Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

black mustard seeds

went to the bazaar today looking for the seeds,  they had tiny black mustard seeds and micro tiny raai black mustard seeds. is there a difference
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Yeah, one set is bigger than the other, smaller set.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yeah, one set is bigger than the other, smaller set.  
    was told the smaller ones packed more punch but all i could think of was theres more in a cup =) probably hand sorted as well
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I saw only one size of the black mustard last night. I don't know if it was tiny or micro tiny, but it was pretty small. Not gonna worry about it. =)

However, I just got back from my local spice shop with a jar of juniper berries. Good to go for Cat's Ribs (well, except for the ribs).

https://spicemillct.com/store/Juniper-Berries-2-50-oz-p110592851

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    “The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his field. It is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is larger than all the garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches.”
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I’ve usually used the smaller black mustard seeds and yellow mustard seeds, since that’s what my mom always used. I don’t think there is a discernible difference in flavor. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Maybe this’ll help? Cut and pasted from a website...

1. The distinction between black and brown mustard is hard as both the seeds have almost the similar characteristics.
    2. When compared to the brown mustards, the black mustards are a little bigger in size.
    3. Though it is hard to make out a difference in the flavour, the black mustards have a slightly strong flavour than the brown mustard.
    4. When brown mustards are mainly used for seasoning foods, black mustards are mainly used for regular cooking.
    5. The black mustards, which come from Brassica nigra, are popular in Asia Minor and Middle East. The brown mustard, which is derived from Brassica juncea, has its origins in the Himalayas.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    caliking said:
    I’ve usually used the smaller black mustard seeds and yellow mustard seeds, since that’s what my mom always used. I don’t think there is a discernible difference in flavor. 

the store owner said her mom always used the smaller ones as well, i went with those
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    these are like specks

fukahwee maine

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    looks about right. Bigger than poppy seeds, but not by a lot. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    What do we use black mustard seeds for?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Flavortown
    Juniper flavored cat ribs.  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/2007/juniper-berries

Scroll down for rib recipe.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    cats ribs and im pickling some to top some salmon stuffed shrooms this weekend. see how it goes with the salmon shrooms
    fukahwee maine

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    If you like your mustard pungent, try soaking for 24 hours in the refrigerator water and vinegar just enough to cover the seeds.

After a day, hit the seed water and vinegar mixture with a stick blender. 

Let that sit in the fridge for another day.

Sinus clearing mustard!!

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• nolaegghead
    If you want really hot mustard, don't soak in vinegar.  Add vinegar later. 

Acids denature the enzyme that makes the hot compounds.  Vinegar neutralizes that enzyme. To activate the enzymes, add water, grind, blend, etc. Freeze the heat with vinegar.  The heat will eventually fade, it's really hot right after you mix it up.
    Nah, I am
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS