Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This is my typical cook, would a Adjustable Rig be best

Hey folks, this is my typical cook. A protein and two sides, just like the lunch counters:

Now we have 2 kids and they don't like BBQ (wait till I die and bequeath my $600.00 estate to the dog) anyway it's cooking for me and the wife, even if I cook steaks it's the same, meat and two sides. Now if I'm firing up the Egg, everything goes in, the stove is closed for the night.

My question is, would an Adjustable Rig be a good investment? I know I'll get jealous haters with my current set up of 2 $0.59 bricks and a $9.99 grate.  Tonight I had a Lodge 4" tall Dutch Oven but many times I have a lodge 12" pan cooking potatoes or some type of greens so I could be flexible.

Your input is requested, thanks in advance.

Btw. plated:

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    My opinion if what you have is working you don’t need to change it.   

I had a very similar set up and went with the Woo and the Woo Extender.  It’s a cleaner version of what you’ve built but the top grid will slide back for better access to main grid.
    Glad I spent the money  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Looks like you’re doing it right. Unless you’ve got money burning a hole in your pocket, why bother. You can always wet saw a couple of bricks different thicknesses to make it “adjustable” 
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Would you mind giving more details on how you cooked that delicious looking meal?  Temps, direct or indirect, when to add the sides after the meats been going, etc.
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I'm with @Mattman3969 here.  If it works then the only reason (which I succumbed to after several years) if ease of handling the internals.  Cook temp is the same, likely elevation inside the BGE is the same...now access may be a different story.
    Your $$ your call but it won't change the cook outcome.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KennyCJR said:
    Would you mind giving more details on how you cooked that delicious looking meal?  Temps, direct or indirect, when to add the sides after the meats been going, etc.
    That was a typical 375 degree cook, St. Louis for three and a half hours. I took two big cans of bush beans and added 4 ounces of black strap molasses plus 1/4 cup of brown sugar and 4 strips of bacon (not cooked). I also cooked 2 potatoes, rubbed in olive oil and some salt wrapped in aluminum foil. I think of it as an old school cook. Again, a protein and two sides. 

thanks
    greg 
  • lousubcap said:
    I'm with @Mattman3969 here.  If it works then the only reason (which I succumbed to after several years) if ease of handling the internals.  Cook temp is the same, likely elevation inside the BGE is the same...now access may be a different story.
    @Mattman3969 your right, I know it's the same outcome but I have this notion in my head that if I'm firing up the Egg  make the most use of space. For example, in my head, if I had the AR I could of cooked what you see here plus 2 extra racks to freeze and heat up later. Make sense?
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    When is it time for another egg ;)
  • Well, I have an XL and a mini. Were renovating the exterior of the house this summer including  the patio.... I came here a week or so ago for advice for a small cheap vacuum sealer and here is what I have now..

You guys are killing me!  just kidding, I'm planning on buying another XL and the maybe a a medium or large for sides....  
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    KennyCJR said:
    That was a typical 375 degree cook, St. Louis for three and a half hours. I took two big cans of bush beans and added 4 ounces of black strap molasses plus 1/4 cup of brown sugar and 4 strips of bacon (not cooked). I also cooked 2 potatoes, rubbed in olive oil and some salt wrapped in aluminum foil. I think of it as an old school cook. Again, a protein and two sides. 

thanks
    greg 
    What I’m asking is your timeline...ribs first, then what time during the whole cook did you add each side?  Did they all finish at the same time?  
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    lousubcap said:
    @Mattman3969 your right, I know it's the same outcome but I have this notion in my head that if I'm firing up the Egg  make the most use of space. For example, in my head, if I had the AR I could of cooked what you see here plus 2 extra racks to freeze and heat up later. Make sense?
    Yes and no.  To me the fun part is the cook.  I fire an egg about every night.  I cook what I need no matter which egg or set up I’m using. If I made extra ribs they would go to waste.  My freezer is like the tomb of doom.  It goes in but rarely comes out unless it’s a Jolly Rancher Popsicle 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    If the bricks are taking up valuable space you can get 4 carriage bolts (I got stainless) and add them to the top ring as legs. 2 nuts on each leg makes it adjustable if you want. I use this on my XL

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I'm planning on buying another XL and the maybe a medium or large for sides....  
    And you're still using bricks? I think you answered your own question!  ;)

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    AR is a good investment. I use it in > 50% of my cooks. Two adults, one kid here. I cook for larger groups upto maybe five adults once or twice a month at most.

The reason I say to invest is that the AR helps you with flexibility. I think you can and have gotten it done without but it's a matter of simplicity and design that I think will be worth it for you.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I use a cast iron grid and the issue grid along with three brick halves. I beat you on the brick costs, mine were leftovers from a construction project that I was supervising about the time I got my medium and therefore were free to me at least. I did pay cash for the cast iron grate though.
  • Fredb
    Fredb Posts: 89
    The adjustable rig is nice but sometimes simple is nice. You look like you have a handle on it just fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • KennyCJR said:
    KennyCJR said:

thanks
    greg 
    What I’m asking is your timeline...ribs first, then what time during the whole cook did you add each side?  Did they all finish at the same time?  
    Sorry @KennyCJR I misunderstood. So i threw the ribs on first then after an hour and a half I put the beans and potatoes on all to finish at the same time. This type of timing would be typical of my cooking style unless I'm FTC for a brisket or pulled pork...
    Thanks
    Greg 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    So what did you end up going with?  I'm now contemplating getting one.  I like the oval stone idea helping protect brisket cooks and being able to pile more ribs inside the large.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    I still have to 3 firebricks and webber grate. I'l am going to get the adjustable rig set up, just haven't got around to it yet..
  • Well, I have an XL and a mini. Were renovating the exterior of the house this summer including  the patio.... I came here a week or so ago for advice for a small cheap vacuum sealer and here is what I have now..

You guys are killing me!  just kidding, I'm planning on buying another XL and the maybe a a medium or large for sides....  
    This is so perfect.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BGEChicago
    Best investment so far... Use it daily 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I still have to 3 firebricks and webber grate. I'l am going to get the adjustable rig set up, just haven't got around to it yet..
    Well they are currently sold out so no rush.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• BGEChicago
    Well, I guess I'l just have to buy another XL....  =)