Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any tips for smoking pork tenderloin?

Options
Greetings, all.  I am a newbie - have used my XL Egg to smoke a pork shoulder, grill a spatchcocked chicken, and grill a few steaks and burgers so far.  I think I'm getting the hang of it.  I want to smoke a pork tenderloin tomorrow.  Now I know many say its not worth smoking because there is not enough fat, but when I lived in Chicago I used to shop at Paulina Meat Market and they used to sell this amazing pepper-encrusted smoked pork tenderloin.  I'd like to try and recreate it down here in FLA.  My first though was to ask them if they would share any tips, but - as luck would have it - they are shut down for the week for their annual winter break!!  So, I just thought I'd throw the question out there on this forum to see if anyone has ideas to share.  Greatly appreciate it.  Thanks!!

Comments

• Aubie1
    Aubie1 Posts: 436
    Options
    For some reason if you don't get any replies recommend you go to pork forum and google smoked pork tenderloin. You should find some helpful info there.
    I would give you some tips but I have not done any pork tenderloins on the egg. Good luck.
    XL BGE and L BGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I normally....CI pan sear.  Finish indirect.  Don't over cook. I prefer searing first on this particularly lean cut to seal in as much moisture as possible.

I guess you could go L&S for some smoke to begin.  And finish with a sear.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

direct  or indirect (i like direct raised)  350 till 200/205........... pulled pork tenderloins  

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CornfedMA
    Options
    I’m a fan of direct cooking lean cuts like this. If you like pepper, go for it. 325-350 should give you a decent finish on the outside. I like my tenderloin around medium, maybe a touch less so I take the internal to 135 or so. Good luck and welcome to the cult!
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I cook them pretty frequently but usually a quick weeknight cook. I cook them whole raised direct about 325 degrees to an IT of 145. 
  • Komokaegger
    Options
    We did one by slicing the tenderloin length wise and butterflying it open. Filled it with lightly sautéed onion and garlic with butter. Rolled it up with some partially cooked bacon around the outside and tied. Cooked it at 250 raised direct until IT of 140 deg...
    Was moist and delicious 
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
  • unoriginalusername
    Options

Literally just funished these 20min ago. Smoked with cherry wood at 250 and then seared quickly. Served with a sour cherry reduction sauce 
  • Komokaegger
    Options
    Looking good!
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I agree with the above who said direct cooking and pan searing. Do not go "low and slow" as the a tenderloin cooks very differently from a butt.  Pork tenderloin has very very little fat.  I would either find a recipe for butterfly & stuff, or cut medallions or pan sear.  Here's what I'm cooking tomorrow night...
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/77155/pork-tenderloin-alla-napoli/
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    edited February 2019
    Options
    High direct at 375 with Cavenders Greek Seasoning. Can’t miss! When it comes off serve on Sister Schuberts rolls with various BBQ sauces (including mustard).
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    I always do mine 375 raised direct. Takes about 25 to 35 minutes and pull at 145 internal. 
    Did these last night...

Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    I’ve got a pork tenderloin planned for tomorrow with a teriyaki marinade and run it indirect about 300/325 til IT reads 140. Turned out delicious last time 

• tybenj
    tybenj Posts: 58
    Options
    I usually go 325 direct, run with evoo and calendars, then pull at 135. Hardcore carnivore black is another simple thing to season with. 

I usually do pork loins during the week when I'm to lazy to make something more involved. Start the grill, season the loin, make a drink, throw it on the grill and wait .
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I got nothing except that Paulina’s was one of my favorite meat markets when I lived in Chicago. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX