Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first home dry-aging

Bought this back on December 20th.  Lopped off a two rib roast for Christmas Eve.  The rest went into the basement fridge on a rimmed sheet pan.  I just let it rest on the bones, and I did not cover with cheesecloth or paper toweling - no fan either.  I just went down there every couple of days to check on things and exchange the air.

It never smelled of spoilage, just an odor that some describe as cheesy-funky.  Oddly enough, today when I retrieved it, there was very little odor - I’m guessing that there was enough outer dry crust to act as a seal.

This is day 23 of dry-aging.  I decided to carve off two generously sized steaks - each one bone.  The remaining two ribs went back to the basement.

I’m a bit undecided whether to leave the bones attached.  I have a lot of time invested in this so don’t want to foul it up...  Game plan is to roast low and slow in the oven then do a finishing sear on the egg.  I would appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding bone on or off and the cook.

Looking pretty sweet.

Maryland, 1 LBGE

Comments

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Those look awesome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2019
    Game plan is to roast low and slow in the oven then do a finishing sear on the egg.  I would appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding bone on or off and the cook.
    Nice looking piece of beef! But why would you roast it in the oven and just sear on the egg? If you want to use both cookers, you've got it backwards. Why not do the whole cook on the egg? Roasting there will add tons of smokey goodness and raising the temp from 250-ish to searing temp will take no time at all.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    @Carolina Q. I appreciate the comments.   I’m thinking I want a neutral flavor profile - going with just kosher salt and course ground black pepper.  The indoor oven gives me total control of temperature.  Tonight will be 20-something degrees with about 6” of fresh snow - not really conducive to keeping a close eye on egg temp.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • If it is your first dry age cook know that since it has aged it has lost a lot of water and will cook faster.  That has been my experience when I dry age.  For that reason I reverse sear.  Even if using the oven I would go that route so you don't overcook it.
  • JohnEggGio
    If it is your first dry age cook know that since it has aged it has lost a lot of water and will cook faster.  That has been my experience when I dry age.  For that reason I reverse sear.  Even if using the oven I would go that route so you don't overcook it.
    Thanks for the cook-time tip.  
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
     That looks delicious- well done!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @JohnEggGio I would inhale that over-cook all day long.  Great undertaking and outcome to date.  Ballsy move and definitely delivering the goods.  Congrats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnEggGio
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnEggGio I would inhale that over-cook all day long.  Great undertaking and outcome to date.  Ballsy move and definitely delivering the goods.  Congrats!
    Thank you!  Will do again.  Same method - pull at 120.  Going to 30+ days with last price.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • lousubcap said:
    Thank you!  Will do again.  Same method - pull at 120.  Going to 30+ days with last price.
    Agree. I over did my first few dry aged steaks, second time around I pulled at 115 and tented under foil while the cast iron got hot for a Chicago style sear ... came out perfect 
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    beautiful.  one of my Christmas gifts from the inlaws was a costco gift card to buy some more beef to dry age some more. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Very Nice!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Aged steaks cook faster than non. Very easy to overcook. Looks great to me!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• JohnEggGio
    Thanks everyone.  That CI sear created a delicious, almost crunchy crust.  I had a few bites of cold leftover steak this morning - very good flavor.  This one was choice - I’m thinking my next purchase will be prime.  @unoriginalusername you might be right - 115 might be the correct target.  
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    Day 43.  2 bones left.  Split it - cooking one tonight, put the other back in the fridge.  Finished trimmed-up steak is about 2.75”.  Same cooking method as last time, but pulling at 115, then the CI sear.

Egg is fired!

Green ceramic cap on top of Smokeware cap just to defrost.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Great eats await.  Home DA is the way to go.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnEggGio

Abdolutely delicious, but I was expecting it to be more tender.  Starting a boneless ribeye agoing tomorrow - it’s prime vs this one being choice.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    That looks fantastic, time to for me to start another one.
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Yes, sir!  Super Bowl Champ eats right there!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Outstanding brother!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Now that is getting rewarded for your sustained efforts.  Great cook and money shot for the win.  Congrats across the entire process and various results. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnEggGio
    Thanks for the kind comments, y’all.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • WOW . . . making me super hungry  :o
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • JohnEggGio
    My second effort at home dry-aging, I went with a boneless prime whole ribeye.  These steaks are 49 days.  I found the prime to be much more tender.  

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    Note to self: only dry-age prime.  Tonight had 50-day choice NY strip...good flavor but too dry and a bit tough.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110

Abdolutely delicious, but I was expecting it to be more tender.  Starting a boneless ribeye agoing tomorrow - it’s prime vs this one being choice.
    How was the tenderness of this steak compared to the last one that you thought was a little overcooked?
    To me, at times, a steak that is real rare is still chewy and seems tougher?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • how much meat did you "shave off" and discard from the drying process?
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • JohnEggGio
    @Photo Egg This last steak was a good deal tougher - could be that I was starting out with a very lean strip.  
    @speed51133. Last weekend I cut away a lot, right down to the all lean center.  I was expecting to cook them then, but surprise house guests prompted me to put them back in the fridge until yesterday.  No doubt that contributed to the dryness - I cut away the protective crust and put them back in the fridge for a week.  
    Maryland, 1 LBGE