Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New cooking toy from amazing wife and daughter

so I’ve been feeling very down these days because I’m not bouncing back from this surgery like I have every other time.  I’ve become difficult to deal with because of uncontrolled pain and have been short with my wife and daughter.  I try not to take the pain meds because I do not like the way they make me feel. 

My Wife (Marci) and daughter (Norah Grace) no how sad I am not to be able to cook because I can not lift the dome lids on my kamado cookers.   I received bad news from KJ that I can’t retrofit the airlift hinge onto my Classic 1....real bummer but Bobby was kind explains the reason why and told me not to give up hope.  Apparently even my text messages and emails are coming across as pathetic/discouraged.  

Norah Grace and Marci purchased a 36inch Blackstone Griddle for me.  They purchased a cover and set of griddle tools to get me started!   I have to admit that I cried not a little bit full streaks down my face.   It wasn’t the griddle or the accessories, it’s the fact that they recognize how much I love to cook and how it’s breaking my hart not to be able to.   They found a way for me to be able to cook outside, a way for me to be able to prepare food for people, which is what I love.  

Sory to be long winded, but I am truly blessed beyond measure.  I’ve been given a wife and child who I know are giving something that they wanted to provide something for me.  I just can’t believe how fortunate I am. 

Thanks for reading my longwinded post.  Looking forward to cooking with Chef Norah Grace (who by the way tells everyone to follow her @the_buckeye_bbq on that instant gram thing). 
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Stay strong my friend.  You are blessed to have such great family.  I’m sure you will put that Blackstone to good use.  I think you and Norah Grace need to break that thing in and post pics. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    @mEGG_My_Day as soon as it gets to the house we will be all over it.  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    The older we get the longer it takes to recover from medical procedures. Hang in there, sounds like you have a great support team!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    That's taking it up a few notches. You have great in house support. Next up, smash burgers. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    It sounds like you have a great family. The Blackstone is just a bonus 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • You may not have a great back, but you have what many others do not (and what many would give up everything else for) - unconditional love and support from two individuals who think you’re the most important thing in their worlds. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    All I can say is stay focused on the recovery process and keep getting up to face the day. As others have said, you have two people who love you unconditionally and support you. Many people have spouses who simply cannot/won’t do what they did. They are too caught up in their own head, selfish that you are in the spotlight or simply angry that currently you require them to get off their *ss. The only piece of advice I would give is that when you know you have been short tempered which is only natural, remember to say “sorry” and give them a hug. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Hell man, I had tears reading this. Our whole life changed four years ago when I had my heart attack. I haven't worked steady since then and I too know the love of cooking. I haven't been fun to live with the last few years either.

But loved ones make it easier. Praying for you. Enjoy your new cooking experience and post lots of pics on here.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• ryantt
    @SaintJohnsEgger I’m sorry to hear of your 4yr struggle.  I can’t imagine the  toll this has taken on you mentally.  There is something about an event like this, that clairifies ones perspective.  Something about an event like this, that shows us of who we truly can count on. 

• Family is most important in life, and it sounds like you have a good one. Enjoy that blackstone, it might help scratch the itch. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Fried rice is going to WOW the family.  They'll wonder why they didn't get you the Blackstone sooner!  Hang in there one day at a time.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ryantt said:
    @SaintJohnsEgger I’m sorry to hear of your 4yr struggle.  I can’t imagine the  toll this has taken on you mentally.  There is something about an event like this, that clairifies ones perspective.  Something about an event like this, that shows us of who we truly can count on. 
    @ryantt those struggles and the fact that people don't want to hire 60+ year old programmers is the reason I decided to retire last year. You are correct, it clarifies things. I'm really enjoying retirement and smoking meats. It makes me happy to see people enjoy what I cook. 

I want a Blackstone but the wife is resisting as she doesn't want to clutter up the back porch. So I got an Instant Pot and I'm having fun with that. 

PM me if you want to talk some and ill give you my phone number.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I often related life experiences to music.....its just how i am wired. I am reminded by your story of a similar situation experienced by a young Tom Petty. I believe the story goes something like this....when a young musician as involved in a motorcycle wreck, there was a long period of time of which he struggled as he was unable to play guitar. He wrote this song....still one of my favorites.

https://youtu.be/uMyCa35_mOg

Probably not much help.....but do hope you continue down a positive path....though it may be slow. Here is to healthy days ahead.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ryantt
    edited January 2019
    ryantt said:
    @ryantt those struggles and the fact that people don't want to hire 60+ year old programmers is the reason I decided to retire last year. You are correct, it clarifies things. I'm really enjoying retirement and smoking meats. It makes me happy to see people enjoy what I cook. 

I want a Blackstone but the wife is resisting as she doesn't want to clutter up the back porch. So I got an Instant Pot and I'm having fun with that. 

PM me if you want to talk some and ill give you my phone number.
    Thank you for the offer, it means a ton.  PM sent.  On my to the physical terorist I mean therapist 

• Hang in there Brother... Family Strong!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I am very sorry to hear about your back, and I hope that you will get better, but you have a great family. That is huge! Keep your head up. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Great gesture but the meaning is an order of magnitude more important.  Very caring.  Do your best to stay on the positive side of this as you move forward.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ryantt
    @lousubcap I’m trying, it was just bad yesterday.   I received news that I wasn’t expecting....I guess we all received news we were not prepaired for.    It’s been a tough month or so.   

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    I got something in both eyes just now....

Jacksonville FL
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    @ryantt. Your daughter is a true treasure.  The wife, too.  Sure hope you recover well
    beyond anyone’s expectations!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Good luck w the recovery.  I'd keep looking from a PT side as well.

They can work wonders really.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    You have 2 very special people at home . I know they'll make a big difference in your perspective on things, and hope that things will look up for you in terms of recovery and health.

And the more I hear about her, lil NG appears to be way wise beyond her years :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ryantt
    @caliking Norah Grace is an amazing kid.  I know I have a distorted view but she’s honestly the best kid I know.  She has a heart for people.  Watching her interact with the children and adults she comes in contact with point to a person God made for service.  I’ve neven met a child who willingly gives of herself so freely.  I’ve not ask her to cook dinner during my recovery or to help me when I try to get up she just dose it.   
    Well enough bragging about her, I’m sure all of you feel the same way about your little ones.