Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cook Timeline Organization

I'm kinda forgetful on the weekends, especially if the beer gets to flowing... I created this timeline for my cooks that I use as a loose guide, not as a rigid, must-do schedule. Just something to make sure I don't completely skip a step... Might be cool if it was an app, that could give little alarms at each step... I only really do this for multiple meats. Although I will usually do one for briskets, just so I can get handle on when I need to get started... 
Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 

Comments

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    edited January 2019
    I like this, a lot - and I'd use my Google Home and just start spouting off timers and naming them... "Hey Google, start a timer for 4 hours called Start Spritzing"...

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Photo Egg said:
    I cook on the weekends to relax. Charts and graphs will never be used at my house.lol
    But I could see how they would be useful for competition teams to keep them on track.
    That's the point... If you relax too much, you might forget when to wrap or spritz.. Then end up with a hunk of meat that your not too happy with...

Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited January 2019
    Slippy said:
    Photo Egg said:
    I cook on the weekends to relax. Charts and graphs will never be used at my house.lol
    But I could see how they would be useful for competition teams to keep them on track.
    That's the point... If you relax too much, you might forget when to wrap or spritz.. Then end up with a hunk of meat that your not too happy with...

What if you forget to look at your chart or your alarm does not go off on your App or you don't carry your phone 24/7?
    I'm happy you like the using charts and graphs. And you should use what ever it takes for YOU to get the quality of food you expect. 
    If I'm doing something so great that I forget about my ribs I must be having a good day and Dominos delivers in 30 min or less.
    I'm not picking on you. This is just my opinion on weekend BBQ. It's not a competition, by the clock thing for me. It's by look, feel and temp but not critical at any one point. I just adjust and learn as I go.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    wow thats some organization, but where is the shaded area for drinking?
    O-Town, FL

• Slippy
    ewyllins said:
    The white, blue, green and yellow areas are for drinking. 
  • ewyllins
    Slippy said:
    ewyllins said:
    The white, blue, green and yellow areas are for drinking. 
    I gotcha, that seems about right
    O-Town, FL

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i like that. i built a spread sheet i use often that has a wide variety of meats and cook times in.  i input number of people, serving time and type of meats and it gives me start time suggestions and things.  i think this output might be something i want to add.  thanks for sharing.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    edited January 2019
    forgetful on the weekends is when you cook, eat, fall asleep, and see the evidence in the morning. crack a beer and try to explain that to yourself that it actually happened ;)  i write start times on the fridge door, set the stove timer for check times
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    What about gravitational time dilation?
    Oh yeah, taken into account, but depends on moon phase.
  • ewyllins
    what bout the Leap Second?
    O-Town, FL

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Well, I don’t glaze or spritz, so I would probably just toss google or Alexa into the pool if I started getting nagged.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    @Slippy What did you use to create the timeline graphic. Love this kind of stuff!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    In general, I do not keep that close of track when to do certain things when cooking UNLESS It is a more formal dinner or there is a tight timeline. Example is this weekend. Moments before I opened this thread I did a timeline starting at 7:00 am for a 5:00 eating time as there will be a few courses and 2 eggs will be at different temps for different lengths of times. 
    Organization has its place sometimes. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Slippy
    Sea2Ski said:
    In general, I do not keep that close of track when to do certain things when cooking UNLESS It is a more formal dinner or there is a tight timeline. Example is this weekend. Moments before I opened this thread I did a timeline starting at 7:00 am for a 5:00 eating time as there will be a few courses and 2 eggs will be at different temps for different lengths of times. 
    Organization has its place sometimes. 
    I developed this one day when I was cooking for an important client... My reputation was at stake, so I had to deliver the goods... Now that I have the template, it's easy for me to tweak it as needed. Finishing two meats at the same time does not come naturally for me.... I have to really plan it out...
  • Slippy
    smbishop said:
    @Slippy What did you use to create the timeline graphic. Love this kind of stuff!
    I used Adobe Illustrator.  
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Is this able to be overcome with the use of a flux capacitor 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Slippy
    Photo Egg said:
    Slippy said:
    Photo Egg said:

What if you forget to look at your chart or your alarm does not go off on your App or you don't carry your phone 24/7?
    I'm happy you like the using charts and graphs. And you should use what ever it takes for YOU to get the quality of food you expect. 
    If I'm doing something so great that I forget about my ribs I must be having a good day and Dominos delivers in 30 min or less.
    I'm not picking on you. This is just my opinion on weekend BBQ. It's not a competition, by the clock thing for me. It's by look, feel and temp but not critical at any one point. I just adjust and learn as I go.
    Cyberbully!!!
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    It's done when it's done and we eat when I say we eat!!!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I wonder what kind of charting software BBQ PITBOYS use...

Just busting baIIs - do what works for you.

Phoenix 
  • Photo Egg
    Slippy said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Slippy said:
    Photo Egg said:

Cyberbully!!!
    Sorry you feel that way. You ask for opinions on a forum, you might not like all the responses. Not Cyberbully at all.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Slippy
    edited January 2019
    Photo Egg said:
    Slippy said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Slippy said:
    Photo Egg said:

Cyberbully!!!
    Sorry you feel that way. You ask for opinions on a forum, you might not like all the responses. Not Cyberbully at all.
    (was being sarcastic).... sorry...  

• The Reynolds wrap time wrinkle continuum works for me , unless the barley demons invade my cranium .
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Photo Egg
    Slippy said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Slippy said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Slippy said:
    Photo Egg said:

Cyberbully!!!
    (was being sarcastic).... sorry...  

I can respect that.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    Here’s a sample of a competition team timeline. For this competition it involved about 2 hours the previous night. And started that day at 2 AM and lasted until brisket turnin time at 4 PM. 

I sometimes use the notes section of my phone to list some key times to keep me on track.  But I don’t take it to the level of the competition team because that makes it more like work - and a lot less fun. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Slippy
    Foghorn said:
    Here’s a sample of a competition team timeline. For this competition it involved about 2 hours the previous night. And started that day at 2 AM and lasted until brisket turnin time at 4 PM. 

I sometimes use the notes section of my phone to list some key times to keep me on track.  But I don’t take it to the level of the competition team because that makes it more like work - and a lot less fun. 
    Now that’s detailed.