Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time making homemade bread...

Options
2»

Comments

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

I can't stop

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Bet your kitchen smells heavenly.  Those look great.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Norah Grace made her first loaf on  Thanksgiving Day she was so proud of how it turned out.   She did a great job.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    You might want to check out the recipes on the King Arthur site. Their flours have a higher protein content than others and the recipes are formulated to reflect that. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @ryantt NG is a rockstar.  i've seen those award winning cupcakes, now this bread.... can't imagine what she'll be doing in a few more years.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @blind99 it’s hard to say, I hope she’s still hanging out with dad but I feel like that might change. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Here’s another loaf today and some bagels

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    I too have joined this bread game.  Pics below are from my first cook, better than expected, a long way to go to catch up the veterans on this site..

Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    caliking said:
    Dude, that's a nice loaf!

Re: the starter's pedigree, I made my starter the old fashioned way in Dec 2017 (I think). It plugged along for several months, but then seemed to lose some of its vigor, so I arranged a conjugal visit for it with @20stone 's starter, which I believe he obtained from Andrew V (star butcher at Revival Market here in Houston, and all-around terrific guy). At some point, John's starter went south, so I gave him some of mine to get him back in the game. A part of that then made its way to @blind99, and then on to you.

So, this starter gets around :)

They way our starter got going was I spotted the origins of the Wild Yeast thread, and wanted in.  I piped up and both @NDG and @Thatgrimguy sent me some. For awhile, I kept them separate (That Grim Goo and A Boy Named Goo), and fed one AP and the other WW.  I eventually got tired of messing w two, and combined them.  I subsequently killed it off, and got a drollop from Andrew V, which, for you Houston folks, is the starter they use for the pizza dough at Coltivare.

As @caliking noted, the new starter got shared with a number of folks, including one of our sons in SF (yes, starter TO SF, “Vlad”, short for “Vladimir Gluten”), @caliking (“Maximus”) and @blind99 ("Bob the Blob" (deceased), "Rob the Blob" (flourishing).  That ended up being helpful when I managed to kill off Goo, and got a dose from @caliking.  Our replacement starter (Goo’s grandyeast) rode in the armrest of @20stones@20stonespice's  X5 next to some feminine hygiene products, and was thus dubbed “Maxipadimus”, or “Padi”. 

The passing along of starter is a fun wrinkle in the baking, and, as you've seen, makes for some great bread as well.

Welcome to the cult.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • JacksDad
    Options

@20stone
    Thank you. Very cool. I'm trying to interest my local friends to take up baking as a hobby, to spread the love (and yeast) around.

As we are on a big musical kick in my house right now, we have decided to name ours Bob Dough-lan

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• 20stone
    Options
    JacksDad said:

@20stone
    Thank you. Very cool. I'm trying to interest my local friends to take up baking as a hobby, to spread the love (and yeast) around.

As we are on a big musical kick in my house right now, we have decided to name ours Bob Dough-lan

Excellent on all fronts, though sourdough is more like acoustic-Bob.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    20stone said:
    caliking said:
    Dude, that's a nice loaf!

Re: the starter's pedigree, I made my starter the old fashioned way in Dec 2017 (I think). It plugged along for several months, but then seemed to lose some of its vigor, so I arranged a conjugal visit for it with @20stone 's starter, which I believe he obtained from Andrew V (star butcher at Revival Market here in Houston, and all-around terrific guy). At some point, John's starter went south, so I gave him some of mine to get him back in the game. A part of that then made its way to @blind99, and then on to you.

So, this starter gets around :)

They way our starter got going was I spotted the origins of the Wild Yeast thread, and wanted in.  I piped up and both @NDG and @Thatgrimguy sent me some. For awhile, I kept them separate (That Grim Goo and A Boy Named Goo), and fed one AP and the other WW.  I eventually got tired of messing w two, and combined them.  I subsequently killed it off, and got a drollop from Andrew V, which, for you Houston folks, is the starter they use for the pizza dough at Coltivare.

As @caliking noted, the new starter got shared with a number of folks, including one of our sons in SF (yes, starter TO SF, “Vlad”, short for “Vladimir Gluten”), @caliking (“Maximus”) and @blind99 ("Bob the Blob" (deceased), "Rob the Blob" (flourishing).  That ended up being helpful when I managed to kill off Goo, and got a dose from @caliking.  Our replacement starter (Goo’s grandyeast) rode in the armrest of @20stones@20stonespice's  X5 next to some feminine hygiene products, and was thus dubbed “Maxipadimus”, or “Padi”. 

The passing along of starter is a fun wrinkle in the baking, and, as you've seen, makes for some great bread as well.

Welcome to the cult.
    i knew there was more to the (hi)story, but was fuzzy on the details.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JacksDad
    Options

Okay all you bakers out there, give me some ideas on how to use the "discard" portion of my sourdough starter, after I feed it...

