Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I purchase this Wusthof knife set?

Shawnodell83
Shawnodell83 Posts: 53
edited February 2019 in EggHead Forum
Thinking about pulling the trigger on these thoughts?! $329 on Amazon 

Set includes: 2.25” peeling knife, 2.75” paring knife, 3” flat paring knife, 3” paring knife, 4.25” utility knife, 4.5” serrated utility knife, six 4.5” steak knives, 8” bread knife, 8” carving knife, 8” cook’s knife, 9" sharpening steel, kitchen shears and a 17-slot knife block.
Edwardsville, IL (Near St. Louis, MO)
Large Big Green Egg & Weber Genesis II 

Comments

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    I agree with @Acn ...  Individual knives will get you further along!  I have white handled Wustoffs that I've been using for over 40 years and I LOVE them!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    @ACN gives good advice. Same advice I got from a chef. Another thing too, if your looking for quality, is to make sure the knife is forged, not stamped. Looking at that pic, it would guess those are stamped, since its not a full tang. 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • To be honest, I’m not thar knowledganem on knives. I was wanting to replace the less than adequate set I’m using in my kitchen now. This seemed like a nice set. Is there better for the money? 
  • To be honest, I’m not thar knowledganem on knives. I was wanting to replace the less than adequate set I’m using in my kitchen now. This seemed like a nice set. Is there better for the money? 
    Sorry for misspells - 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    get a mag strip, buy a good chefs knife, then a boning knife or stiff fillet knife(used for boning).  those two and a cheap bread/tomato knife cover 99 percent of my needs if i dont count filleting fish. i have alot more knives but those are the three i grab. add some specialty knives later on, one for proscuitto, one for brisket, maybe a cleaver, clam knife, oyster knife, but those knives are not used often
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    My advice would be to get a nice set of steak knives that look different from your kitchen knives.  Whichever way you go with your kitchen knives.  Fwiw, I use 10” chefs knives, I’ve had some 8” in the past and I don’t favor them.  Also don’t like paring knives, I have some 5-6” knives that I use instead.  Took a while for me to recognize which knives I consistently reached for over others.  I’ve given the kids a fair number of set knives that I don’t use any longer.
  • I have the exact set that we have been using heavily since our wedding in 2000.  About a year ago the plastic on some of the handles was chipping off of the metal.  We packaged the broken ones up and sent in to Wusthof...a few weeks later we were sent brand new knives as replacement, no questions asked.  

The steak knives are adequate and we do use most of the knives in the block - although I do agree that focusing on a really good chef knife that is comfortable in your hands is a necessity.  
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Take a good look at the 'why' you're wanting to pull the trigger on these...

Like the others have said - get what you'll use. I've made my own "BGE Only" set of knives for myself - we've got the block with a mix/match of stuff, including a Cutco Spatula Spreader (I've never ever used...).  I just wanted some good stuff for when I'm Egging!

In my BBQ-centric set, I've got the 10" chef's, a 3.5" paring, a 12" granton slicer (for briskets), a 10" butcher and a 6" boning... and honestly, I use the chef's 75% of the time, followed by the slicer then the boning...
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Don't buy them! I'm a gadget freak, my wife is a kitchen gadget freak and we've both found that you can get perfectly good knives from some of the least likely places - Ikea has several very nice kitchen knives for under $20 each. Any restaurant supply place will have plenty of perfectly usable knives for around the same price. I recently bought a 10 inch cimeter (that's how it's spelled). It's a very substantial blade, comes razor sharp, and cost $9! I used it on some left over thawed out brisket (my daughter didn't eat what I sent home with her!) and it cut right through the stuff.

Don't bother with steak knives unless you've tried some and liked them. We have a bunch of inexpensive stainless flatware. The steak knives are pointed, but useless. The regular table knife does the job the best. Go figure.

For $329 you should be able to get plenty of nice knives and a very good pair of kitchen scissors AND some meat to smoke!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    also have a paring knife, seems to be the go to knife for guests,  i use the stiff fillet knife instead
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I wouldn't buy a set. I bought 3 Wustof Classics and a block and it was over $300. but I bought off Cutlery and More and got a $25 gift card back, which I used to buy another knife. no tax, free shipping. I bought a Cleaver, Bread knife and boning knife. I already had a nakiri, a chef's knife and a utility knife. I've always heard its better to buy the pieces you need and put a set together. Next up for me is a Super Slicer/ Brisket knife and a couple of pairing knifes.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    This is not for me, but it would have been 20+ years ago. It's a matter of how serious a cook you are and intend to become. These would be a wonderful set for a couple starting out with little BBQ or cooking experience. If that's where you are at then go for it. If you intend to be a good cook and enjoy cooking as a hobby then I would follow the advice of the others and resist the "set" mentality. Buy the most common knives you would use first and then fill in the gaps as you see fit. You will likely only use a few knives 90% of the time.

Happy shopping!
  • If these are the Gourmet line I would definitely pass. Classic/Classic Ikon are the only way to go with Wustof.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    by all means find a store that you can go into and handle/hold the knives.   I use 4 knive on a regular basis at home.  A good boning knife, a vegetable cleaver (just bc I like how it feels in my hand), a chefs knife and a “utility knife”
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited February 2019

Add me to the buy separate camp.  Another benifit is the knives are all different and easy reconizable.  I used to think matching cutlery was the way to go - i was wrong.
    Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Slippy said:
    @ACN gives good advice. Same advice I got from a chef. Another thing too, if your looking for quality, is to make sure the knife is forged, not stamped. Looking at that pic, it would guess those are stamped, since its not a full tang. 
    Many top quality knives these days are stamped and not forged. Metallurgy and manufacturing processes have changes a great deal since that was the common wisdom.
    Many top quality knives do not have full tangs. Most Japanese knives (which are all the rage with the kids these days) have what most folks would call "rat tail" tangs.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    HeavyG said:
    Slippy said:
    Many top quality knives these days are stamped and not forged. Metallurgy and manufacturing processes have changes a great deal since that was the common wisdom.
    Many top quality knives do not have full tangs. Most Japanese knives (which are all the rage with the kids these days) have what most folks would call "rat tail" tangs.
    I'm old.... 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    If you think you may do a lot of cooking in the future, put most of your money into 3 knives. A chefs, utility/petty, and a paring. Unless you slice lots of bread, or briskets. Then adding a bread knife or a slicer makes sense, as your budget allows. And, I notice, there's no boning knife in the set. I don't need to use one of those often, but it is a gotta have. And they say there is a "cooks" knife, not a "chef's." Cook's knives are typically shorter than chef's, and are not well suited for slicing. Thus, on needs a slicer in addition.

Most commodity knives offer this trade-off. The initial expense is modest, but they will need to be sharpened more or less frequently depending on use. W. heavy use, and sharpening, eventually need replacement.

A small plus for better knives. A good knife should cut a hundred pounds of onions, and you won't shed a tear because the cuts are so clean. When I start to tear, that is when I know to sharpen my better knives.

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 12
    One of the best things when I first started to cook was to take a knife skills class.  The one I took was at a local Sur La Table.  At my class, the instructor took one look at my hands and took away the stock 8" knife and replaced it with a 10".

I recommend that you find a local knife skills class.  Not only will you learn the knife skills, but you will get a good education on the knives themselves.  
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Keep giving me your money......come get some Shun and KAI.  I sold my set of wusthofs after I got the Shuns.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Still have my Wusthofs but much prefer my Shuns.  You only really need 3-4 handles.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I have the Wusthof Gran Prix set we got as a wedding gift 20 years ago and love them but agree with @Acn - don't get a set (other than a good set of steak knives for company). Paring, chef, boning and serrated will cover everything you'll do in a home kitchen. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I used my Wusthof paring knife today... to open a bag of cumin seeds. About all it's good for. Honestly, I NEVER use a paring knife! I don't even like pares! =)

As everyone has said, no sets. Start with a good chef's knife and add more as you discover a need. And try to hold it first to make sure it feels comfortable in your hand.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Some people prefer German knives, some prefer the Japanese knives. To each there own. Their is no wrong answer. I like German knives because they have a little more heft to them. I have one Shun, its nice, maybe I'm just scared I am going to break it. I like my knives to all match. I'm on of those people who needs a set to match or it will just bother me. Why my eggs are both green and my knife block has Wustof's only in them.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

• These guys talked me into a Shun. I picked one up at Williams-Sonoma outlet and it is almost the only knife I use. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    No.
    Mountain View, CA
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Restaurant depot....
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I'm not suggesting what you should do, but I'll put in my own experience, FWIW.  
    I bought a Henckel's 4-Star set that included an 11-slot block, a parer, 2 chef's knives, and a steel (sans steak knives/slots).  As I got ideas that "hey, I might be able to use that kind of knife", I'd wait until it was on sale (usually right before Mother's Day  =) ) and I'd buy another 4-Star, to add to my block.  
    As you can probably guess, the block was eventually filled (and I bought a set of 4 steak knives that sit in their box in a drawer).  
    I use all of them, some much more than others of course, but as a woodworker, I believe in having "the right tool for the job".  And here's the kicker, I spent a LOT more than the $329 you're considering.

But, after reading the description of the set under consideration, yeah there's some serious duplication, but you are getting some steak knives too...  alotta help, I know... :blush:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• +1 on the knife skills class, if not available close to home buy the CIA book The Professional Chef's Knife Kit and learn how to use a chef's knife. Then learn to use a paring knife, boning knife and slicing/bread knife. Get yourself a big bag of potatoes and make a lot of fries one day and dice a ton for soup another and you'll soon master your new knife.

Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City