Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Eye Marinade

Options
gfavor
gfavor Posts: 74
We cook lots of thick rib eyes and never marinade them. Any one have a good marinade recipe, thought we would try it.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/porterhouse-with-garlic-soy-sauce-marinade

That recipe is excellent on ribeyes. I have served it at eggfests with toasted sesame seeds and green onions.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Made this a few times with good results. Hard to beat a regular ol S&P and seared ribeye though. But this is a tasty change of pace if you’re wanting to try something a little different. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/jerk-rubbed-rib-eye-with-green-papaya-relish-recipe-1948536
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I would consider it a sacrilidge to marinate a ribeye, or any fine cut of steak.  Marinades were made for tough cuts of meat like flank steak. Rib eye, fillets, t-bones, porterhouses, and KC strips should never be marinated!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    I would consider it a sacrilidge to marinate a ribeye, or any fine cut of steak.  Marinades were made for tough cuts of meat like flank steak. Rib eye, fillets, t-bones, porterhouses, and KC strips should never be marinated!
    So, nothing to add then?
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I'm partially with @littlerascal56, that is I don't recommend marinating Ribeyes, but I do occasionally marinate t-bones, strips etc in olive oil / rosemary if I'm going for the Tuscan thing.  I'm all for basting though ala APL. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @gfavor I have a friend that will get t-bones and porterhouse 2 to 2 1/2“ thick and will pour just balsamic on them and pierce them all over with a fork (lots of this, like serial killer stabbing).  Using a jaccard would be easier and less murder-y, but the idea is push balsamic into the meat.  He then seals in a ziploc with more balsamic and lets it marinate in the fridge for several hours.  He grills these hot and fast over an IR burner or screaming hot kamado and slices them up and serves.  They are incredible.  He calls them steak Florentine and brought that back from one of many trips to Italy.  I see something very different online when I google steak Florentine, but whatever it is, I would recommend trying it at least once.
  • gfavor
    gfavor Posts: 74
    Options
    Ok, You guys win !!! No marinade.  Just a little rub, as usual, pan sear to a pretty brown then go indirect to 125-128ish, rest and enjoy. Thanks for you input
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2019
    Options
    If it's thick enough I'd reverse that.... direct low 'n slow, then pan sear. You may not even have to sear if it's picked up enough browning during the cook.  As a die hard sear man in the past, this really surprised/impressed me with the Egg... 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Definitely wouldn't marinate a ribeye . . . but I'm not averse to a little homemade chimichuri on top after it's done.   And for my money, I'll only reverse sear a ribeye, but I don't mess with them unless they're pretty thick. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    gfavor said:
    Ok, You guys win !!! No marinade.  Just a little rub, as usual, pan sear to a pretty brown then go indirect to 125-128ish, rest and enjoy. Thanks for you input
    Dude...don't give in so easily to peer pressure. It's your meat and your mouth, prepare them and cook them however the hell you like.
    What's the difference between using a rub vs. a wet marinade? The intent of both is to add/change/enhance the flavor of the meat. Purists will say all you should use is a bit of salt, but again, it's your money/meat/mouth so do as you please.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ribeye marinade?😳At the most maybe garlic, herbs and a oil or a simple rub.  On nice cuts I prefer to keep it simple and stick to basics. But, I'd agree with @HeavyG there's not much difference in somebody who applies a dry rub in lieu of a wet marinade.  Whatever floats your boat I guess.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited February 2019
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    gfavor said:
    Dude...don't give in so easily to peer pressure. It's your meat and your mouth, prepare them and cook them however the hell you like.
    What's the difference between using a rub vs. a wet marinade? The intent of both is to add/change/enhance the flavor of the meat. Purists will say all you should use is a bit of salt, but again, it's your money/meat/mouth so do as you please.
    Agreed.  Only thing I’ll add is post a pic when you cook it!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Do what tastes good.
    Options
    I'm normally a S&P person.
    On rare occasions, I have taken a couple of ribeyes, put them in a ziplock and added Italian Dressing to it. Refrigerate for a few hours and then grill it however you like. I usually do hot and fast. Expect a LOT of flare ups. The steak ends up very tender and tastes great.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    gfavor said:
    Agreed.  Only thing I’ll add is post a pic when you cook it!!
    Absolutely! Cuz if it is one thing this crazy, mixed up world we live in really needs is to add yet another pix of a steak to the existing billion+ steak pix on the webz.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk