Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is The local butcher dead?

Options

Comments

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I don't know your local butcher so I don't know if he is dead or alive.

I have yet to find a good local butcher in my area.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Sadly my local butcher just closed up his shop. After 30+ years they just couldn't continue to make a go of it.  No other small shop is nearby so I am now forced to use the megamarts.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    In stl, I get my steaks from the butcher block in oakville, which is my local butcher. Prime rib eye, which is pretty expensive, but holy isht, it's always incredible as is their other stuff.

There is a little meat processing store in Piedmont mo (basically the middle of nowhere missouri), which is near our lake house, that has really great stuff too and super cheap for what you get, which is locally sourced. Like $6 beef filets which you're not getting anywhere else for that price. The chicken breasts are massive, incredibly cheap for what you get (they tell me they're free range at local farm) and just soooooo much better tasting than what you get at the grocery store in the big city. Like night and day. At the end of the summer, we load up and freeze a ton of stuff from there which gets us a couple months worth of meat.

The butcher block, Costco and normal grocery store fills in the gaps.

So, to answer the question in op,, no I dont think they're dead at all. 
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    If costco didn't blade tenderize all of their steaks, I'd probably by more there.  I just get my briskets, pork butts, and other bigger cuts they're not stabbing.
    They blade tenderize the choice grade fillet and strips? I never noticed and that's usually what I go with..
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    paqman said:
    Kinda agree with you on beef.  Other meats are typically better at my local butcher.  I dont know where he gets his chicken and what he does with it but damn it is good.  I mean, Costco rotisserie chicken is hard to beat for the price but it is good because of the brine/seasoning;local butcher chicken is natural/unseseasoned but so much tastier and tender.
    @paqman This is exactly the case with mu butcher, poultry is out of this world as is the sausages and most pork. He has been in business since 1984, by now you would think he could pick a decent steak.... That being said here is his cooking technique for cooking ribs... I shutter to even post this:

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    What cookie sheet holds 1" of water?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    If costco didn't blade tenderize all of their steaks, I'd probably by more there.  I just get my briskets, pork butts, and other bigger cuts they're not stabbing.
    They blade tenderize the choice grade fillet and strips? I never noticed and that's usually what I go with..
    And even their prime steaks!!!  

Unless it's changed, the rule was...….if it's not in cryovac, it's probably been blade tenderized.  It should say it on the packaging.

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    cheeaa said:
    In stl, I get my steaks from the butcher block in oakville, which is my local butcher. Prime rib eye, which is pretty expensive, but holy isht, it's always incredible as is their other stuff. 
    Is that the one on telegraph?  I used to get a lot of my stuff at Mateker's, but they closed over the summer.

You been to Bolyard's in Maplewood?  Those are probably the best ribeyes I've ever done.  Starr's in Richmond Heights has really good NY strips for a great price (I get my lamb racks there too.)
  • BGEChicago
    Options

Unless it's changed, the rule was...….if it's not in cryovac, it's probably been blade tenderized.  It should say it on the packaging.

Disappointing, it's like trying a new barber advertising old fashion straight razor shaves then he pulls this out:
    Razor  10 pcs Blades Shaver Salon Folding Straight Shaving Barber Haircut j

And then after the shave proceeds to rub Old Spice  aftershave..... Standards, where the hell have they went...
  • Dollinger
    Options
    We are lucky enough to have a local shop that sells to the top fine dining restaurants. They are open to the public 3 days a week and any product (meat, poultry, fish)  he has is well above anything available in the retail market.

There is also a butcher that specializes in eastern European and German meats. We had to wait an hour and a half to get in the door Christmas week!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I would say try looking around more. Not sure how close to the city you are but I've seen some nice stuff at the farmers market in Lincoln Park. My local butcher has quality stuff at a fair price here in Peoria .
    I'm assuming you mean Alwans in Peoria - right? Were you ever living in Morton any time when Roche's Meating Haus was alive and well? They were good and had a solid reputation for decades! After trying to re-invent themselves and going to wholesale only and ownership changes I assume their retail store must be closed now as well, huh? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Botch said:
    An inch and a quarter if you have steady hands....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    Dollinger said:
    We are lucky enough to have a local shop that sells to the top fine dining restaurants. They are open to the public 3 days a week and any product (meat, poultry, fish)  he has is well above anything available in the retail market.

There is also a butcher that specializes in eastern European and German meats. We had to wait an hour and a half to get in the door Christmas week!
    yeah, I got a local guy.... I think I'd rather eat glass then pay these prices:
    https://www.allenbrothers.com/allen-brothers-dry-aged-sirloin-strip-steaks-boneless.html

I mean, if I was in Hawaii I would understand. I'm 12 miles from the old Chicago Stockyards I see guys on here showing beautiful steaks and i look at the prices and roll my eyes..... There local grocery store meat looks better then most butchers and a lot cheaper..... eh, at least we got 6" of snow last night and I'm egging in a balmy 19 degree weather with 35 mph winds... So take that you warm weather Eggers :) 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Botch said:
    An inch and a quarter if you have steady hands....
    Well, I'm out <hic>  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options

There’s a Mühle R41 joke in here somewhere... 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    RRP said:
    I would say try looking around more. Not sure how close to the city you are but I've seen some nice stuff at the farmers market in Lincoln Park. My local butcher has quality stuff at a fair price here in Peoria .
    I'm assuming you mean Alwans in Peoria - right? Were you ever living in Morton any time when Roche's Meating Haus was alive and well? They were good and had a solid reputation for decades! After trying to re-invent themselves and going to wholesale only and ownership changes I assume their retail store must be closed now as well, huh? 
    Somehow the retail store is still open. I've tried it a couple of times and it was over priced and not good.  And yes I was referring to Alwans. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Saw my butcher the other day. He was well, had good meats and was happy to see me!
    @northGAcock you sure he recognized it was you?  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    It it sounds like it is in your area, like everything the smaller guys need to outdo the megamarts on service and quality, since they’ll never be able to buy on the scale to let them compete on price.

We’re lucky here, I’ve got 2 good ones within about 25 minutes, and another good one within about 40.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    cheeaa said:
    Is that the one on telegraph?  I used to get a lot of my stuff at Mateker's, but they closed over the summer.

You been to Bolyard's in Maplewood?  Those are probably the best ribeyes I've ever done.  Starr's in Richmond Heights has really good NY strips for a great price (I get my lamb racks there too.)
    Yeah it's on telegraph. I didnt know matekers closed, but I dont get over there much. I havent tried the others but thanks for the tips!
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    edited January 2019
    Options
    dharley said:
    Teefus said:
    We have a local guy that I like to patronize. He's a BGE dealer too and carries Rockwood so I'm in there periodically. He's not competitive on many items, but is really strong on smoked and cured product. They grind their own sausage and have many varieties for sale. The place is usually packed.

The above said, my bride and I buy 95% of our meat at Costco. The NY Strips can't be beat, and the whole pork loin and salmon is great too. Everything is about 1/2 the price of our local grocery chain.
    Where is this?
    DC Meats on Lincolnway In Osceola. http://www.dcmeats.net/
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

It’s not a big deal as long as they are clean and they are. Been eating them for years and never heard of anyone getting sick.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Lit said:

It’s not a big deal as long as they are clean and they are. Been eating them for years and never heard of anyone getting sick.
    But if it's a good steak (especially if it's prime), then you don't need to poke a bunch of holes in it.  They're creating a ton of places for the fat and juices to run out of while you're searing it.  I've always found the steaks I get there kind of dry and mushy.  I attribute this to the blade tenderization, but maybe I'm wrong.  I've been meaning to buy a whole cyrovac'd (unpoked) one and slice it up, then grill it side-by-side with the ones sliced and poked in store.  Either way, the ones I get from the local butcher shops are always a lot better than the Costco ones, and that's the only reason I can come up with because it's not like I'm cooking the any different.

I'm more concerned with that than I am the risk of contamination.  While that is a concern, they're sanitation process at the end of the day is pretty impressive.....looks like a car wash in there.  Ground beef should be more of a concern than blade tenderizers.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I tend to use my local butcher for cuts I can't get elsewhere, like whole pork belly.  There is also a not so local meat & sausage place out in the sticks that people drive miles to get their sausage.  The Lockeford Meat & Sausage Co.
    They make some pretty awesome sausage, but be prepared to wait in a long line on the weekends to get inside the store.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    RRP said:
    Somehow the retail store is still open. I've tried it a couple of times and it was over priced and not good.  And yes I was referring to Alwans. 
    Ever try Pottstown Deli in Metro Center? It can be a real mad house on Saturdays quite the same as Alwans is.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I mostly use the local butchers for meaty beef ribs.  Everything else is at least as good and cheaper at the HEB or Costco.  However, I should point out that my HEB has a meat department with butchers actively cutting meat most of the time and they will cut their Prime 1 beef to order.  So, while it is a relatively big chain, it is Texas owned and they do a great job of making a giant store feel like a bunch of little shops under one roof.   The butchers do a great job, so do the people in the deli/cheese department.  And the beer/wine manager knows me pretty well and knows what to recommend when he gets in new stuff.  

What that is the experience at your chain grocery store, it's hard to justify paying more at a butcher.

With that said, for anyone in or around San Antonio, Tri-County Meat Market is excellent and Bolner's Meat Company is - in my son's words - the North Pole for BBQ.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Ever try Pottstown Deli in Metro Center? It can be a real mad house on Saturdays quite the same as Alwans is.
    I have. They have some really good horseradish there.  Alwans is quicker for me to get to and I feel like their overall prices and products are better. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I mostly use the local butchers for meaty beef ribs.  Everything else is at least as good and cheaper at the HEB or Costco.  However, I should point out that my HEB has a meat department with butchers actively cutting meat most of the time and they will cut their Prime 1 beef to order.  So, while it is a relatively big chain, it is Texas owned and they do a great job of making a giant store feel like a bunch of little shops under one roof.   The butchers do a great job, so do the people in the deli/cheese department.  And the beer/wine manager knows me pretty well and knows what to recommend when he gets in new stuff.  

What that is the experience at your chain grocery store, it's hard to justify paying more at a butcher.

With that said, for anyone in or around San Antonio, Tri-County Meat Market is excellent and Bolner's Meat Company is - in my son's words - the North Pole for BBQ.
    I wish we had a nicer chain like HEB or Wegmans. Publix is the best around here by a mile and everything other than the service is just okay. 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I'm spoiled here in Cincy.  Still seems like every neighborhood has a butcher shop.  And we have some gems too.  Some are still in operation from the late 1800's and early 1900's.  I have a Costco membership and will buy some meat there.  However, there is something different about walking into Avril Bleh meat market or Humbert's that is special.  Not to forget these places are deli's as well and it's a wonderful experience.  They'll always have something different, you'll see your neighbors there, and it's regularly very high quality meat.  I couldn't imagine living anywhere without some really nice high end butchers.
    I couldn't agree more. Avril-Bleh has been there since 1894 and I just love going in there. Usually pretty busy, and for very good reason. Their double smoked bacon is the best store-bought bacon I've ever found anywhere.

If you ever drive through Cincinnati, it's worth a very short detour, especially at lunchtime!
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    I like Lindy's in Washington.  Bob, the owners brother is the butcher.  Great meat, especially their pork (if they are still carrying berkshire).
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    I am amazed (unless I missed it) not one reply with "I am a butcher and this is my advice".  Who knows a butcher with a BGE? Get them to sign up!