Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A different kind of brisket question

My wife and son have informed me that they don't like warmed over brisket or even vacuum sealed smoked brisket that is reheated. But they do want brisket, My first inclination is to tell them to "cook their own d### meat from now on" but I decided that that wouldn't give me much peace in my old age.

The decision was made by them that I should cut a brisket into smaller peaces and smoke one piece at a time so that there would be no left overs to reheat.

So my question: are there any issues with cutting a brisket into smaller pieces and smoking one at a time? Any changes in the way I should smoke it? Any suggestions? It seems to me that all the normal brisket wisdom would apply but I just want to make sure.
Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    IMO, it would taste better being carefully warmed than trying to cook smaller pieces of cut brisket.
    I don't have a Son, but would have no issues telling my wife to suck it up and deal with it. Make a chopped brisket sandwich, brisket enchiladas or brisket chili with the leftovers. Or feel free to cook a fresh brisket for herself. There are many great Women Egghead cooks. No reason your wife could not be one of them.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Smaller brisket chunks probably do well with the Travis method. 
    edited January 2019
    Sounds like you (they?) need to revise their reheating methods. If they're using the microwave, turn the power down to like 40% so it reheats very slowly. Or better yet, use a low oven so it gently steams. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    +1 on steaming.  it's how delis do it.
    I steam or vacuum seal and sous vide. Much better option than cooking smaller pieces.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Take them to Woodpecker's
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Photo Egg
    SonVolt said:
    Sounds like you (they?) need to revise their reheating methods. If they're using the microwave, turn the power down to like 40% so it reheats very slowly. Or better yet, use a low oven so it gently steams. 
    When I reheat vacsealed frozen brisket at my office I toss the frozen package in the fridge in the morning and heat under hot tap water at lunch. Then cut off a corner and use power down setting to finish in microwave like you do. It's still fork tender, jealous  co-worker food.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I don't mess with the power setting, just cover with a damp paper towel.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Smaller brisket chunks probably do well with the Travis method. 
    How does he do it?

-------------------------------

Seriously, as a recent convert, I'd suggest "Burnt Ends" as a re-heating method.  IDK if you can you make burnt ends with a leftover flat, but I suspect you can.  Or that whatever you chunk up, slather in delicious goo, and re-smoke covered at first and then not covered, would make a delicious sandwich, snack or meal.    
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • nolaegghead
    How does he do it?

Seriously, as a recent convert, I'd suggest "Burnt Ends" as a re-heating method.  IDK if you can you make burnt ends with a leftover flat, but I suspect you can.  Or that whatever you chunk up, slather in delicious goo, and re-smoke covered at first and then not covered, would make a delicious sandwich, snack or meal.    
    I think it's a half braise in beer and amino acids/Allegro.
    I don't mess with the power setting, just cover with a damp paper towel.

Always mess with the power setting; that's what it's there for. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Photo Egg
    How does he do it?

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Wondering what their objections were to the reheated brisket.
    I've reheated brisket via my sous vide tank and was quite satisfied with the results.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim said:
    I've done that and the love woodpecker's brisket. 
    MiniMax 04/17

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited January 2019
    No further insights other than to get the answer to the "what don't they like" issue.  If their comparison is right off the BGE then yes it is a slight degrade  but I am good with that every time.  Many great options above but the key is to somehow evaluate the issue-good luck with that.
    But if you want to establish a floor above which any solid cook will clear, then get a select brisket and make it a sacrificial anode.  After that, no worries.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Just invite over a few friends have them bring the sides, if still leftovers throw them in some chili!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Smaller brisket chunks probably do well with the Travis method. 
    How does he do it?

I think it's a half braise in beer and amino acids/Allegro.
    If only there were a post with how he does it . . . 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Photo Egg
    thetrim said:
    I've done that and the love woodpecker's brisket. 
    Problem solved.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Don't forget about all those good brisket leftovers. Chili, Tacos, Chopped brisket sammiches, Smoked Brisket and Tater Casserole

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Don't forget about all those good brisket leftovers. Chili, Tacos, Chopped brisket sammiches, Smoked Brisket and Tater Casserole
    I think that may be the answer. Cook a whole packer then let them eat as much as they want. Find a way yo use the leftovers instead of serving brisket leftovers.

MiniMax 04/17

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Make "Award Winning Smoked Brisket Chili" with any leftovers.  If they object to that.....smother them with a pillow while they sleep.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Don't forget about all those good brisket leftovers. Chili, Tacos, Chopped brisket sammiches, Smoked Brisket and Tater Casserole
    I had forgotten all about that shepherd's pie thread. Now I need to try it again. thanks @SmokeyPitt

MiniMax 04/17

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    edited January 2019
    I can't offer any specific advice related to cooking smaller pieces of brisket, but I can tell you my experience with cooking pork butts.
    A smaller butt cooks much faster, and will spend much less time in the smoke. This results in less smoke flavor and reduced bark formation. The sweet spot for me is 9 to 10 pound butts.
    I would do the larger brisket and live with the vacuum sealed leftovers.
  • Hans61
    I think this is then third time I’ve come back to read the comments on this thread and now I am really craving brisket!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    really want to try that tater tot casserole leftover idea 

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Hans61 said:
    really want to try that tater tot casserole leftover idea 

It wasn't tater tots...the taters were mashed...but I like the way you think!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead