Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yes! The answer is... yes!

JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,939
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    "A May 2014 investigation from this very website — one which, by my own admission, began as a campaign to smear those who enjoyed well-done beef — found that when people self-reported their steak preferences, most said medium-rare, followed by medium and then medium-well."

Nice of the author to be so upfront about his own inherent bias. :)

"Longhorn shared a year’s worth of steak orders from all of its 491 U.S. locations, revealing how Americans ordered all different cuts of steak. It turns out that Americans claim to like their steak a lot rarer than they actually do!"

I guess that goes hand in hand with that sort of machismo/peer pressure that some give in to in order to not be mocked/bullied by their friends and risk losing their man card.
    "You're damn right I eat my steaks so rare they still have a pulse. Ain't no other way son".

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    There’s a week missing from their data.  I want to know what people ordered that last week of May and why this has been excluded.  What are they hiding?  
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    It’s about Dook’s loss to Syracuse. YES!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • After the 2016 election, I refuse to click on, read, or believe anything from fivethirtyeight. Nate Silver?  Dead to me. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I find it interesting how much variation in what temperature people consider medium rare. 
    Any steak with an internal temperature from 95 degrees to 105 degrees Fahrenheit is rare, anything from 115 to 125 degrees is medium-rare...

If measuring true final internal temperature, I think these numbers are low. A steak cooked to 130-135 (final temp) is still medium rare IMO. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I find it interesting how much variation in what temperature people consider medium rare. 
    Any steak with an internal temperature from 95 degrees to 105 degrees Fahrenheit is rare, anything from 115 to 125 degrees is medium-rare...

If measuring true final internal temperature, I think these numbers are low. A steak cooked to 130-135 (final temp) is still medium rare IMO. 

I’ve even seen some folks report MR at 140, but I don’t think the color really matches MR expectations when you cook it that much.
  • After the 2016 election, I refuse to click on, read, or believe anything from fivethirtyeight. Nate Silver?  Dead to me. 
    I really do not want to sidetrack this thread into politics, but in the final week of the election, 538 had the actual outcome as being somewhere between a one out of three and one out of four chance.  That was obviously miles better than most of the forecasts.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Legume said:

I’ve even seen some folks report MR at 140, but I don’t think the color really matches MR expectations when you cook it that much.
    Would this fall under the ever popular "the cow drives the cook"?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    I wonder if the results from the top steakhouses would be radically different from Longhorn's results. I would think that there would be a major difference in the client base from a chain to a top end place. Not to denigrate Longhorn's in general, but the two I have been to are on a par with Sizzler and Burger Pit. Even Outback and Black Angus pale in comparison to the really good places.

Disclaimer: I love Ruth's Chris!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Yno said:
    I wonder if the results from the top steakhouses would be radically different from Longhorn's results. I would think that there would be a major difference in the client base from a chain to a top end place. Not to denigrate Longhorn's in general, but the two I have been to are on a par with Sizzler and Burger Pit. Even Outback and Black Angus pale in comparison to the really good places.

Disclaimer: I love Ruth's Chris!
    I’ve never been to Longhorn, they closed them all here not long ago anyways, but if I did eat at one I’d probably order my steak medium.  At Ruth’s Chris I go medium rare but with lower quality cuts I’d shy away from a cool center.  So if I were part of the sample my steak order for the survey (from Longhorn) would be more well done than what I’d give as my answer to the question in general. 

I’d probably skip a steak and go with a burger at a place like Longhorn anyways.   
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    Even Outback....  :rofl:
    I really do not want to sidetrack this thread into politics, but in the final week of the election, 538 had the actual outcome as being somewhere between a one out of three and one out of four chance.  That was obviously miles better than most of the forecasts.  
    Not sidetracking into politics so much as observing that information from online outlets and sources generally assumed to be trustworthy isn't always what it's cracked up to be.  Far be it from me to stir a political pot on a food-centric (if not food-exclusive) forum.  

I believe in rare steak, exclusively, and I've been known to preach the gospel to the unconverted.  Yesterday, I posted a bone in ribeye reverse sear cook from Sunday night that I let go to 125 IT -- some say that's a perfect medium rare, which is why I let it go that far, but it was way overdone for my taste.  Our guest destroyed it with no complaint (he's polite and wants to stay in the King's good graces as he courts the Princess), and no one at the table seemed disappointed, except for me.  It was a $90.00 hunk of meat and, to me, it was ruined by 10 degrees.

Personally, I'll go with what Martha Stewart has to say about temps and guidelines.  She's my favorite convicted felon and her rehab tour, in which she's often spotted with Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr. (aka Snoop Dogg to the uninitiated, fo shizzle), has convinced me to follow her wisdom.  Unlike Nate Silver and his ilk, Martha has publicly apologized for her transgressions, fully repented and paid her debt to society!

https://www.marthastewart.com/270074/meat-temperatures-chart

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    trex
    123 strip loin
    127 ribeye
    works for me and rest it on a rack, not on a plate
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Never mind -- eff Martha Stewart, too.  November 2006.  Chx to 165.  Pork to 165.  Feh.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    After the 2016 election, I refuse to click on, read, or believe anything from fivethirtyeight. Nate Silver?  Dead to me. 
    Might I suggest The National Enquirer might be more appropriate for you and your "ilk"?
    HendersonTRKing said:

Yesterday, I posted a bone in ribeye reverse sear cook from Sunday night that I let go to 125 IT -- some say that's a perfect medium rare, which is why I let it go that far, but it was way overdone for my taste.  

I don't know man, your steak looks perfect.  A rare Ribeye typically isn't that great IMO because the fat doesn't render to my liking. It's one of those cuts that really shines when cooked more towards the medium / medium-rare side of things.

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • @SonVolt -- it was over, trust me.  I get it -- rib eyes need a bit more for the delicious fat to render.  If I pulled it at 115, it would have been perfection.  125+ whatever holdover rise it got was too much.

There were a few pieces left over that the Prince and I put on our flattop last night for cheesesteaks.  Fried onion, sweet and hot peppers, and shredded cheese -- all covered by a couple amoroso club rolls.  That was perfection.   No pix, so call me out that it didn't happen if you must.

Sorry for the hijack . . . back to 538's polling results.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • I’ve always heard that if a steak is bone in, to let it go a little longer. More of medium, to maximize the flavor. Don’t think I’ve cooked anything bone in before except rib roast.. Anybody find that to be true? I just can’t imagine it would make that much difference  
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Mdames501 said:
    I’ve always heard that if a steak is bone in, to let it go a little longer. More of medium, to maximize the flavor. Don’t think I’ve cooked anything bone in before except rib roast.. Anybody find that to be true? I just can’t imagine it would make that much difference  
    https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/myth-bones-make-meat-better

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Mdames501 said:
    I’ve always heard that if a steak is bone in, to let it go a little longer. More of medium, to maximize the flavor. Don’t think I’ve cooked anything bone in before except rib roast.. Anybody find that to be true? I just can’t imagine it would make that much difference  
    https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/myth-bones-make-meat-better
    That was a good read.  Thanks for sharing.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    I am in the medium to med well camp.   I used t like well done when growing up but now I like medium for strips and medium well for ribeyes.   the medium rare is not rendered enough for my taste.  Also, I cook my steak slower than most to get it to render.   then I sear it for crust.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston