Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bbq Gloves

Options
What are you guys using around the grill?  My BGE gloves are wearing out. 
3- BGE’s  2(Large) 1(Mini Max) 
1- Santa Maria Outfitters Pit 

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Premiala makes a great heat resistant glove, move hot CI even a plate setter. Sold by Amazon.

note, not for handling wet/hot food. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I don't remember the last time I used/needed gloves.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Generally I just grab a couple pair of huge tongs, or a combo of spatula and tongs, or spoons, or channel locks.  My robotic appendages are infinitely variable and I am converted to a human controlled robot, impervious to pain from heat.  But I use my organic appendages to slurp cold adult beverage, because that's how I EFFIN ROLL.
    Options
    Harbor freight welding gloves. Maybe 8-10 dollars and when they get nasty, repeat. I’m with Nola too. Good tongs or channel locks used upside down
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I use cheap gloves. Academy has good cheap BBQ gloves. I like them because they are long. If doing pizza long gloves are a blessing.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Anybody use the Dragon's Knuckle gloves yet.  I've see videos of people holding onto burning charcoal with them...….figured I'd let someone else try it first.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    For me there are a couple everyone needs. First is either good insulated welding gloves or the newer knit type high heat gloves. Second is the cotton gloves used in combo with the nitrile gloves over top. I don’t want to be handling hot food etc with my knit or welding gloves and visa versa. 
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    i also have some of the rubber gloves for handling meats coming off the egg they work great.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I use heavy welding gloves that I got on Amazon, they work great and have lasted a long time (still going strong).
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Amazon sells the 900F+ models. Get the black ones. They don’t show the crud. 
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Go to your local fire equipment store, and buy a pair of firefighter gloves (look for sales). Or make friends with your local fire department, you may be able to get a used pair.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    Go to your local fire equipment store, and buy a pair of firefighter gloves (look for sales). Or make friends with your local fire department, you may be able to get a used pair.
    +1  +2  +3

They protect from heat even wet.  Many of the high heat knit gloves will pass hot liquid right through even though you can handle very hot items with them if that item is dry.  Only issue with fire fighting gloves is the cost. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    +1  +2  +3

They protect from heat even wet.  Many of the high heat knit gloves will pass hot liquid right through even though you can handle very hot items with them if that item is dry.  Only issue with fire fighting gloves is the cost. 
    Haha yes indeed.  Steam is not your friend.  :o
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • RockyTopDW
    Options
    Another vote for cheap welding gloves.  They’re too handy to not have.  Great for the egg, fireplace, etc
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I have a single welding glove to use when I want to avoid arm hair singe, other than that I use some silicone gloves I got on Amazon which are good for handling the proteins and cookware.  Leather gloves aren’t the best for handling briskets and butts so the silicone gloves definitely come in handy for meat handling.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DN9UKHC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I've been really happy with Pit Mitts...but I'm pretty sure they won't protect from hot liquids.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    njl said:
    I've been really happy with Pit Mitts...but I'm pretty sure they won't protect from hot liquids.
    I too have Pit Mitts, plus a couple other pairs which are comparable with lesser known brand names which I received as gifts. Otherwise when it is bitter cold outside I prefer the solid hard scilicone pairs since they slip on and off easily whereas the woven mitts have tight wrist collars and are a pita.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.