Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza at 825F?

Options
Frozen Chosen
Frozen Chosen Posts: 131
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone who wants to take their pizza skills to the far right side of the curve should check out this site: [p]http://jvpizza.sliceny.com/[p]I'm working on a sourdough starter now, then on to tackling the high temp issue. Lucky for the BGE crew that we can dial up such temperatures. This will probably cost me some arm hair.....

Comments

• Banker John
    Options
    Frozen Chosen,
    I am in no way discounting or discrediting the site you mentioned. I can only speak from experience. When temps go much above 550, the dough and toppings are not cooked to an equal doneness. i.e. if the dough may be just right but the toppings are torched and visa-versa.[p]There could be other variable that give me the results I have seen (perhaps a thicker dough that requires a little longer cook time).[p]Banker John

• Banker John,
    READ this guys site. He's the real deal, and carefully explains his technique, while addressing concerns such as yours. Funny we should get so exacting about Q (Turbinado sugar?), but not appreciate the nuances which may surround an exceptional pizza.....

• waruwaru
    Options
    I believe the guy also hangs out in the PizzaMaking forum. Those people are serious about their pizzas. :)
    [ul][li]http://www.pizzamaking.com/[/ul]
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Frozen Chosen,[p]
    Jeff makes a pretty good pizza...He is all over the Pizza forums...[p]As for me...I have been making different types of pizza..I have three different starters..one has been in the family for over 50 years....[p]I always cook my pizzas on the egg and I keep the top and bottom vents wide open.....pizza cooks in about 5 mins..[p]I use a plate setter ...legs down..copper pipe elbows..4 of them and the pizza stone on top of that..[p]I do pizzas all the time...once a week. I just have different recipes for dough.[p]Sometimes I like the neapolitan pizza like on Jeff's page and other times I like a Chicago style...

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Frozen Chosen,
    wife and i did two thin-crusted pizzas at 800 or so. damn good.[p]chopped clams, garlic, parsley, olive oil, etc.[p]best ever. we did them on the platesetter on a perforated metal screen.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Frozen Chosen,
    I checked out the link it looks pretty cool. Please, post a follow-up when you cook your pie. I have got do my home work/reading now :=)[p]Best regards, Pharmeggist

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    Options
    I've done this once, and managed to overcook the crust a bit, but the pizza was awesome (I did use Varsano's recipe). Post-mortem is that I needed to get the pizza stone a bit higher into the dome, along the lines icemncmth uses.

- Ed