Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

if I get one more cracked base... I'm done!

Options
Currently sending pics to my dealer to start the third LBGE cracked base replacement (in 18 months). I don't do anything fancy, though I do run it hot quite often to sear, which is what happened tonight. Mid cook I hear a loud 'pop', grab my flashlight to investigate and find yet another hairline crack running alone the base.

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    That sounds like an improbable string of bad luck. 

I’ve got two Larges and in 4 years I’ve never had one crack. And I’ll run mine wide open quite often. 

Do you have it in a nest or a table?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• derka123
    derka123 Posts: 102
    Options
    I have mine on an OEM nest
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Just curious.... do you use an after market fire grate?
  • derka123
    Options
    I do, kickash. This next round I'll do kick ash in combination with the oem grate and see if that helps.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I’ve had my LBGE for almost 8 years with no issues but just switched to a KAB a few months ago.  I may just put the grate back on now and see how it works with the KAB.  
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I was also sick of this and just recently sold my last egg and got the Weber summit charcoal. Loving it so far and no more cracked ceramics. I had 4 bases crack over the last 10 years. My last egg was an xl and it was a pain to clean out the 4Runner so I could fit it in the back and then take the old egg apart so I could get the base out of the nest then swap them and put it back together. None of the 4 eggs that cracked had the KAB all had the OEM grate.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I quit doing high temp with the egg and haven't cracked a base since. Nothing over 550 for me, its not worth the hassle of warranty and labor involved.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• derka123
    Options
    Yeah I was looking at the weber summit tonight, also the 'caliber pro' stainless kamado. Viking had one but it appears discontinued. Steel construction seems like a better idea.

I may get a new base installed, then part with my egg and accessories, I dunno.

Or I move it out by the fire pit and keep it around just for low and slows.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Dang - that’s bad luck.  I wonder if anything has changed with the construction/manufacturing over time?  I have a well used large that is 14 years old and a small that’s about 10 years old.  I’ve had one cracked fire box and no other problems in all that time.  
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Dang - that’s bad luck.  I wonder if anything has changed with the construction/manufacturing over time?  I have a well used large that is 14 years old and a small that’s about 10 years old.  I’ve had one cracked fire box in all that time.  
    High temp much?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    I’ve had my LBGE for almost 8 years with no issues but just switched to a KAB a few months ago.  I may just put the grate back on now and see how it works with the KAB.  
    Works fine sitting on the grate 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    derka123 said:
    Yeah I was looking at the weber summit tonight, also the 'caliber pro' stainless kamado. Viking had one but it appears discontinued. Steel construction seems like a better idea.

The Viking was a model C4.  It looked really cool.  I haven’t seen one in person.  I’ve seen a couple on Craig’s list over the years and have been tempted, but never pulled the trigger.  
    Memphis, TN 

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    Well that's a bummer
    O-Town, FL

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I have had my medium for over ten years with no cracks. Admittedly I seldom run it muck over 400. I have been using a KAB without the original grate for a year now. With all the reported cracks I do wonder about a change in materials or methods of manufacturing.
  • Lit
    Options
    derka123 said:

The summit is nice. When they came out I thought Weber was crazy with the price but it has some nice features. Just squeeze the handle on the ash tray and it drops down to empty. Ash moving from the base works just like the kettle but for added temp control they have the traditional Weber slots for bottom airflow but they put a several inch notch on one end of the slots so you can do partial airflow from the bottom. The push button start is amazing put your lump in and twist the knob and in 5-10 minutes your at 300. I got the grill station that was a demo for $1599 if you watch eBay there is a seller that gets the standalone for $1099 and the station for $1499 I saw both a couple times when I wasn’t ready to pull the trigger. I liked my eggs but doubt I’ll ever have another ceramic grill. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    derka123 said:
    Currently sending pics to my dealer to start the third LBGE cracked base replacement (in 18 months). I don't do anything fancy, though I do run it hot quite often to sear, which is what happened tonight. Mid cook I hear a loud 'pop', grab my flashlight to investigate and find yet another hairline crack running alone the base.
    I can't say that I blame you! 

My my oldest eggs are my 19 year old Large and Small. My Medium is just 18 years and my baby Mini is 14 years. Perhaps I have had extremely good luck for all these years which includes KAB useage in L and S. Knocking on wood - I have never had neither a base nor a dome EVER crack! OTOH I've replaced my Large fire box once and my Small fire box once. BTW my "hot to trot" Small can look any thermometer in the eye and say "hmnnn 750 degrees is all you can get to?" 

I still believe somewhere along the line there has been some casting material or thickness direction made from BGE corporate to their plant down in Mexico. I believe that kind of change is called self insuring - you know - increase the claims but take the chances.

Just sometime - older is better!  =)=)=)

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Options

Just sometime - older is better!  =)=)=)

That’s not what she said
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I recommend leaving some ash in the egg at all times. About a half inch thick minimum. It acts as an insulator. 

Definitely try using the grate in addition to the KAB. The KAB drops a lot of small burning coals and the thermal shock could crack the bottom of a damp egg. 
  • Lit
    Options
    Drill some holes in the bottom of the cracked base and it makes a good planter. My last XL is our herb garden and the last mini is a flower pot.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    If I ever get a cracked base, I may drop one of these on top of it (if I find one that fits) 

Memphis, TN 

• derka123
    Options
    Put some thought into it and made a decision. 9/10 cooks I do are grilling. I'm going back to a weber (just ordered a weber deluxe) as my primary cooker, at least I know I won't break anything when I crank the temps. I'm going to get a replacement base and set the LBGE aside for low and slow only. I'm too invested in my LBGE to part with it for 50% of what I paid, at least I'll use it every month or so this way.

I'll still run my minimax during the week, I've been running it for 18 months now without issue including high temps with no trouble, we'll see if that continues. Wish me luck!
  • Lit
    Options
    derka123 said:
    Put some thought into it and made a decision. 9/10 cooks I do are grilling. I'm going back to a weber (just ordered a weber deluxe) as my primary cooker, at least I know I won't break anything when I crank the temps. I'm going to get a replacement base and set the LBGE aside for low and slow only. I'm too invested in my LBGE to part with it for 50% of what I paid, at least I'll use it every month or so this way.

I'll still run my minimax during the week, I've been running it for 18 months now without issue including high temps with no trouble, we'll see if that continues. Wish me luck!
    I tried that I got a Weber big joe for out back quick cooks and it works great. The issue is every time I went to use my xl it was full of mold and I had to burn it off.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I have an XL and have gone thru 4 bases. I wasn't using a KAB, and didn't run high temps often on any of them (other than the very occasional pizza at 550-600). I have no trouble with getting them replaced, but it is a pain.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• OshawaDave
    Options
    derka123 said:
    I do, kickash. This next round I'll do kick ash in combination with the oem grate and see if that helps.

Are you saying that you removed your grate and the KAB is sitting directly on the bottom of the Egg?

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 272
    Options
    The Viking C4 internals are ceramic made by Primo. Have had zero problems with mine nor any of my BGE bases. My oldest LBGE is almost 20 yrs old and still has the ceramic fire grate.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    derka123 said:
    Sorry about your luck. I have a kab but use the OEM grate under it. 

Cook 700 all the time, summer or freezing cold 7 years in and knock on wood trouble free 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    after 3 bases here i just stopped looking for cracks =) my large popped during a 325 degree turkey cook so im not so sure its the high temps that crack a base and ive done extreme high temp cooks over 1200f and no cracking of the base
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    after 3 bases here i just stopped looking for cracks =) my large popped during a 325 degree turkey cook so im not so sure its the high temps that crack a base and ive done extreme high temp cooks over 1200f and no cracking of the base
    Good point, to be fair I don’t look under regularly. Assuming if theirs no smoke or drippings underneath it’s all good 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    This is all very interesting.  I have 2 larges that had been without cracked bases for over 18 years.  I also have a minimax that is about 4 or 5 years old.  This past summer/fall all 3 bases cracked and had to be replaced.

I use KAB and generally do either low and slow or <450 degree cooks...

Perhaps it's a change in the tilt of the world?  Alien plot?

Fingers crossed that the bases last a bit longer next time!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I have several eggs. Of them, only the mini has suffered a cracked base. I submitted a warranty, and received it. 18 months later I finally installed it as the cracked one seemed to work just fine. I’m not sure what leads to the cracked bases. Some try to correlate them to KABs, but my only egg without a KAB, was the mini. Who knows.