Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Why not get a gasser, that is also a kamado:

http://www.primogrill.com/en-us/products/gas-grill
    Also this ceramic gas grill is only $3700, but they ship it for free, so that offsets it some:

https://www.amazon.com/Primo-G420C-Gas-Grill-Black/dp/B074X9XPJN

I still like the concept, just a little steep for a gas grill for my needs. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    X2 for the Blaze. I got the 34” Pro Series to “compliment” my egg. Works great. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Am I wrong hoping for a gasser that will sear in CI on the grate?

I think the problem might be most gas grills have some kind of deflector between the burner and the food.  I am sure it will work but you would probably be better with a side burner.  

I have ave noticed that Weber makes cast iron griddles that replace the cooking grid like this. It is enameled CI.  I would think it should work well because it drops in on top of the burner...but I haven’t seen one in action. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    My DCS has no problem searing on CI, it gets to 700 degrees in two minutes. If you’re looking for efficiency, you’ll be rewarded by paying a bit more $. 

With th that being said, the pizza ovens out there these days are pretty multi-functional too!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    One of the best (and least costly) things to get for searing is a chimney charcoal starter. For searing a steak, a $20 charcoal starter will do a better job than the $3k gasser.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    My ex is still using my old Weber Genesis that is it at least 15 years old.  Other than buying new flavor bars, it is all original and still works great.  Consumer Reports has been giving the Webers high ratings for years. 
    Raleigh, NC
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2019
    Options
    What's your budget?  With gassers you get what you pay for, and unfortunately to get a good one you really gotta throw some $ around.  I did a lot of research, talked to a lot of dealers and looked at all the major high-end brands in person from the Weber Summit all the way to the Kalamazoo (the Kalamazoo is stupid expensive so just go ahead and cross that one off your list).  At the end I choose Alfresco brand for my entire outdoor kitchen setup including Grill, side burner, sink, warming drawer, cabinets etc.   We looked at Wolf, Lynx, DCS, Fisher and Paykel, Blaze, Coyote and a dozen other brands.  Alfresco ticked off all the boxes and just seemed the most sturdy out of all the brands. Like ~1/2" stainless bars for the cooking grid, double walled dome, dedicated smoker burner, integrated rotisserie motor, Made soup-to-nuts in California etc.  Be aware, many of the big name brands are made overseas....  

https://blog.yaleappliance.com/alfresco-vs-wolf-professional-outdoor-grills

Once you get above the Weber price range they're all pretty great. Just try and visit several dedicated dealers and look in person. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Z-vDd6mvU
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

PK360 is what a lot of guys use in steak cook offs.  Close to the coals, and no ceramic to heat up.

I don't own one, but its on the list.
    Phoenix 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    If the main goal is fast sear ability, I would go with a Wok Burner. Toss your CI skillet on there and you are 1000 degrees in minutes.
    Obviously also great for Wok cooking but works for large pot boiling as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SonVolt
    edited January 2019
    Options

You can absolutely sear in CI directly over the grate with a good gasser.  I seared 2 chickens and then the potatoes in a 12" CI pan set directly over the grate a few weeks ago. The advantage over a dedicated burner is that you can shut the lid and you've got an oven to finish off thicker items.  The best part? Keeps the mess outside! 

https://youtu.be/qvxgO71f99E
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I have the old version of the Weber Genesis S-335. Essentially 4 burners (3 main burners and a "sear station" burner), with a side burner.  Didn't think I'd use the side burner but I use it all the time - mostly to start my chimney full of lump for the egg, and sometimes keep sauces and stuff warm.

It's about 6 years old, works like a champ, EXCEPT that the bottom has rusted apart.  Turns out that some dumbass (yeah, that's me) left a salt block in the bottom, and it got wet, and the constant drizzle of heavy saltwater corroded the bottom shelf.  now the doors have fallen off and the base is falling apart.

I called Weber.  Out of warranty.  Parts would cost around $400, at their cost, to replace the base.  It's too bad, because the top is in perfect shape.  Stainless steel, sits out in the rain and snow all year, and works very well.  

The new models - lifetime warranty on the base.  Probably explains why it costs about $400 more.  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I have both the webber Q 120 and 220 and love them for burgers or steaks or etc     but for your application I would use my Burner to the turkey fryer and a 15 inch lodge skillet  or the 17 with dual handles but the 17 is pretty large for the burner I have.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Komokaegger
    Options
    My biggest recommendation would be to get one with a rip roarin’ side burner. Great for searing and such.

When I needed a gasser, I bought a Napoleon P500RSIB. 1800F side burner. I seared steaks in -13F weather this week. 
    X2
    great grill for quick BBQ
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited January 2019
    Options
    There's a guy on the Brethren who was asking $3k for his gasser. He paid 8k new. He put it on Ebay with no reserve. Less than 13 hours left and the current bid of $560 hasn't moved since yesterday. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Viking-VGBQ532-3RT-E-Propane-BBQ-Grill-Ultra-Premium-Grill-Cart/323640776168?hash=item4b5a7e55e8:g:qCkAAOSw~llcNNZ8

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    With that said, it did not get hot enough to sear.  If all you want is to sear, get a medium egg.  I can be up to temp in 20 minutes.  Then put on my smokeware snuffer, close the bottom vent and walk away.
    I used my medium BGE tonight... From lighting it to over 400F in <10 minutes. Up to about 700 in <20 minutes (forgot to reduce the top vent opening earlier). I've not used my gasser in at least a month now, since I decided to see if I could do everything on the BGE that I would have done on that.
    I am finding that I can get the BGE up to cooking temperature about as fast as the gasser does/did. Since that takes at least 15-20 minutes to get to 350F in the winter months. So getting to a higher temperature in the same time, or less, with the BGE is a major plus in it's favor for staying.
    I'll be looking to get the Smokeware cap for the egg soon.
    IF I ever decide to get another gas grill (the current one is slated to go to the curb come spring) I'll be looking either for a Weber (Genesis II, 2 burner) or something like a Ducane (when I have the $$ for that, and am no longer renting so I can get it piped for gas).
    BTW, the gasser has become more of a storage place for some items while I'm using the BGE. At least until I get the table made. ;) Hoping to get that done come spring.

Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I have a four burner (plus IR rotisserie) Cal Flame with GrillGrates. Since I bought the Egg, it only gets used for searing. I can get it up to 900* fairly quickly.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    There's a guy on the Brethren who was asking $3k for his gasser. He paid 8k new. He put it on Ebay with no reserve. Less than 13 hours left and the current bid of $560 hasn't moved since yesterday. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Viking-VGBQ532-3RT-E-Propane-BBQ-Grill-Ultra-Premium-Grill-Cart/323640776168?hash=item4b5a7e55e8:g:qCkAAOSw~llcNNZ8

Wish it was local to me.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    WeberWho said:

Wish it was local to me.
    This had to sting a little for the seller 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • tharding
    Options
    I am running with a Commercial Grade "Lion". Very happy with it.

Enjoying life on my LBGE in Tell City, IN. Cheers!!

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    If there was ever a reason for straight banishment, this is it!  Been nice knowing ya!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That actually looks kinda cool  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    @Canugghead That looks kind of interesting... Maybe an accessory to go along with a BGE. Or something to have a place for when you make a BGE table. ;) Since I don't take long walks along the beach it would be relegated to occasional use, at the most. Even though it seems hard to beat the flavor you get from cooking on good lump charcoal. Especially since I was grilling on propane for so many years. Now I really know the difference [good lump] charcoal can give.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Definitely an accessory b/c those things sear and only sear.  You still need a way to cook larger steaks/cuts through.