Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Tomorrow's brisket

njlnjl Posts: 1,123
edited January 2019 in EggHead Forum
This one "required" the most extensive trimming I've done yet on a brisket. 2lb, 1oz mostly of hard fat. That "vein" of it on the bottom in the picture went so deep, I started to worry I was going to end up separating the point from the flat if I wanted to remove all the hard stuff.

It's a 12.7lb prime packer...now only 10.6lbs.

Comments

  • JstrokeJstroke Posts: 2,296
    Can’t wait to see the goods
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 39,268
    You can leave that fat there, helps it cook and you can more easily cut if off when you're carving.
    ______________________________________________
    Just a regular guy that likes to do regular things.
  • njlnjl Posts: 1,123
    I thought as much hard fat as possible was supposed to be trimmed before cooking :(
    Does that only apply to the top/bottom faces and edges?
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 39,268
    Generally you trim the fat on the outside to under 1/4 inch so the sliced meat has some delicious fatty areas.  You're not getting any more bark by digging out that vein of fat, and mostly it takes a lot of work.
    ______________________________________________
    Just a regular guy that likes to do regular things.
  • njlnjl Posts: 1,123
    Here it is after a night in the fridge soaking up some dalmatian rub.


    image It barely fit this large roasting pan. I'm a little concerned as to how it's going to fit the oval grid in the AR, or if I'm going to have to do something to "bend" it in the egg.
  • njlnjl Posts: 1,123
    You northerners will laugh...but I woke up at about 7, saw that it was low 40s out, and really didn't want to get out of bed, much less go fire up the egg and start working on this brisket...but I need to get it cooked today, so the egg is warming up now.
  • Hawg FanHawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    I’ve layed a large brisket over a v shaped roasting rack or a foil covered brick in my large Egg to avoid burning the edges.

    Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

    Terry

    Rockwall, TX
  • njlnjl Posts: 1,123
    It occurred to me as I was placing it, I could use the back of the AR to prop up the point end:


    image
  • njlnjl Posts: 1,123
    Incidentally, I've had some issues/frustration with the Lavatools Carbon thermometer - iPhone app basically crashes after a couple of iterations of wandering too far from the egg and losing the bluetooth connection / reconnecting.  I was annoyed to find that their app appears to only be available for phones (doesn't show up in searches of the App store from an iPad).

    We have 1 Android phone in the house that works, but nobody currently uses, so I downloaded their app from the Play store, and figured that phone can just be parked in the kitchen today so it doesn't get out of BT range.  Another issue I've had with the IOS app is, the Carbon stopwatch seems to lose time.  The Droid app hasn't exhibited that issue...at least not yet.

    I'm just over 3:30 into this cook.

    8:52am start time, 46F IT, 260F dome...first time using CGS AR 
    (oval stone foiled on level 1, oval grid on level 2)

    0:10 270F dome, 245F probe, 47F IT
    0:20 275F dome, 253F probe, 50F IT - closed bottom vent a bit more, closed petals partially
    0:40 280F dome, 252F probe, 62F IT - closed petals a bit more
    0:50 265F dome, 246F probe, 68F IT
    2:05 260F dome, 238F probe, 119F IT
    2:50 265F dome, 244F probe, 133F IT
    3:20 270F dome, 255F probe, 141F IT

    I'll be foiling somewhere around 160-170F to power through the stall.  I'm considering adding apple juice to the foil.  I've never done that with a packer.  I've used juice with ribs...and I see lots of sites recommend it for brisket as well.  Anyone here do this?
  • SaltySamSaltySam Posts: 865
    I’ve never used juice with a Packer, but I’m far from the expert to dole out brisket advice.  Let us know how it goes!

    However @nolaegghead what do you mean when you say the hard fat helps it cook? I would assume that more mass would equate to longer cook time.  Does it cook more evenly?  

    LBGE since June 2012

    Omaha, NE

  • njlnjl Posts: 1,123
    Just when I thought I'd found the bugless version of the Carbon app (Android), I noticed this.  On the graph view page, where the current temp is displayed, it appears to also be displaying Time of day...but it's not local, and not even off by some whole number of hours suggesting it's time of day, but wrong TZ.  What the heck is it doing? Like a clock, every second, the "time" under the temperature is updating, counting up.


    image
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 39,268
    SaltySam said:
    I’ve never used juice with a Packer, but I’m far from the expert to dole out brisket advice.  Let us know how it goes!

    However @nolaegghead what do you mean when you say the hard fat helps it cook? I would assume that more mass would equate to longer cook time.  Does it cook more evenly?  
    First of all, I never said "hard fat helps it cook".  I think you should remove all the hard fat on the outside of the brisket.  I don't think it's worth excavating all the fat in that vein that goes between the deckle and point.  Sure, there's some hard fat in there, but you can trim out fat on the inside - it doesn't have bark so you're not losing flavor by cutting that out after (when it's easy) vs dissecting the subprimal almost into separate muscles.

    You want a monolithic chuck of meat so you don't have meat burning, not a few separate muscles scrunched together.  You don't want pockets. 



    ______________________________________________
    Just a regular guy that likes to do regular things.
  • SaltySamSaltySam Posts: 865
    Ah, makes sense!  Didn’t mean to misquote you. I just misunderstood what you were saying

    LBGE since June 2012

    Omaha, NE

  • JacksDadJacksDad Posts: 538


    Also, as to all that trimmed fat... What do people do with it? 

    I've been putting mine into a cast iron pan, putting it in the oven at like 325 or 350, and letting the fat render down... Then pour off the liquid fat into a bowl and save in the fridge for cooking... 

    Any other uses for the trimmed fat that people  do? 
    Large BGE -- New Jersey

  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 39,268
    JacksDad said:


    Also, as to all that trimmed fat... What do people do with it? 

    I've been putting mine into a cast iron pan, putting it in the oven at like 325 or 350, and letting the fat render down... Then pour off the liquid fat into a bowl and save in the fridge for cooking... 

    Any other uses for the trimmed fat that people  do? 
    I feed the opossums
    ______________________________________________
    Just a regular guy that likes to do regular things.
  • njlnjl Posts: 1,123
    I dunno why, but I've never considered keeping beef fat for cooking.  Bacon on the other hand...I cook bacon in the oven, and always save the bacon fat for cooking.
  • njlnjl Posts: 1,123
    Here it is, 5h into the cook:

    image Look at the shrinkage :) When I put it on this morning, the point was curved up against the back of the AR, and the front corner of the flat was nearly touching the inside edge of the egg.
  • minniemohminniemoh Posts: 2,132
    Great job! That's a nice looking plate.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • njlnjl Posts: 1,123
    The potatoes were a first for me.  We've been boiling them, but I decided since the egg was "on" and I have this new AR that'll easily accommodate a small baking sheet, why not get some smoke flavor on the spuds?  These are baby dutch potatoes halved, tossed with EEVO, and then sprinkled with my "dirty salt mix" (kosher salt, black pepper, paprika).  They baked in the egg for about 35min while the brisket was FTC resting.

    Tonight, I made a big dutch oven of chili with about 2lb of cooked diced brisket.
  • JstrokeJstroke Posts: 2,296
    Well, it looks to me like you slammed dunked it. I can see the moisture from my house. As far as beef fat, I feed the woodpeckers
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 25,061
    I would eat a plate of that all day long.  Great cook and outcome.  Congrats.
    Louisville; "indeterminate Jim" here.  Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!
  • njl said:
    Incidentally, I've had some issues/frustration with the Lavatools Carbon thermometer - iPhone app basically crashes after a couple of iterations of wandering too far from the egg and losing the bluetooth connection / reconnecting.  I was annoyed to find that their app appears to only be available for phones (doesn't show up in searches of the App store from an iPad).

    We have 1 Android phone in the house that works, but nobody currently uses, so I downloaded their app from the Play store, and figured that phone can just be parked in the kitchen today so it doesn't get out of BT range.  Another issue I've had with the IOS app is, the Carbon stopwatch seems to lose time.  The Droid app hasn't exhibited that issue...at least not yet.

    I'm just over 3:30 into this cook.

    8:52am start time, 46F IT, 260F dome...first time using CGS AR 
    (oval stone foiled on level 1, oval grid on level 2)

    0:10 270F dome, 245F probe, 47F IT
    0:20 275F dome, 253F probe, 50F IT - closed bottom vent a bit more, closed petals partially
    0:40 280F dome, 252F probe, 62F IT - closed petals a bit more
    0:50 265F dome, 246F probe, 68F IT
    2:05 260F dome, 238F probe, 119F IT
    2:50 265F dome, 244F probe, 133F IT
    3:20 270F dome, 255F probe, 141F IT

    I'll be foiling somewhere around 160-170F to power through the stall.  I'm considering adding apple juice to the foil.  I've never done that with a packer.  I've used juice with ribs...and I see lots of sites recommend it for brisket as well.  Anyone here do this?
    Eggs retain  moisture REALLY well. It depends on preference but any spritz or added liquid especially at the end isnt going to penetrate the meat. It will just dilute your rub and prevent bark formation late in the cook. I've moved to smoking straight through and haven't seen a difference in moisture content of the meat whatsoever.
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
    Tech:  EggGenius and Thermoworks Smoke w Gateway
    Lump: Rockwood/Fogo
    Wood: Cherry, Apple, PostOak, Pecan
    Meat: Costco, Deep Cuts
    Rubs: Meat Church, HardcoreCarnivore, John Henry's
  • Looks great - What temp did you pull it
  • TEXASBGE2018TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,429
    edited February 2019
    njl said:
    The potatoes were a first for me.  We've been boiling them, but I decided since the egg was "on" and I have this new AR that'll easily accommodate a small baking sheet, why not get some smoke flavor on the spuds?  These are baby dutch potatoes halved, tossed with EEVO, and then sprinkled with my "dirty salt mix" (kosher salt, black pepper, paprika).  They baked in the egg for about 35min while the brisket was FTC resting.

    Next time try cooking them in a small cast iron skillet and add some butter and a couple cloves of fresh garlic as well as your seasoning above. Then once the potatoes are done cooking, leave them in the skillet and take them inside to rest and smash them up a bit with a fork. Thank me later.


    Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

  • njl said:
    Incidentally, I've had some issues/frustration with the Lavatools Carbon thermometer - iPhone app basically crashes after a couple of iterations of wandering too far from the egg and losing the bluetooth connection / reconnecting.  I was annoyed to find that their app appears to only be available for phones (doesn't show up in searches of the App store from an iPad).

    We have 1 Android phone in the house that works, but nobody currently uses, so I downloaded their app from the Play store, and figured that phone can just be parked in the kitchen today so it doesn't get out of BT range.  Another issue I've had with the IOS app is, the Carbon stopwatch seems to lose time.  The Droid app hasn't exhibited that issue...at least not yet.

    I'm just over 3:30 into this cook.

    8:52am start time, 46F IT, 260F dome...first time using CGS AR 
    (oval stone foiled on level 1, oval grid on level 2)

    0:10 270F dome, 245F probe, 47F IT
    0:20 275F dome, 253F probe, 50F IT - closed bottom vent a bit more, closed petals partially
    0:40 280F dome, 252F probe, 62F IT - closed petals a bit more
    0:50 265F dome, 246F probe, 68F IT
    2:05 260F dome, 238F probe, 119F IT
    2:50 265F dome, 244F probe, 133F IT
    3:20 270F dome, 255F probe, 141F IT

    I'll be foiling somewhere around 160-170F to power through the stall.  I'm considering adding apple juice to the foil.  I've never done that with a packer.  I've used juice with ribs...and I see lots of sites recommend it for brisket as well.  Anyone here do this?
    I love my Javelin prod duo but that Carbon Lite thing is a POS. One use and done for me.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • acolleacolle Posts: 124
    JacksDad said:


    Also, as to all that trimmed fat... What do people do with it? 

    I've been putting mine into a cast iron pan, putting it in the oven at like 325 or 350, and letting the fat render down... Then pour off the liquid fat into a bowl and save in the fridge for cooking... 

    Any other uses for the trimmed fat that people  do? 
    Thanks for this. Never thought of it. Made it happen yesterday!
    Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.