Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Options

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    TTC said:
    Flights, rental car, lodging, and lift tickets for a last minute ski trip with my 10 year old daughter.
    Awesome. @ttc Where are you headed?  

@oldgeezeystax I taught skiing in the not so distant past.  I will not say what the best age is to start, but 3 year olds were not uncommon in lessons.  My favorite age just past the really good 6-8 year olds, were the 4-6 year olds who were able to turn and stop fast enough not to hit someone, but wanted to go faster than they were allowed to go.  They had no fear, but still listened. I gave them frisbees and we used them as both objects to ski around and through. But the best was when they held them as steering wheels and I told them to make racing car sounds as they made turns coming down the mountain.  Man, did we have fun! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Looks like I’m going to be buying a new heat pump and duct work. Five year old unit installed by previous homeowner. Oversized for the existing ductwork and a horribly moldy smelling air handler. Air handler can’t be cleaned. I swear this feels like an episode of Seinfeld... 
    What if the duct work is undersized for the heat load and the unit capacity is adequate? 
    Somebody needs to do some calculating.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    TTC said:
    Flights, rental car, lodging, and lift tickets for a last minute ski trip with my 10 year old daughter.
    Awesome. @ttc Where are you headed?  

@oldgeezeystax I taught skiing in the not so distant past.  I will not say what the best age is to start, but 3 year olds were not uncommon in lessons.  My favorite age just past the really good 6-8 year olds, were the 4-6 year olds who were able to turn and stop fast enough not to hit someone, but wanted to go faster than they were allowed to go.  They had no fear, but still listened. I gave them frisbees and we used them as both objects to ski around and through. But the best was when they held them as steering wheels and I told them to make racing car sounds as they made turns coming down the mountain.  Man, did we have fun! 
    Excellent advice. FWIW I've only ever snowboarded, do you think I should have my daughter learn skiing first?

Older purchase that will soon be paying off for me is flights/rental car to visit my buddy out in SLC next week and hit the mountains hard. I've only ever ridden east coast resorts so this should blow my meager mind...
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,191
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Looks like I’m going to be buying a new heat pump and duct work. Five year old unit installed by previous homeowner. Oversized for the existing ductwork and a horribly moldy smelling air handler. Air handler can’t be cleaned. I swear this feels like an episode of Seinfeld... 
    What if the duct work is undersized for the heat load and the unit capacity is adequate? 
    Somebody needs to do some calculating.
    My guy did. It’s a no brainer that’s it’s an oversized unit for the application. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Oversized, and if it doesn't unload, yeah, I can see you'd be having humidity problems and that's a classic cause of odor.
    Options
    Excellent advice. FWIW I've only ever snowboarded, do you think I should have my daughter learn skiing first?

Older purchase that will soon be paying off for me is flights/rental car to visit my buddy out in SLC next week and hit the mountains hard. I've only ever ridden east coast resorts so this should blow my meager mind...
    I do not snowboard nor have I ever taught snowboarding, so I can not make a well educated comment. I will say that I think it is easier for the very little ones to have their feet move independently only because of their strength and length of their stride. I could be way off base here though.  I would definitely talk to the ski school when the time comes to get her on the snow. They will know best. 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

I do not snowboard nor have I ever taught snowboarding, so I can not make a well educated comment. I will say that I think it is easier for the very little ones to have their feet move independently only because of their strength and length of their stride. I could be way off base here though.  I would definitely talk to the ski school when the time comes to get her on the snow. They will know best. 
    The adage is: skiing is easier to learn but harder to master and snowboarding is harder to learn and easier to master.

That said, snowboarding is statistically safer... as to why, my guess is because the legs are both bound together through the board vs independent.

Note:  I've never snowboarded but have skied from a young age.
    Options
    I would guess there are more head injuries in snowboarding. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • alaskanassasin
    Options

I would definitely get a second opinion! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    Options

Nah. This guy is sharp as a tack and is too honest to be working in HVAC. He does all of my HVAC installs for my business. (Several installs a month). I trust him 100%. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Good guess:

Nah. This guy is sharp as a tack and is too honest to be working in HVAC. He does all of my HVAC installs for my business. (Several installs a month). I trust him 100%. 
      That is cool, it is nice to work with people who aren't out to line their own pockets.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    Options

That is cool, it is nice to work with people who aren't out to line their own pockets.
    It’s rare for sure. Very refreshing.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    oldgeezeystax said:
    Yes, it will!  Good timing, we've had two good storms in the last 10 days, and another storm coming this weekend.  Have fun, and PICS!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Botch
    Options
    Skiers break legs, snowboarders break wrists.  

Both who ignore posted areas and avalanche warnings, die.  There's been too many this season.  

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I know y’all probably won’t believe this, I bought some new overalls today. Will post pics later when I’m home.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

Sea2Skioldgeezeystax

I started her skiing when she was 7, and she is by far my most enthusiastic skier - her brothers and her mom enjoy it but daughter and I can't get enough.

I just got back from a guys trip to Vail and the conditions were the best I've ever seen. We skied 97 miles and 83,000 feet of vertical in 3 days. Every muscle I have is still screaming days later.

On the plane home all I could think of was how to cram one more trip in this season and the path of least resistance was a quick trip with little girl.

We going to Winter Park, its an old standby for us. Great value, close to DIA, and we have friends who have a condo at the base so we are very familiar with the layout.

Wife and I are going to Telluride for our 20th anniversary in late March. When it is just the two of us Telluride is the only place you will find us, we love it beyond description.

Oh, and what's the only difference between a vacuum cleaner and a snowboard? Where you attach the dirtbag…….

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SGH said:
    Picked up a little 22 ammo today. 

That should keep you busy for a few days ;)
    She will be a bonafide sniper after running through that ammo!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

This is is my youngest shooting for the first time.  I think it was New Years Eve this winter.  She’s shooting one of my Smith & Wesson model 63.  I have two of them for range dates with Wilma.  It shoots 22LR.  She did pretty well.  As soon as I’m able, we’ll go again.
    Flint, Michigan
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Nice weaver stance!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    A stairway to heaven
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Another fine pair of overalls.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Options

This is is my youngest shooting for the first time.  I think it was New Years Eve this winter.  She’s shooting one of my Smith & Wesson model 63.  I have two of them for range dates with Wilma.  It shoots 22LR.  She did pretty well.  As soon as I’m able, we’ll go again.
    Earplugs, I hope?  
    I'm not trying to diss here, trying to keep her from having the tinnitus I have.  

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Botch said:

Earplugs, I hope?  
    I'm not trying to diss here, trying to keep her from having the tinnitus I have.  
    Huh! What’s that you said???? JKOC. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    A Shun honing steel and a cookbook. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Sometimes I just wish clues were for sale.  I would buy a truckload and hand them out, keep a few for myself too.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Botch said:

Earplugs, I hope?  
    I have that blasted ringing in my ears too.  Too much chainsaws & what have you blaring in my youth. Her hair is covering her db protection.
    Flint, Michigan
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    @SGH ....forget keeping up with the joneses....they was trying to keep up with you