton trucks we suffer on gas mileage.  Course never heard anyone mention tow capacity and fuel mileage in the same sentence that made sense.  They will never offer the variations that domestic trucks offer.  They are selling all of them they can make without having to offer HUGE incentives like domestic.  Just there business model....

Winston-Salem, NC

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    1 million miles on this Tundra. Two timing chain replacements 

https://youtu.be/TL7fyyUNRmA
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 272
    Options
    Our Tundra has been dubbed "The Big Gulp" dont drive it much anymore it has kind of been replaced by an SOB "some other brand".
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    My Yota 4Runner has a timing chain ... my Honda Pilot had a timing belt.  $1200 to change it at 100k.  Glad the 4Runner has a chain.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You are fine
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Mickey said:
    You are fine
    Thank you, I always thought so.  Glad to have conframation ;)
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Good morning guys, Sorry I missed this earlier @alaskanassasin .Timing chains should never go past 100k, I don't care who makes them. Easy to tell, have a qualified tech check your base timing. There are specs for allowable stretch. The stretch will cause your power to wain and fuel economy to suffer.  I have witnessed first hand the aftermath of breaks and it's not pretty. Yes, I've seen some go 300k but the gamble is not worth the reward in my opinion as when they break most of the time, it's new engine time. With all that said some of the Toyota engines are "non interference" engines. This means the valves and pistons will not hit each other should the belt or chain break making a break less of a catastrophe.  If anyone needs some tech help with this, pm me. I've got a couple of yoyo guys on speed dial. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Good morning guys, Sorry I missed this earlier @alaskanassasin .Timing chains should never go past 100k, I don't care who makes them. Easy to tell, have a qualified tech check your base timing. There are specs for allowable stretch. The stretch will cause your power to wain and fuel economy to suffer.  I have witnessed first hand the aftermath of breaks and it's not pretty. Yes, I've seen some go 300k but the gamble is not worth the reward in my opinion as when they break most of the time, it's new engine time. With all that said some of the Toyota engines are "non interference" engines. This means the valves and pistons will not hit each other should the belt or chain break making a break less of a catastrophe.  If anyone needs some tech help with this, pm me. I've got a couple of yoyo guys on speed dial. 
    That’s interesting because that’s contradictory to what my Toyota dealers maintenence dept told me and it’s also in my factory maintenance log that the timing chain doesn’t require replacement. Question, what brand of dealerships do you/did you work at?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• frazzdaddy
    edited March 2019
    Options
    That’s interesting because that’s contradictory to what my Toyota dealers maintenence dept told me and it’s also in my factory maintenance log that the timing chain doesn’t require replacement. Question, what brand of dealerships do you/did you work at?
     As does Mercedes Benz. (32) years with MB as a master guild. 10 years before with various other brands as well. Do what you would like, it's your car, Just sharing my observations and a way to check. 

On another note the Durace bicycle chains on my road bikes needed changing after a year of training (10k) on the road from stretch. Those timing chains are not that much beefier.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited March 2019
    Options
     As does Mercedes Benz. (32) years with MB as a master guild. 10 years before with various other brands as well. Do what you would like, it's your car, Just sharing my observations and a way to check. 

On another note the Durace bicycle chains on my road bikes needed changing after a year of training (10k) on the road from stretch. Those timing chains are not that much beefier.
    I’m not trying to argue with you. I remember you saying you worked at a dealer and I couldn’t remember where. I just found it interesting that I’ve had 2 different dealers tell me its a lifetime part that doesn’t require replacement. Maybe in their saying that they don’t expect someone like me with 238k miles on their truck to still be driving it and to them lifetime means “150,000 miles” Maybe I got one of the good ones cause my gas mileage is better today than 10 years ago and my engine still runs perfectly.

• frazzdaddy
    edited March 2019
    Options

I’m not trying to argue with you. I remember you saying you worked at a dealer and I couldn’t remember where. I just found it interesting that I’ve had 2 different dealers tell me its a lifetime part that doesn’t require replacement. Maybe in their saying that they don’t expect someone like me with 238k miles on their truck to still be driving it and to them lifetime means “150,000 miles” Maybe I got one of the good ones cause my gas mileage is better today than 10 years ago and my engine still runs perfectly.
    Nor am I. Bolded = whose definition? Just saying I've seen them break enough that I shared. The amount of time you get out of a non interval part is dependent on a number of things the writers can't predict. You won't get a lot of sympathy from the authors if it breaks after 100k. No big deal, just have it checked.  
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,647
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018 There is your answer, let us know what they find.

Nor am I. Bolded = whose definition? Just saying I've seen them break enough that I shared. The amount of time you get out of a non interval part is dependent on a number of things the writers can't predict. You won't get a lot of sympathy from the authors if it breaks after 100k. No big deal, just have it checked.  

South of Columbus, Ohio.