Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer can (kinda) chicken

3rd cook ever, GF got me the green egg book so I’m gonna give it a shot even though I know most people swear by spatchcock.

first issue my chicken holder didn’t have room for a beer can!  Made my own little bowl...then put it directly on a baking sheet with more of the liquid only to realize my egg isn’t on a level surface so all the liquid goes to one side.   Plus it’s snowing and 15 degrees so I’m having issues getting up to temp.  Just venting as a first timer!  

Oh oh I also inverted the bird.  Will post more pics of my tumultuous cook.   

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited February 2019
    Don’t sweat the liquid.  Really not needed in the egg.  Big props on the inverta bird.  You’re prolly making LS smile.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Good thinking! Perhaps it's the angle of the picture, but I'm wondering by the size if that isn't a turkey sitter instead of a yard bird sitter.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    edited February 2019
    It’s only a 3 lb
    LOL - OK the bird is 3 pounds, but I meant the sitter. Typically a chicken sitter is short like the size of a beer can. Yours looks like a chicken would be riding high in the saddle!
  • Nice logo on your shirt (profile pic), I’m a double domer myself
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Came out awesome!  Skin was a little fatty and tough though, any suggestions?wesome
  • Bird looks tasty, what temp did you cook at? 
  • It was all over from around 200 to start to 350ish at the end couldn’t keep the temp going
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Higher cook temps are required to crisp skim on the egg. Also, a sprinkle of corn starch over your rub will dramatically improve the crispness. Temps 350-400 works great on the egg. No problem with higher temps on the egg. 

BTW, great maiden voyage! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Way to stay after it.  Give the bird an over-night fridge air-dry before cooking next time.  Will definitely improve the skin texture. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    RRP said:
    It’s only a 3 lb
    LOL - OK the bird is 3 pounds, but I meant the sitter. Typically a chicken sitter is short like the size of a beer can. Yours looks like a chicken would be riding high in the saddle!
    Think it’s a combination of small size bird and legs up. It’s the same height as the ones I have seen and used. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Great looking bird. 

In addition to air drying the bird and cooking a little hotter-you can also try getting it higher in the dome. That same set up you have you could put the grid in place over the plate setter and put the chicken stand on the grid. If you get it higher in the dome you get more of a convection from the air moving over the bird as it slips up towards the exhaust, and also some reflective heat off the dome. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thanks boys!  Btw it was snowing /sleeting yesterday do you think that was my issue with the temp not getting up and staying?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    The weather has very little impact on the egg. I’m guessing it wasn’t a stabilized fire. I always let the egg burn for 45min or so without any vent movements.  Once you hold temp long enough for the ceramics to heat up you won’t have to chase the temps.  

For @RRP  a few gifts I received over the yrs.  Neither will hold a beer can(not that it’s needed).  One for inverted sheeken and the turkey one hasn’t been used but once. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    The weather has very little impact on the egg. I’m guessing it wasn’t a stabilized fire. I always let the egg burn for 45min or so without any vent movements.  Once you hold temp long enough for the ceramics to heat up you won’t have to chase the temps.  

For @RRP  a few gifts I received over the yrs.  Neither will hold a beer can(not that it’s needed).  One for inverted sheeken and the turkey one hasn’t been used but once. 

Thank you! Years ago I purchased a ceramic device called a "Willie's Chicken Sitter" as well as one for a turkey that you filled with beer, wine or whatever. Somehow when they arrived I just knew that I would never use the turkey one and returned it.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Great job!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Nice cook @DrWhiskey694.  In addition to the comments above, I think poking holes in the chicken skin prior to the cook helps with crispness.  It allows the fat to render out and not be stuck under the skin.  
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Seems like something Madonna uses on stage...
    Now try a spatchcock chicken! 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Thanks guys!  Def gonna spatchcock a chicken.  Doing some more drumsticks this weekend!