Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Drunk Drivers

Options

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Friday my nieces husband dropped her and my grandnephew( in the picture) off at the preschool that she manages. He then continued to his place of employment at a decorative ironworks. Then a drunk driver, without insurance, rammed his 4 door pickup into the back end of their new one month old Prius Prime. It was my nieces favorite color and the first new vehicle for either of them. More  important 20 minutes earlier that little boy had been in the back seat. His father got by with a concussion and two days of vertigo. Drunk all you want to but don't drive afterwards.
    Sounds like all dodged the bullet which is GREAT.

Up here in IL my 89 year old neighbor who fell off an extension ladder 3 years ago has been months and months in recovery, nursing homes and weeks and weeks of home recovery with paid night persons. Now in home recovery he still can't walk without his walker much less hold his head upright.

He insisted that he wanted to renew his drivers license. When his wife drove him to the IL db he was passed WITHOUT any restrictions such as driving in day light only!  

DAMN....the man can't take a p*ss much less a sh*t without physical help of his wife or a paid nurse and yet he got an Illinios driver's license! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:
    Friday my nieces husband dropped her and my grandnephew( in the picture) off at the preschool that she manages. He then continued to his place of employment at a decorative ironworks. Then a drunk driver, without insurance, rammed his 4 door pickup into the back end of their new one month old Prius Prime. It was my nieces favorite color and the first new vehicle for either of them. More  important 20 minutes earlier that little boy had been in the back seat. His father got by with a concussion and two days of vertigo. Drunk all you want to but don't drive afterwards.

Up here in IL my 89 year old neighbor who fell off an extension ladder 3 years ago has been months and months in recovery, nursing homes and weeks and weeks of home recovery with paid night persons. Now in home recovery he still can't walk without his walker much less hold his head upright.

He insisted that he wanted to renew his drivers license. When his wife drove him to the IL db he was passed WITHOUT any restrictions such as driving in day light only!  

DAMN....the man can't take a p*ss much less a sh*t without physical help of his wife or a paid nurse and yet he got an Illinios driver's license! 

Incredible Ron! Just... incredible!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options
    They were unannounced in Raleigh, they snagged anyone turning around etc. They also had a bus on site with a magistrate.
    Unannounced....fine.  But how is it legal to stop someone who turns around (so long as they do not commit a traffic violation in doing so?)  Its just like an officer claiming they have the right to search your car if you refuse a search.....plenty of case law says refusing to surrender your rights is not RAS nor grounds for a warrant.  

The local guys told me the same thing.....if we see anybody get off at the Shell station prior to the checkpoint, we just pull them over anyway.  Not legal.

There used to be "safety checks" over in IL.....East St. Louis specifically.  They would set up checkpoints and check peoples licenses, insurance, and registration.   If you were white or have out of state plates, they'd wave you right through.  But otherwise you'd be stopped.  They issued a ton of tickets since it was a poor neighborhood and people didnt know their rights.  Never saw a single one of those in the nicer areas in the 24 yrs I lived in IL. 
    It needs to be policed but not at the expense of our personal rights.  It seems all to often these days that people are okay with violating others rights as long as it benefits a cause they believe in......
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    RRP said:

I  should have mentioned that here IL where there have been years and YEARS of graf  and crooks - in fact sending 3 former govenors to many years in federal prison! This neighbor is not a  wealthy, nor "politically connected" person yet some employee looked the other way and pssed him!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think they should change the IL DMV driving competence test to being able to piss and crap without assistance.   Seems legit...
    Yeah, drivers In IL suck. (I live in IL, way south) 

Seems everyone wants to tailgate 24/7. Just leave earlier!!!!! And when we get our obligatory 2" of snow, mass parking of cars in ditches ensues. Seems like nobody can just take a sec and slow down. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Glad everyone except the Prius turned out ok. Lost a friend I grew up with about 8 years ago. She had just gotten married,  and returned from their honeymoon. ..
    Got hit by a drunk illegal....he hopped, skipped and jumped the border back down to mexico
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    Glad everyone except the Prius turned out ok. Lost a friend I grew up with about 8 years ago. She had just gotten married,  and returned from their honeymoon. ..
    Got hit by a drunk illegal....he hopped, skipped and jumped the border back down to mexico
    Shocking.  Most drunk drivers are not identified primarily by immigration or citizen status.  

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-crime-immigrants-idUSKBN1AO2EC
    Options
    @nolaegghead. I can appreciate input on that, however statistics can be easily manipulated to show whatever facts the observer wishes to convey.  

There is the classic example of a positive correlation can be made with association of ice cream with drowning deaths in summer....however realistically this is not true....what is really happening is its summer....there's naturally more ice cream consumption.....its hot and summer people are swimming ...swimming leads to drowning deaths...not ice cream....

Now saying that,  I'm not saying or trying to argue all illegals are drunks, or criminals...but there are certain cases and this was one.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    They were unannounced in Raleigh, they snagged anyone turning around etc. They also had a bus on site with a magistrate.
    Unannounced....fine.  But how is it legal to stop someone who turns around (so long as they do not commit a traffic violation in doing so?)  Its just like an officer claiming they have the right to search your car if you refuse a search.....plenty of case law says refusing to surrender your rights is not RAS nor grounds for a warrant.  

The local guys told me the same thing.....if we see anybody get off at the Shell station prior to the checkpoint, we just pull them over anyway.  Not legal.

There used to be "safety checks" over in IL.....East St. Louis specifically.  They would set up checkpoints and check peoples licenses, insurance, and registration.   If you were white or have out of state plates, they'd wave you right through.  But otherwise you'd be stopped.  They issued a ton of tickets since it was a poor neighborhood and people didnt know their rights.  Never saw a single one of those in the nicer areas in the 24 yrs I lived in IL. 
    To address the legality of pulling over someone over that turns off from a checkpoint. It is perfectly legal to make the stop you described.  It is a Reasonable Suspicion stop. 
    Reasonable suspicion is defined as when the facts or circumstances would lead a reasonable person to believe that a crime has been, is being our about to be committed. This is also known as a Terry stop. Case law upheld in Terry v. Ohio. 
    In this checkpoint scenario, if a checkpoint is well announced and a driver decides to turn out right before the checkpoint, it can be reasonably assumed that they are avoiding the checkpoint because they may be impaired. Once it is determined that the driver is not impaired, they must be let go because the RS for the stop had been satisfied. 

Las Vegas, NV

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    @nolaegghead. I can appreciate input on that, however statistics can be easily manipulated to show whatever facts the observer wishes to convey.  

There is the classic example of a positive correlation can be made with association of ice cream with drowning deaths in summer....however realistically this is not true....what is really happening is its summer....there's naturally more ice cream consumption.....its hot and summer people are swimming ...swimming leads to drowning deaths...not ice cream....

Now saying that,  I'm not saying or trying to argue all illegals are drunks, or criminals...but there are certain cases and this was one.
    If I let my car registration sticker expire, I generally speed less/drive more carefully until I get a new sticker.  I don’t want to draw more attention to myself while I’m driving a car with a lapsed registration and get a ticket.  

The problem with that tragic story about your friend’s death is that the inclusion of the outcome (hopped, skipped back over the border) implies that his actions after the crime had some bearing on the crime in the first place.  Like, I’m not here legally so I might as well enjoy it and break all the laws I can and just bail back down to Mexico when this joy ride comes to an end.  This feeds this recent characterization that’s growing in popularity among white people with gray or orange hair that illegals=criminals=more crime.  The PEW article just puts forth a very straightforward look at the numbers which don’t support the characterization above.  No fancy statistics and I don’t think they’re putting forward an ice cream=drowning correlation, they’re debunking one.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Mississippi  has required liability insurance for many years. It is a $1200.00 fine not to have it. I would like them to take it one step further: no liability insurance means no license tag and the insurance company to notify law enforcement if the insurance lapses.
    NC has this law. One of my guys was pulled over and had his tag taken at roadside. They watched while he towed his car. Turned out DMV had issued the stop by mistake. Bad for him, but still a good law if you have ever been hit by someone with no insurance as I have.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    IL DMV Worker: "Mr. Smith, I understand you are here to renew your IL State Driver's License.  Are you able to piss and **** unassisted during both the standing/sitting process, as well as, while performing either a forward or backward wipe?"

Mr. Smith: "Yes."

IL DMW Worker: "Thank you for confirming that.  Here is your new license."

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Mississippi  has required liability insurance for many years. It is a $1200.00 fine not to have it. I would like them to take it one step further: no liability insurance means no license tag and the insurance company to notify law enforcement if the insurance lapses.
    NC has this law. One of my guys was pulled over and had his tag taken at roadside. They watched while he towed his car. Turned out DMV had issued the stop by mistake. Bad for him, but still a good law if you have ever been hit by someone with no insurance as I have.
    I have twice with the same car back in the 80’s.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    that is awful, glad everyone  is relatively ok.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options

Seems everyone wants to tailgate 24/7. Just leave earlier!!!!! And when we get our obligatory 2" of snow, mass parking of cars in ditches ensues. Seems like nobody can just take a sec and slow down. 
    Clearly you have never been to Arkansas...When I would drive back from Memphis I could not stand it. People would drive 65 (speed limit was 70) in the left lane all the time.  More so than they do here in IL.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options

Clearly you have never been to Arkansas...When I would drive back from Memphis I could not stand it. People would drive 65 (speed limit was 70) in the left lane all the time.  More so than they do here in IL.
    Actually, the drivers in Arkansas were "trained" to drive in the left hand lane during the I-40 re-do because the heavy vehicle traffic had torn the right hand lane up to a choppy mess!  That was YEARS ago but the behavior still lingers.

If you want a local example of how bad I-40 was through AR, take a trip up 67/167 to Searcy! 

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    edited February 2019
    Options
    He started to run off but the truck wouldn’t go.
    Straight to firing squad then as far as I'm concerned.
    I would rather that he be jailed. While jailed he be dropped of at a job every day and picked up every evening. His income to be forfeited to pay for his jail costs and the damage that he has done. Why should he get the easy way out?

So he wakes up every day, eats breakfast, goes to work taking a job someone that isn't a criminal could use then gets his free ride back to jail (home) every night for dinner & bedtime, sounds a little too much like normal life to me, I think @TEXASBGE2018 had it right

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • chard
    chard Posts: 67
    Options
    In Minnesota auto insurance has mandatory "uninsured" and "underinsured" coverage that pays the policy holder (you) in case the at-fault person either has no insurance or not enough insurance to cover the damages.  That helps with the no insurance issue.  And you can have your umbrella coverage pick up uninsured and underinsured coverage, too.  American Family (our insurer) doesn't include these benefits in the umbrella unless you ask them to specifically do so.  But when you do the amount added to the umbrella premium is very small and you then get peace of mind that there will be enough insurance should something happen; i.e. you control the coverage amount regardless of whether the other guy has no insurance or small limits.  Well worth it to check into this option.
    Eggin' with a Large and Small
    Twin Cities, MN
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

To address the legality of pulling over someone over that turns off from a checkpoint. It is perfectly legal to make the stop you described.  It is a Reasonable Suspicion stop. 
    Reasonable suspicion is defined as when the facts or circumstances would lead a reasonable person to believe that a crime has been, is being our about to be committed. This is also known as a Terry stop. Case law upheld in Terry v. Ohio. 
    In this checkpoint scenario, if a checkpoint is well announced and a driver decides to turn out right before the checkpoint, it can be reasonably assumed that they are avoiding the checkpoint because they may be impaired. Once it is determined that the driver is not impaired, they must be let go because the RS for the stop had been satisfied. 
    So how are you assuming that over the fact that they needed gas, went the wrong way, decided to hit the grocery store, or any of the other million reasons they could turn around?  How are you assuming they knew about it.....maybe they're from out of town?  I don't get how turning around PRIOR to a checkpoint (not in the checkpoint), and not making a traffic violation when doing so, automatically gives you RAS.  If you follow the guy for a while and see them swerve, drive too slow or fast, that's another story.  But refusing to participate is not grounds for it INSIDE the checkpoint either. 

When you stop that car after they turn around, or even in the checkpoint, do you inform them that they are NOT being detained?  If I roll down my window an inch, tell you I am not participating in this, and ask am I free to go, do you let the person go or continue to question them?  Similar scenario - someone walking down the street open carrying a firearm in my state, the police CANNOT stop and question that person for their ID or anything else.  Carrying a firearm is not illegal and should not draw suspicion just because someone doesn't like it--there so much abuse of this, that the state had to pass a law saying that carrying a firearm doesn't give a peace officer RAS.  So..... 

My whole point of this is that Terry v Ohio is something very useful to you guys.....it's been around MANY years and has even been expanded on instead of limited.  But if the police keep taking liberties on this, you *will* eventually piss off the wrong guy who will run this through the system.  If it's the right case for the ACLU, or other organization to latch onto, it will get very high in the court system.  You may see your very useful Terry stop/frisk go away.  I would prefer to see you guys use your fine police skills and education as a basis for stopping people vs. just stopping EVERYONE in a checkpoint like a bunch of untrained vigilantes.  
  • saluki2007
    Options

Actually, the drivers in Arkansas were "trained" to drive in the left hand lane during the I-40 re-do because the heavy vehicle traffic had torn the right hand lane up to a choppy mess!  That was YEARS ago but the behavior still lingers.

If you want a local example of how bad I-40 was through AR, take a trip up 67/167 to Searcy! 

Interesting tid bit.  Never made my way that way.  Mostly stayed on I-55.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    Options
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Legume said:
    DuckDogDr said:

If I let my car registration sticker expire, I generally speed less/drive more carefully until I get a new sticker.  I don’t want to draw more attention to myself while I’m driving a car with a lapsed registration and get a ticket.  

The problem with that tragic story about your friend’s death is that the inclusion of the outcome (hopped, skipped back over the border) implies that his actions after the crime had some bearing on the crime in the first place.  Like, I’m not here legally so I might as well enjoy it and break all the laws I can and just bail back down to Mexico when this joy ride comes to an end.  This feeds this recent characterization that’s growing in popularity among white people with gray or orange hair that illegals=criminals=more crime.  The PEW article just puts forth a very straightforward look at the numbers which don’t support the characterization above.  No fancy statistics and I don’t think they’re putting forward an ice cream=drowning correlation, they’re debunking one.
    He wasn't talking statistics or making generalizations......he's relaying details of a actual event.  I'm sure the guy was here working real hard and living his best life (albeit illegally).  Unfortunately, his expression of "freedom" included driving while impaired and concluded with the death of an innocent bystander.  Sorry this hard working young fellas actions don't fit y'alls immigration model.....statistically speaking.  
    Give me a freaking break.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    DuckDogDr said:

He wasn't talking statistics or making generalizations......he's relaying details of a actual event.  I'm sure the guy was here working real hard and living his best life (illegally).  Unfortunately, his expression of "freedom" included driving while impaired and concluded with the death of an innocent bystander.  Sorry this hard working young fellas actions don't fit y'alls immigration model.....statistically speaking.  
    Give me a freaking break.  
    His response was in response to an article that Nola quoted in which data is cited.  There’s a broader context here after his initial comment about the immigrant committing the DWI.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Sewell this has on occasion strayed far from my original post but has stayed relatively civil. 
  • GATraveller
    Options
    My bad.  I thought @Legume was saying that, statistically speaking, crimes committed by illegal immigrants were down and @DuckDogDr was fueling a misconception with his verbiage.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    glad everyones alright

not sure why but im seeing more drunk drivers lately. posted about the guy i reported a few weeks back in the morning, couldnt stand less drive looking for the mechanic on the street that installs car start  breath analyzers, didnt get good feedback on that post.  last week waiting on a tire rotation watch a car drive up for service, car alarm lit up as he is driving, notice he is drinking a coors light while driving with the alarm blaring. add to that all the pot smoke im smelling on the roadways since legalization

definitely up your insurance policies,  my brothers bills were up around a half mill,  round two in operations are a few years away. a little nissan z did that going about a hundred mph over the speedlimit, the puke blamed his passenger and even went out of his way to get the same tattoos as the passenger to try and lie his way out of court

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    My bad.  I thought @Legume was saying that, statistically speaking, crimes committed by illegal immigrants were down and @DuckDogDr was fueling a misconception with his verbiage.
    For sure he was also saying that, it simply didn’t come out of nowhere.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    For sure he was also saying that, it simply didn’t come out of nowhere.
    Exactly.  And that's what I was speaking to.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA