Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf on the Mini Max

bubbajack
bubbajack Posts: 1,095
edited January 2019 in Beef
SWMBO and I wanted to do a meatloaf last night so I got out my new lodge CI loaf pan and filled it up.  Had the MM running at 375 with plate setter in. First meatloaf on the MM
Let it roll for about 45 min. and put some probes in to see what was going on. Pulled it at 190 IT.

It came out very nice and juicy....sorry no plated pictures. Served with taters and green beans. Then we decided to try some desert. Made apple dumplings in my new BGE 12" CI. Cooked these at the same temp 375.

About 15 min. after this picture was taken they were all browned up nicely and devoured. Can not make theses too often.

I was surprised how well these new cast iron pans performed. Both of them new, pre-seasoned, and all I did was clean and cook them off before this cook. I bought them for the MM because there is not much room for a pan with an handle. 

Thanks for looking!
I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

Comments

• All looks good to me!  I may have to get a MM to use away from home in Boone! 
    Stuart
    Burlington/Alamance County, NC
  • Looks great, meatloaf on the egg is amazing and your dessert looks tasty!
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    One of my favorite cooks on the egg! Nicely done. 
    190 IT seems a little high to me, I usually go to 160
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited January 2019
    Very nice. Love the CI loaf pan. It looks like you are giving your ML an IV =)
  • For those of  you that make meatloaf directly on the rack (on foil), does it come out dry?  I have always done in pan.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    edited January 2019
    For those of  you that make meatloaf directly on the rack (on foil), does it come out dry?  I have always done in pan.
    I've only made without a pan (I used a veggie grilling tray), but I definitely do not find it dry. I do like the additional crust.

For the OP, great-looking grub. Meatloaf is one my favs on the BGE.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    For those of  you that make meatloaf directly on the rack (on foil), does it come out dry?  I have always done in pan.
    I did a meatloaf cook with two smaller loaves, one in the pan and one on the cast-iron grate, flat-side up (no foil).  
    The panned loaf was moister, the naked loaf had more crust and more smoke flavor.  They were both delicious and I couldn't pick a favorite.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    ^^^ I'm a big help, huh.   ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited January 2019
    I’ve always done it without the pan, cause that’s the way I did it in the oven prior to getting the egg.  I guess it could dry out if your recipe doesn’t have enough fat.  I never have a problem with it being dry.  Here is a recipe from Alton Brown I like a lot.  It is designed to cook without a pan.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-meat-loaf-recipe-1937673
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Looks outstanding. Did it take on a smoke profile? 

When i I cook in cast iron, I usually dial the temp back a little.....let her cook a little longer. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    bubbajack said:
    SWMBO and I wanted to do a meatloaf last night so I got out my new lodge CI loaf pan and filled it up.  Had the MM running at 375 with plate setter in. First meatloaf on the MM
    Let it roll for about 45 min. and put some probes in to see what was going on. Pulled it at 190 IT.

It came out very nice and juicy....sorry no plated pictures. Served with taters and green beans. Then we decided to try some desert. Made apple dumplings in my new BGE 12" CI. Cooked these at the same temp 375.

About 15 min. after this picture was taken they were all browned up nicely and devoured. Can not make theses too often.

I was surprised how well these new cast iron pans performed. Both of them new, pre-seasoned, and all I did was clean and cook them off before this cook. I bought them for the MM because there is not much room for a pan with an handle. 

Thanks for looking!
    Man Spence, That looks like it's worth eating!  

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    Thanks for the input guys....it took a while for the fat to burn off the top of the meat loaf. Once it started to pull away from the CI and had a crust on it I pulled it. It still had that melt in your mouth (giggle) feel to the middle of it. It did take on the smoke for it took me almost 1 1/2 hours to cook. Had a nice smoke ring actually. Put 5 slices of bacon on the bottom of the pan....it was as crispy as the top. It was not perfect, but gives me motivation to try again.

Went to a new butcher shop, they had bone in Rib pork roast.....this was $5.80 total.

Did not trim or cut anything or tie anything up. Cooked about 2 hours at 250. Pulled it and let it rest for a while. No plated pictures but it was great as well. Finished it off at 400. Salt Pepper Garlic and italion seasoning Pulled at 140it....... let it rest. It was really good. Cooked on the Mini Max.

Actually have another one of these to cook......looking forward to it,=.

Thanks!

bubbajack

I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"