Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket question

Options
Cooking my first brisket today on the green egg. I’m cooking at around 250° and have an 8 lb brisket on. I put it on at 7:15am. 2 hours later and it is already up to 180° internal temp. I plan to wrap it at 185 and cook to 200. Is it normal to get to that fast an internal temp in such a short time?  I’m planning on dinner at 5 so that’s 7 hours away. At the rate it’s going this brisket will seem to be done way too early. I was expecting it to take around 7-8 hours from everything I read online. 

Comments

• Jasonbird
    Options
    If you wrap it, it'll cook faster. I'd only wrap it if it's really getting a dark bark and you don't like it. Or if it looks like it is drying out, but that doesn't seem to be a problem on the Egg. So far my experience has been that everything cooks pretty fast in the Egg. Is the fat cap down? I think at higher temps the conveggtor can radiate heat and overcook the bottom. If you wrap it up good in paper and some towels and store it in a cooler, it'll stay warm until you're ready to eat. Spray it with some water, juice, cider or something like that to keep it moist, and you also could drop the temperature to 225 or so.... good luck!
  • runin90lx
    Options
    I went ahead and wrapped it and dropping the temp now to closer to 225. It had a nice colored bark it just isn’t real crispy looking if that makes sense. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Late to the party but it sounds like a flat and that is fast at 250*F on the dome.  (Thermo calibrated?)  Just go till it probes tender and that may be at 200 or usually higher.  Then let it rest on a cooling rack fro around 15-20 mins to stop the carry-over cooking the ftc til time to eat.  Slice across the grain and only on demand.
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • runin90lx
    Options
    I wrapped it tight in foil and left on the smoker for 3 hours at 240 avg temp.  When I pulled it I used a different digital thermo and it read 207 internal.  It’s now wrapped in a towel and sitting in a cooler until dinner time. 

I believe eve next time I will use larger chunks of wood because the ones I got at Academy seemed to burn off fast and I lost a lot of the smoke after a couple hours. 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Welcome.

Just cook until it probes like butter. I only use the T to tell me when to start probing. I usually start around 190 probing the meat. Some is fine at about 193 and sometimes I have to go over 200 to get it to probe right.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group