Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Point of Brisket

TEXASBGE2018
TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
So I had an odd thing happen this weekend. Bought an 11lb Prime Brisket at Costco. Trimmed it down a pound or 2 as it had a good bit of hard fat on it and overnighted in the fridge with Meat Church Holy Gospel. Next morning put it on at 8AM. Cooked 9.5 hours till thick part of the flat was around 205 and the Brisket had a good bit of jiggle. Then the odd thing. The point was measuring about 185-190 still. So the dilemma. Do I pull it now when the flat is looking perfect or do I let it go a bit longer so the point is around 200? Well I played the short and took it off. Let it rest till around 145ish IT and the result. SUPER UNDER DONE POINT. I know the cow drives the cook but this just goes to show that its true. I cant recall the last time I had a point not finish before the flat. While it was salvageable. I didn't get that awesome Brisket Point that I prefer. Oh well. Keep on Keepin on.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• Oh and bark development was much much better this time around. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    With that I believe you were caught in the proverbial trick sack unless you separated the point and let in run longer.  Gotta admit I have never temp'd the point-perhaps I have dodged the bullet.  Will have to check it out on the next one.
    Good forum heads-up right there. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ya it was really strange. Flavor and moisture wise the flat was on target. Probably among the best I've done to date. As you can see above I kept it whole the entire cook and rest. It was only when I cut into it I realized I had a dud on the point.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    FWIW this may be a good opportunity to try burnt ends with the leftover point. I know burnt ends are a sin in TX but may be a good way to salvage the point. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FWIW this may be a good opportunity to try burnt ends with the leftover point. I know burnt ends are a sin in TX but may be a good way to salvage the point. 

Burnt Ends are among my favorite. I threw the Point in food saver bags to do something with later. That may be a good way to go.

• With the dual egg genius probe I've been probing my flat AND my point... Oddly the flat comes to temp faster (makes sense) but at approx 160 they hit nearly identical temps. This is at 225 grate temp on my XL egg. I have several that have done this. Nearly a 20 or 30 degree temp variance prior to 140ish and then less than 5 degrees after. Some are better rendered than others.  It's interesting to say the least.
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
    Tech:  EggGenius and Thermoworks Smoke w Gateway
    Lump: Rockwood/Fogo
    Wood: Cherry, Apple, PostOak, Pecan
    Meat: Costco, Deep Cuts
    Rubs: Meat Church, HardcoreCarnivore, John Henry's
  • I always do burnt ends with the point. Too fatty otherwise, needs to render down more. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The brisket is done when everything is probe tender.  Usually we just check the flat because it takes longer and the assumption is the point is long done.

But this is not always true.  If the flat is done and the point needs more time, cut the flat off the point and remove it because it will suffer from overcooking while the point can handle it to a larger degree.  

Dallas, TX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    That's an interesting situation.  I haven't experienced a time when the flat finished before the point.  Does sound like a perfect situation for burnt ends.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited February 2019
    How'd you improve the bark? 

I think it was improved by applying a bit more rub than I'm use to and also by not opening the egg for any reason for about the 1st 6 or 7 hours. Before I tended to have a habit of opening the lid every couple hours checking stuff out. Even if it was for 5-10 seconds I think that was really hurting my bark formation.

• The brisket is done when everything is probe tender.  Usually we just check the flat because it takes longer and the assumption is the point is long done.

But this is not always true.  If the flat is done and the point needs more time, cut the flat off the point and remove it because it will suffer from overcooking while the point can handle it to a larger degree.  
    Good "point". Might try that next time. I've never done it before but makes sense.