Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inexpensive Stainless Table for Med BGE

Options
So.... I got a medium BGE for a housewarming gift (I know, cool friends, right?) and I needed a table that I could roll across my lawn to store the BGE when it wasn't being used.  I didn't want to keep it outside because of weather and theft concerns.
I started looking at tables but dang, they are spendy! 

I found a stainless prep table at Costco for just over $100 and went to work.
A few challenges - I mismeasured when cutting the hole and ended up hitting the support under the table top OOPS!  This was easily remedied by cutting a little the other direction - I just have a dorky looking flat spot in my *almost* round hole!
The wheels are a little small but so far have been working nicely.  They don't do well over uneven terrain but it's not the end of the world.  
The lower shelf is holding the weight of the BGE and needed a few modifications - I stiffened it up with some aluminum angle iron and replaced the set screws with stainless screws that went all the way through the legs to keep the shelf from sliding down under the weight of the BGE.  
The table as purchased was a little too tall for use as a BGE table so I cut the legs about 5 or 6 inches shorter from the top and set the table top back down on the trimmed legs. 
When I first started to use it, I noticed it was a little wobbly so I added cross braces in the back and eventually to the sides.  Now, it's stiff as can be and has been serving me well.  All for about $150 total investment and an afternoon working away on it.  Cutting the stainless with a jigsaw was a bit of a challenge - I went slow and used oil but still burned up about 4 blades.  The grinding wheel and flap wheel worked nicely to make the hole round and smooth the edges.  
I use 3 door stop wedges (those rubber things that hold doors open) when moving it so the BGE doesn't bounce against the edge of the hole and get damaged.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Welcome! Looks like you're in good shape now. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    That's awesome 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Welcome, and congrats. My medium is my favorite egg. I love those tables. I have two of them. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks great and very functional.
    Getting a length of smaller diameter high temp hose makes a great trim piece for the hole in the table. Just carefully slice it length wise down the seam and press it onto the cut edge. Not ideal with the flat spot but still might dress it up and give good bumper protection. Car door trim/edge molding might also work.  
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Getting a length of smaller diameter high temp hose makes a great trim piece for the hole in the table. Just carefully slice it length wise down the seam and press it onto the cut edge. Not ideal with the flat spot but still might dress it up and give good bumper protection. Car door trim/edge molding might also work.  
    Doing a 72 inch restaurant resale table as we speak for the new large I just got. Grainger sells the perfect stuff for this. Check flexible channel molding in their catalog.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • datsuyama
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it has been an adventure and man, I LOVE this BGE!  Now I understand what all the buzz is about! 
    Thr bumper idea sounds great, I’m going to look into that! 
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Doing a 72 inch restaurant resale table as we speak for the new large I just got. Grainger sells the perfect stuff for this. Check flexible channel molding in their catalog.

Will that take the heat?