Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Twin Akaushi Wagyu Tomahawk Ribeye

So the birthday was the 15th and my sister lovingly gifted me pure gold:  Certified Akaushi Wagyu Tomahawk Ribeyes.  If you're in the Dallas area Deep Cuts butchers sells this stuff (the beef ribs are to die for). So today is the day. 1 to cook, the other to age and cook later.  On the XL egg as we speak...

The marbling and texture of these is indescribable even over prime grade . About 2 inches thick.. pure heaven on a bone..
Dallas Texas.
2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
Tech:  EggGenius and Thermoworks Smoke w Gateway
Lump: Rockwood/Fogo
Wood: Cherry, Apple, PostOak, Pecan
Meat: Costco, Deep Cuts
Rubs: Meat Church, HardcoreCarnivore, John Henry's

Comments

• Yeah you tore off the part I wanted to see. 

Little Rock, AR

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    More pics?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Yeah you tore off the part I wanted to see. 
    Price?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    So... is your sister married?
    Greensboro, NC
  • Love deep cuts. When I want Dino ribs or wagyu steak that’s where I go

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    That is one he!! of a gift, especially from a sister.  Better to be lucky than good any day.  Enjoy that banquet (and follow on). 
    I'm no dry aging expert but I would not plan for too much aging on the steak as it is relatively thin compared to the hunks of beef the dry-aged cuts come from.  FWIW-
    BTW- no pressure to deliver the end product  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Wow.

Just

Wow.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TexasisBestest
    TexasisBestest Posts: 122
    edited February 2019
    To reply to a few...
    1. Gift means no price lol.
    2. Yeah she's married.... Lol
    3. Agree on the age, literally will cook in a week or so..or.... Tomorrow lol

Came out on the Medium side of med rare, amazingly juicy and just packed with flavor. Seared on cast iron with beef tallow... Just.... Yes...
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
  • You did that cow justice!  

Little Rock, AR

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You’re old. Nice steak.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Now that is the way to bring it home.  Great crust right there.  Congrats on the cook and outcome.  Money shots tell it all!
    BTW- belated happy birthday.  You are fortunate to have a sister with such refined tastes. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    Now that is the way to bring it home.  Great crust right there.  Congrats on the cook and outcome.  Money shots tell it all!
    BTW- belated happy birthday.  You are fortunate to have a sister with such refined tastes. 
     Agree 100%.. there definitely is not a large population in the world that would spend a few hundred dollars on steak. LOL

Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Wow...looks fantastic.  Did you cook indirect then finish in the CI? 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • CPARKTX said:
    Wow...looks fantastic.  Did you cook indirect then finish in the CI? 
    I did.  Indirect untill about 120 125 and then seared untill it hit temp. I use beef tallow and butter to sear.  
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
  • great looking moo cow! 
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • That looks marvelous!
    Stillwater, MN
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Yeah that's even better on the second look.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    thetrim said:
    Yeah that's even better on the second look.
    I too, keep opening this thread just to take a peak.  I feel like I am cheating on my homely prime steaks.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,715
    Wow, what a great gift!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    beautiful steak. you nailed it
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I’m showing this to my sisters. 

And love the shot of the “birthday steak”. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Thank you for sharing and the butcher shop, not too far from Southlake!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • I am making your steak picture my “screen saver”! Nice .
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927

Came out on the Medium side of med rare, amazingly juicy and just packed with flavor. Seared on cast iron with beef tallow... Just.... Yes...
    Ain't nothing wrong with a medium steak or even medium well.  Not every steak in the world has to be cooked medium rare.  Your steak looks awesome and if it was juicy and packed with flavor, you nailed it, no matter what the medium rare snobs would say!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Hub said:

Ain't nothing wrong with a medium steak or even medium well.  Not every steak in the world has to be cooked medium rare.  Your steak looks awesome and if it was juicy and packed with flavor, you nailed it, no matter what the medium rare snobs would say!
    Knock off its horns, wipe its ass and bring it on in.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Hub said:

Nothing wrong with a well done wagyu or kobe filet that a 12 pack of Budweiser and bottle of ketchup can't fix.