I've been keeping it in the fridge, adding to it each day when I feed my starter, which sits out on the counter. Since the discards are pretty runny, I tried taking a scoop out and frying it up like a pancake. Not bad, but nothing great. 

Then I found a recipe using discarded starter to make sourdough biscuits. I made it, they are pretty tasty (See below, next time will increase the butter in these), but they required an 8 hour rise, kneading, and then another rise. Which is basically just baking with starter (nothing special about using the discarded portion).

Anyway, any ideas are appreciated! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• 20stone
    Options
    Waffles were my go to for the discard (I use the NYTimes recipe).  You can also fridge the starter for about a week between feedings if you want to cut down on the cycles.

Those biscuits/rolls, however, look excellent!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Grilltastic
    Options
    I keep my starter in fridge and feed every 2 weeks with no problems. Very active after feeding in about 4 hours. I let my starter come to room temp then feed and put back in fridge the next day. works great. I have used my discarded starter for pancakes.
    Boynton Beach, Fl
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You can even go longer than two weeks. I have some backup in the fridge that gets fed about once a month.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Looks professionally made
    Nicely done
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    edited February 2019
    Options
    JacksDad said:

Not directly egg related, but when the weather improves around here, I'm definitely making this bread on my egg instead of in the oven...

I got this book for Christmas, and started with their first recipe with yeast, they call it "artisinal" bread. 

Basically just flour, water, yeast, salt, and some beer and vinegar. Rises for 8-12 hours, knead for one minute, rise for another 1-2 hours. Then cooked in the dutch oven, which makes this beautiful crust:

I gotta say, I'm extremely excited about the results, given this was my first few tries. But I have some questions for you experts:

1) what's the best yeast to use? I bought some packets of instant rise yeast at the grocery  store. My first attempt, the bread didn't rise much at all, so I used more yeast on the second batch and got a much better rise in the same amount of time. I know the yeast strain plays a part in the flavor of the bread, and @blind99 promised to send me some sourdough starter. Are there other strains/brands of yeast that people like to use? And where did you get them? 

2) what's the best flour to use? I like the King Arthur's, but it was literally just the bag we happened to have in the pantry. Are there other brands that people like, and where do you get them? My supermarket selection didn't seem that great...

Thanks all! I'll post more in this thread as I try new things...

JacksDad

Well, that pretty much pisses me off..  I've been making bread for years, and your first go looks better than anything I've made..  ;-)
    Very nice, thanks for sharing!
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Just took this one out of the oven. Olive oil and fresh rosemary 

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • JacksDad
    Options
    GlennM said:
    Just took this one out of the oven. Olive oil and fresh rosemary 

That's beautiful! 

I never even knew that proofing baskets existed. Now I ordered two of them on Amazon! I want those nice swirls that you all have! 

Here's my effort for today, using my pedigreed sourdough starter, Bob Dough-lan:

I am making four more loaves tomorrow, going to divide each in half and then give them around the neighborhood... I honestly can't believe how easy it is to make such good bread, with just a little preparation and planning ahead...

I made two with King Arthur AP, and two with King Arthur Bread Flour. Interested to see what the difference is...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• JacksDad
    Options

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• JacksDad
    Options

Okay, I need more help from the expert bakers...

This was my batch from today. Because I was doing two half loaves for each baking cycle, I cooked them sitting flat on a baking pan (not in a Dutch oven). I got a nice rise and round loaves. For the first few loaves, I had a water pan in the bottom of the oven for humidity, but took it out. Doesn't seem to have made a difference in the crust. 

The crust on all them came out this unappetizing brownish grey color, instead of the nice crusty golden brown I was hoping for... 

I guess the Dutch oven is important for getting the golden crust (at least in my oven)... Does that make sense with all of your past experiences? Or did I do something else wrong? 

When cut, the inside is beautiful and delicious, so no complaints there...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I don't know what you're talking about, because that looks like a load of great bread from here.

A burst of steam in the beginning helps with oven spring, and impacts the crust as well. Instead of the pan of water, try letting the pan heat up in the oven, then add 2 cups or so of ice cubes when you load the dough in to bake .

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JacksDad
    Options

I literally can't stop... I think the Dutch oven makes a huge difference. And no water pan for this one. THIS is the crust I was looking for! 

Also, I was very methodical about adding the water slowly to the kitchen aid while it mixed, and I let it knead for a while until it wasn't sticking to the bowl. I think the crumb came out very nicely! 
    Large BGE -- New Jersey

• JacksDad
    Options

Some more recent loaves:

Made a brisket yesterday. Had a brisket sammie on homemade sourdough for lunch... Mmmmm....

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Man, you are progressing quickly!! Looks amazing!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
     "Origins of a Yeast Infection"
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga