Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table shims to center and secure egg in center of hole.

I am surprised I have never seen anyone design a set of wedged shims that drop down between the table and the inside of the table top hole that surrounds the egg. It seems four wedge designed shims with fire felt lining would drop down in the open area and center and secure the egg in the table. Has anyone ever tried this?

Comments

• The egg needs to expand and contract freely.  And a shim or block would bind it, and you could even end up with “hot spots” where those are.  It really needs that air gap.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    If you restrict expansion, you could wind up with this...
    Besides, a several hundred pound egg isn't going anywhere. And be sure to leave enough gap between the egg and the table so the table doesn't burn.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Not sure what the advantage or preference for something like that would be over a simple table nest.
    Stillwater, MN
  • I have my egg sitting on a table nest which rests on a metal deck. Im new to the egg. When I open the lid, I dont like the way it starts to get off balance. Its not even close to tipping backwards but I was just thinking it would be nice to stabilize it just a bit. Im convinced no stabilizers, no restrictions for expansion, and space around the egg for circulation.
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Made these when I built my table. Any time I Have to move the table, it's on large casters, these go in to keep the egg stable
  • Never thought of shimming the egg into the table.  Mine sits inside the table (hole cut thru 5/4 decking boards and sits on two fire bricks that support the egg.  Works great.  I'd be careful locking it into the table because of heat expansion...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Outlaw56 said:
    I have my egg sitting on a table nest which rests on a metal deck. Im new to the egg. When I open the lid, I dont like the way it starts to get off balance. Its not even close to tipping backwards but I was just thinking it would be nice to stabilize it just a bit. Im convinced no stabilizers, no restrictions for expansion, and space around the egg for circulation.
    Sounds like your egg might not be level. I'd check it with a carpenter's level if I were you. If you don't have one then if nothing else put your plate setter in and then place a marble, ball bearing or even a golf ball in the center and see if it rolls. The faster it rolls the worst your problem. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Its stable on the egg nest and that sits on a level and very stable all steel table. I just dont like the way it feels when that big dome gets tipped back on the base. On another note, I know when you install the bands on the base and dome, you crank them bolts down until they bend. Thats tight. Wondering why the ceramic does not crack from those tight metal bands restricting the heat expansion?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Outlaw56 said:
    Its stable on the egg nest and that sits on a level and very stable all steel table. I just dont like the way it feels when that big dome gets tipped back on the base. On another note, I know when you install the bands on the base and dome, you crank them bolts down until they bend. Thats tight. Wondering why the ceramic does not crack from those tight metal bands restricting the heat expansion?
    Because the metal bands are also expanding when they get hot.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The shell of an egg is strong when squeezed evenly.

That said, what could possibly go wrong?  I'd hammer in some wedges for sure.
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    edited January 2019
    Outlaw56 said:
    TS Spud, is that the top in this photo stainess steel? Is so, what is the guage and how expensive was it to build or have fabricated?
    I put these on a table for a guy in FL who wanted to take his egg and table to Daytona 500. I put Some of the felt gasket material on the edge that touched the egg. 16 gauge 304 and cost was very little since it can be done out of scrap
  • Thats an awesome awesome build.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Outlaw56 said:
    Thats an awesome awesome build.
    Same table in action at Daytona, he took it there in his trailer and rolled it out
  • Cjtamu
    Cjtamu Posts: 22
    Outlaw56 said:
    Its stable on the egg nest and that sits on a level and very stable all steel table. I just dont like the way it feels when that big dome gets tipped back on the base. On another note, I know when you install the bands on the base and dome, you crank them bolts down until they bend. Thats tight. Wondering why the ceramic does not crack from those tight metal bands restricting the heat expansion?
    Be sure the egg is in the nest properly. When I first installed mine it moved a little when I opened the dome. Re-centered slightly in the table nest and it went away.