Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salt Fat Acid Heat

Im probably late to the party here, but I picked up a copy of this book over the holidays and have to say I’ve been leaning a lot. The material is very accessible. As someone who started cooking later in life and with zero training, I’m more adventurous than knowledgeable in the kitchen. I’ve definitely found a lot of “oh, so that’s why...” moments. I haven’t gotten around to trying the recipes yet, but the information is very useful. 
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• CPARKTX said:
    Im probably late to the party here, but I picked up a copy of this book over the holidays and have to say I’ve been leaning a lot. The material is very accessible. As someone who started cooking later in life and with zero training, I’m more adventurous than knowledgeable in the kitchen. I’ve definitely found a lot of “oh, so that’s why...” moments. I haven’t gotten around to trying the recipes yet, but the information is very useful. 
    Agree. Started with the Netflix special, fell in love and got the book 
  • Check out the tv show on Netflix as well.  It’s fabtadtic.  

After reading the book and watching the tv show, I’ve made a couple seemingly minor changes in my cooking that have had major impacts 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Not sure how I missed the thread about the show, thanks for pointing that out
  • I have had the book for about a year now but I wasn't aware of the Netflix show.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Yeah the Netflix show is very well done and easy to breeze through in a day or two. 
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • Both the show and series are good, my preference being for the former, which goes into much more detail. 

The only thing I didn’t like about the show was Samin’s repetition of “sooo good” with every bite she took. She could take a cue from Mr. Fieri and vary her comments - “Welcome to flavor town!”
  • Both the show and series are good, my preference being for the former, which goes into much more detail. 

The only thing I didn’t like about the show was Samin’s repetition of “sooo good” with every bite she took. She could take a cue from Mr. Fieri and vary her comments - “Welcome to flavor town!”
    What do you mean show vs series?  Only know about the four parter on Netflix and the book
  • CPARKTX
    Just bung watched series on Netflix. Very well done. Even kids were in on the action. 

What do you mean show vs series?  Only know about the four parter on Netflix and the book
    Please forgive this egregious error. 

“book and series”

Please forgive this egregious error. 

“book and series”
    Ah had my hopes up there might be more 
  • CPARKTX said:
    Just bung watched series on Netflix. Very well done. Even kids were in on the action. 
    Not sure what “bung watching” is, but also not sure I want to know. 
    @GrateEggspectations caught another one huh?

MiniMax 04/17

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    My salt content has 5x since watching the Netflix, though per advise from this forum I did switch to diamond crystal kosher which has much less sodium. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Raymont said:
    My salt content has 5x since watching the Netflix, though per advise from this forum I did switch to diamond crystal kosher which has much less sodium. 
    Ditto 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Raymont said:
    Measured by weight all salts have essentially the same sodium level. Measured by volume the amount of sodium will vary depending upon the type of crystals/flakes - "fluffier" salts will contain less sodium per teaspoon than finer grain salts simply because there is more air in a teaspoon of a fluffier salt compared to a fine grain table salt.
    Important to keep in mind that if you are trying to create a brine solution with a specific percentage of sodium to measure the salt by weight.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CPARKTX said:
    Not sure what “bung watching” is, but also not sure I want to know. 
    @GrateEggspectations caught another one huh?

It is my favourite pastime, after all.  ;)
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Started watching this one.  Through the fat and salt episodes.  Pretty entertaining and informative.  Learning quite a bit.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• I watched all 4 episodes this evening while my wife was attending an in-service meeting at work.

I especially enjoyed the Fat episode as we will be in Italy in March. Kind of got some ideas for meals while we are there.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Both the show and series are good, my preference being for the former, which goes into much more detail. 

I don't have Netflix so checked to see if its on EweTube, and they show 10 episodes of "Season 1"; is that something different?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• HeavyG
    Botch said:
    Both the show and series are good, my preference being for the former, which goes into much more detail. 

I don't have Netflix so checked to see if its on EweTube, and they show 10 episodes of "Season 1"; is that something different?  
    Features the same chef/author but different. The Netflix series is four hour longish episodes each based on one specific title word - salt, fat, etc.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Thanks, @HeavyG; since I don't have Netflix I'll dive into the free stuff this coming weekend (supposedly a huge snowstorm approaches...)  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Not trying to be an ass here, seriously asking.  I watched the first two episodes and other than the diamond crystal salt, what have you all learned that you can use frequently in your cooking?

I'm already a salt snob with at least 6 different ones in the house now so that was just reassuring :)  The Focaccia had some interesting things but I don't really eat bread.  I wish they had more of recipes you could start with like the entire braised ribs.  Laying out exactly what brands of things they are using...

It's very well done, great cinematography.  I like seeing the old ways of doing things, just not sure how I could reproduce most of them here at home. 

What did you guys learn? 

• HeavyG
    Botch said:
    Thanks, @HeavyG; since I don't have Netflix I'll dive into the free stuff this coming weekend (supposedly a huge snowstorm approaches...)  
    Be sure to hit her website - https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/ - and at least peruse the recipes from each episode.

• Holy Crap, that's awesome.  I never thought to see if they had a website.  Thank you https://eggheadforum.com/profile/HeavyG, that takes care of one of my wishes
  • CPARKTX

Not trying to be an ass here, seriously asking.  I watched the first two episodes and other than the diamond crystal salt, what have you all learned that you can use frequently in your cooking?

I'm already a salt snob with at least 6 different ones in the house now so that was just reassuring :)  The Focaccia had some interesting things but I don't really eat bread.  I wish they had more of recipes you could start with like the entire braised ribs.  Laying out exactly what brands of things they are using...

It's very well done, great cinematography.  I like seeing the old ways of doing things, just not sure how I could reproduce most of them here at home. 

What did you guys learn? 

Fair question, to me, the show was fun and enjoyable, but not super detailed, the book has tons of information that really are influencing how I cook, and my understanding of cooking and why recipes do certain things.  
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    CPARKTX said:
    Just finished reading it, checked out from the library.  Added to my list for a future purchase, and took a few photos of the 'art' references pages.  I definitely learned a lot from the book and the Netflix series, going to watch it again, as it has been a while..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    I enjoyed the show,  but did think it was a little weird she started to cry when she ate the cheese...  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300