Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig recommendation

I’ve never used Dizzy Pig.  I’ve always used the same rub for my pork butts.  Do any of u guys have a recommendation on what flavor of dizzy pig to use on a butt ? 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

Comments

• What have you been using? Curious 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• What have you been using? Curious 
    I’ve always used Strawberry’s BBQ rub. I’m a man of routine . I love it but ready to try something new . 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    dizzy dust coarse grind. pretty much they all work though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    edited January 2019
    They have a variety for barbecue called Crossroads. They have recommendations on their site according to meat type though so it might be worthwhile looking under "pork".
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited January 2019
    For a butt, as already recommended, Dizzy Dust.  
    They have a regular, corse and salt-free version (and IIRC a just released a spicy version).
    For Salmon: Raging River and for Burgers: Red Eye Express
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I used to make my own rub.  Now, almost always use Dizzy Dust for any basic BBQ, esp butts, but also basic BBQ chicken, pork chops, etc.  it's not spicy.

Swamp venom for chicken wings for me.  
    Raging river on salmon
    cow lick is a good peppery rub, I like on steaks and burgers
    IPA = secret weapon.  nice mild rub, good on its own. but i also use it as a "base layer" if i'm using a sauce or glaze as the final flavor.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Appreciate the suggestions guys 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    For years, a 60/40% mix of Dizzy Dust and Swamp Venom was my  standard. I've been working on my own, but I still make sure I have those on hand.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Dizzy Dust (the original) is probably your best bet to start.  Maybe the course blend.

All my DP is more for grilling than smoking rubs, but they work great for everything.

They have a sample pack you can get.....all 20 different varieties.  We sell it here in the shop and I tell people to go over to the grocery store and buy a big pack of chicken tenderloins.  You can lose track easy, but those multicolor toothpicks are a good way to keep track.  Just break them in half....one half in the chicken and the other half in the little spice bag.  Then you can line them up for a taste test.
    Great tip, ordered the sampler and will execute the plan. TY
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Dizzy Dust would be good for that. Tsunami Spin is fantastic with chicken.
  • fishlessman
    gdenby said:
    For years, a 60/40% mix of Dizzy Dust and Swamp Venom was my  standard. I've been working on my own, but I still make sure I have those on hand.
    those were the two i always had on hand.  wow do they carry alot of rubs now
    fukahwee maine

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    fishlessman said:

those were the two i always had on hand.  wow do they carry alot of rubs now

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    The sample pack is a great suggestion. Definitely peruse their website - they have a bunch of fantastic recipes. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • fishlessman
    i must have been getting free samples as the original 7 were being discovered,  maybe even a guinea pig as the originals were being tweaked =)
    fukahwee maine

• Agree Dizzy Dust for the pork, I also keep a jar of pineapple head for grilling fruit
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Last butt I cooked, I used Dizzy Dust and then a good coat of Raging River. Not bad at all.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    Dizzy Dust (the original) is probably your best bet to start.  Maybe the course blend.

All my DP is more for grilling than smoking rubs, but they work great for everything.

They have a sample pack you can get.....all 20 different varieties.  We sell it here in the shop and I tell people to go over to the grocery store and buy a big pack of chicken tenderloins.  You can lose track easy, but those multicolor toothpicks are a good way to keep track.  Just break them in half....one half in the chicken and the other half in the little spice bag.  Then you can line them up for a taste test.
    I'm with Jonathon on Dizzy Dust as your starter...course grind of course!! I have used other rubs from Meathead and WSM and do switch back and forth, but always go back to Dizzy Pig DD or a mix of DD, Swamp Venom and a pinch of IPA...

Rick
    Rick in Tampa
  • You can't go wrong with Dizzy Dust, but for pulled pork I've not found anything better than Bad Byron's Butt Rub. Get the 26-ounce bottle, you'll use it up.
    Stillwater, MN
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    @Nature Boy Thanks Chris! just ordered some Raging River.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Pineapple Head is good on so many things - corn, veg, ham, etc. Raising the Steaks is my go to for steaks. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    caliking said:
    Pineapple Head is good on so many things - corn, veg, ham, etc. Raising the Steaks is my go to for steaks. 
    Love me some Pineapple Head.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Yup, Pineapple Head on popcorn is the sheeet
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Pineapple Head on grilled pineapple rings are awesome!!

Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Another thumbs up for Dizzy Dust incredible on pork chops and pork roasts too.  Raging River is extremely good also on almost anything, I really like it on chicken.  Grill up some chicken wings with Habanero Death Dust (Oakridge BBQ) Raging River combo the HDD is hot, but has great complex flavors.  Phenomenal

George
    George
  • Cow Lick on burgers!
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Dizzy Dust coarse works great on pork so does crossroads.

Love Tsunami spin mixed with Jamaican Firewalk on chicken, great on wings.

Raising the steaks topped off with Red eye on steak.

Recently I did some shrimp for some tacos with a little bit of Old bay and sprinkled a little Ghost on it. Tasted great.

I have a bunch of their spices and love them all.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

Dizzy Dust coarse

Thank you, finally.
    NOLA
  • Well, Swamp Venom arrived today from Amazon .  Opened the package to find this. And it says product is not eligible for return and doesn’t have a replace option .