Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Pepper Grinder Advice :OT

Options
Jstroke
Jstroke Posts: 2,600
After 20 years it's time to replace my Atlas Pepper Grinder. Their is a bracket on the interior that finally gave out. I have already freshened up the cutters twice with a mill file and I am running out of usable metal. I don't mind buying another one, as I loved this one. I really like the crank mechanism. Soooo what are you using and do you like/love/recommend. Here is what I have been using.

Brass Pepper Mill 8

Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I bought these last fall because they were on sale at the Le Creuset outlet store.  They are OK, but I’d pass if I could do it again.  This is the only product I’ve ever purchased from Le Creuset that I regret.  

I’m looking forward to what everyone has to say - I’ll probably purchase a new pepper mill for the kitchen, and relegate these to the breakfast table.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,191
    Options
    The next one I buy will be powered so I can use it one handed. 
  • Jstroke
    Options
    The next one I buy will be powered so I can use it one handed. 
    My mother has one that takes a battery. It is okay, and handy for exactly that. But is fairly slow in relation to volume. I could ask on the brand for you if you like but not sure I would recommend.
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options
    I've been looking at the Atlas myself, I'd say go for it.  20 years on a pepper grinder seems like a good deal.  I was thinking of getting two if the salt grinders because I have read the internals are beefier then the pepper grinder though,  But at a 20 year life time that now doesn't sound like much of a concern
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    My current mill is a Cole & Mason, based on a Cooks Illustrated "Top Rated" award.  It's super-easy to turn, holds a full spice-bottle's worth of peppercorns, easy to fill, transparent body so you can see how much you have, and you can change the grind by twisting the bottom without removing anything.  
    But, I've only had it a couple years; if you got 20 years out of your Atlas, that's damn good and I'd agree with @MNEggerandStuff , maybe consider another Atlas.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    I got this one back in November:
    It's a close match to one my father bought in the 80's (IIRC). Works the same, just the crank/handle is a little different (his hinged, mine doesn't). That being said, I love this thing. The catch/cup under it makes it a lot better for use. For one thing, you can grind into that and then use as needed. Or remove it and grind directly in/on what you want to add pepper to. I've used it both ways. Pepper capacity is good too.
    I've had several different pepper mills over the years, and this one is [hands down] the best. I did get mom the 9" version, but if I was to do that over again, I'd get her the same one I got (11" version). Seems like the 11" adjusts to fine grinding easier and the mechanism runs smoother at a finer grit level.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • Jstroke
    Options
    1911Man said:
    It's a close match to one my father bought in the 80's (IIRC). Works the same, just the crank/handle is a little different (his hinged, mine doesn't). That being said, I love this thing. The catch/cup under it makes it a lot better for use. For one thing, you can grind into that and then use as needed. Or remove it and grind directly in/on what you want to add pepper to. I've used it both ways. Pepper capacity is good too.
    I've had several different pepper mills over the years, and this one is [hands down] the best. I did get mom the 9" version, but if I was to do that over again, I'd get her the same one I got (11" version). Seems like the 11" adjusts to fine grinding easier and the mechanism runs smoother at a finer grit level.
    1911–that’s a hoot. That is made by the same manufacturer as mine. Pepper mill Imports brings them in from Greece/Turkey. I like the idea of the catch container on the bottom. Enjoy. Should last you a long time.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    One of the other cooks illustrated winners years ago was the Zebra Unicorn.....or vice versa?  I've had it 10+ years.  Filling it is a pain, but besides that it grinds really fast
  • Jstroke
    Options
    One of the other cooks illustrated winners years ago was the Zebra Unicorn.....or vice versa?  I've had it 10+ years.  Filling it is a pain, but besides that it grinds really fast
    You fill it through the side?
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I like the OXO grinders     easy to adjust gring size and reasonably fast
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I have several Peugeot pepper mills (partly for different rooms, partly for different types of pepper), and they've always seemed the best to me for how they grind.  I haven't tried Atlas, so I can't compare.
  • Jstroke
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    I like the OXO grinders     easy to adjust gring size and reasonably fast

Mattman3969 said:
    I’ve got the Cole and Mason and it works fine 

Thanks I will check them out
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I mostly use a pestle and mortar for pepper, I have several pepper types / mixes and don't want to mess about with multiple grinders.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I've had a variety of pepper grinders over the decades. The ones I still use frequently are a Peugeot, an Oxo, and a Skeppshult Cast Iron.
    I originally bought the Oxo just for use outside but liked it so much I bought another one for inside use and it is the one that gets used 90% of the time.

It's plastic but it is sturdy, the grind mechanism adjusts easily for size and it is easy to see when it is getting empty and easy to reload.
    For peppers other than the "normal" ones (which are used in the Oxo and Peugeot) I've used mortar and pestles. A couple of years ago I saw the Skeppshult Cast Iron and Walnut "Swing" Pepper Mill in a magazine and thought it was interesting:
    It works pretty well for a teaspoon or two at a go. A bit spendy for a small cast iron gizmo but I liked adding it to my collection of cast iron stuff.
    When I bought mine it was $20 cheaper:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I have had the Unicorn Magnum Plus Pepper Mill 9" Black for about 10 years and I love it. I even bought the short white one for salt. Works like champ and I've never thought the blades were getting dull. It's plain and simple and nothing special to look at, but it works great. There is not another grinder I would want and I would buy the same one again.

I've had electric ones before and the battery never last long in them. I've had the nice looking clear glass ones and was not impressed. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I have a couple Zazzenhaus I've has for almost 20 years. They work great.

Michiana, South of the border.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I bought these last fall because they were on sale at the Le Creuset outlet store.  They are OK, but I’d pass if I could do it again.  This is the only product I’ve ever purchased from Le Creuset that I regret.  

I’m looking forward to what everyone has to say - I’ll probably purchase a new pepper mill for the kitchen, and relegate these to the breakfast table.

We bought the same one and it’s poor^^^^^

i have a Peugeot at home and a small stainless Trudeau  the Peugeot is not great but the Trudeau is by far the best I have used 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • stlcharcoal
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    You fill it through the side?
    Yeah.  The only way I can do it without spilling peppercorns everywhere is to lay it flat on the counter, then use one hand as a funnel.  Then pour with the other hand.  Then you have to stop, tip it so they all move to one end, and repeat about 4 or 5 times.  Then that door always opens if you're grip extends onto the collar while grinding.....I've spilled whole peppercorns into stuff or on the floor, so you just have to watch tour grip.  Other than that, the grinding action rocks.  It's just a shame they didnt get the refill door right.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    my atlas is about 20 years as well, still going strong. side table next to my chair is a perfex salt and pepper set, the small size. camp its a mcormick plastic disposable with a hole drilled in the side =) refill it and tape the side
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Peugeot.  They're "Iconic" (just ask them)!

Seriously, it's always what we've used and we love them.  

https://us.peugeot-saveurs.com/en_us/our-iconic-mills
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Bought a battery powered (6xAAA), and you had to run it for about 30 seconds to get 1/8 tsp of pepper.  Turns out it had ceramic cutters, which does not work well for pepper. Returned it and bought manual model with steel cutter!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    A good pepper grinder (or few) is a must have in the arsenal. You have your basic black pepper, and then mixed blends. Great thread.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    My Unicorn Magnum broke.  Probably had it 4 yrs now.  I'm following this closely.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    My Unicorn Magnum broke.  Probably had it 4 yrs now.  I'm following this closely.  
    For some reason I'm remembering a lifetime warranty.....might want to check with them.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
    Options
    Had this one forever. Lifetime warranty on the grind mechanism. Maybe got it in the 90s...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Bought a battery powered (6xAAA), and you had to run it for about 30 seconds to get 1/8 tsp of pepper.  Turns out it had ceramic cutters, which does not work well for pepper. Returned it and bought manual model with steel cutter!
    Ceramic is used in mills to prevent salt corrosion. You can use a pepper mill for salt, though you will probably get corrosion in the grinder.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    Options
    Man, I wasn't even aware that I needed a new pepper grinder.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    1911Man said:
    I've been looking for one with a handle instead of a twisting one.  I just ordered this one.  Thanks.
    Flint, Michigan