Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aged Prime Rib Roast - 45 days

Options
paqman
paqman Posts: 4,670
edited January 2019 in EggHead Forum
Started the dry aging process in the basement fridge 1.5 month before Christmas.  The roast was purchased at Costco and had too much fat already removed for my taste but I decided to try it anyway.

I simply rinsed the piece of meat under cold water and then pat dry it using paper towels.  The roast was then placed bone side down on an anti-adhesive cookie cooling rack (I opted for anti-adhesive to avoid rusting).  The cookie cooling rack was then placed above a baking sheet lined with saran wrap and some salt.  The meat wasn’t touching the salt it was simply to avoid bad stuff in case of dripping.

Fast forward 45 days and I ended up with the tastiest roast I ever done; it was a relief.  I used the basement fridge without any setup for humidity control/airflow so I was somewhat scared of the result (I had a backup plan for Christmas diner 😂).

After breakfast on the Christmas morning, I took out the roast from the fridge and trimed the outer jerky like layer.  I kept the trimmings and used them to do a beef stock base for the au jus sauce that I served with the meal.  I cut a 3 bones roast for the diner and separated the roast from the rib rack and tied everything back together with cotton twine.  The roast was then kept for a few hours until after lunch at toom temperature to slowly bring up the temperature.  I seared the sides of the roast before cooking it fir several hours at 200-225F until an internal temperature of 120F was reached.  It wad then let to rest inside at the keep warm setting while we got everything else ready for diner.

Oh, yes, forgot that I sliced a few thin pieces for carpaccio served with parmesan slices and balsamic glaxe for appetizers before I tied everything back together.

Pictures in random order:

Comments