Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice - doing chicken breasts then steak

Options
I’m going to do some chicken breasts on the egg direct around 400 degrees then when I’m done I was going to get it super hot to grill a steak.. I’ve read about 650 is great. Do I just take off the top daisy and open it wide open to get it hotter after breasts and then do they steak. I haven’t done a steak on the egg yet, so any advice is great. My wife isn’t into steak, so that’s why I’m doing some chicken breasts first. 
Edwardsville, IL (Near St. Louis, MO)
Large Big Green Egg & Weber Genesis II 

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Sounds like a solid plan. It won't take long to get to temp after the chicken. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    If doing a steak in the traditional fashion, then yes, open up the vents and let it get hot ( lots of people like to do this at a minimum of 600) before searing the steak nicely on both sides. Then, either put the Plate Setter in or put the steak on the periphery of the grill to bring it up to your desired internal temp. Happy eating. 

P.S.: If you nail it, maybe you’ll make a steak-eater out of your wife after all.  ;)
  • Shawnodell83
    Options
    I read a couple minutes per side, then close it down for about 4 minutes or so to bring to desired temp 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I don't close mine down. When they get to temp I take them off.  They will be great!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,065
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I’m going to do some chicken breasts on the egg direct around 400 degrees then when I’m done I was going to get it super hot to grill a steak.. I’ve read about 650 is great. Do I just take off the top daisy and open it wide open to get it hotter after breasts and then do they steak. I haven’t done a steak on the egg yet, so any advice is great. My wife isn’t into steak, so that’s why I’m doing some chicken breasts first. 
    You have a few options, enclosed are my favourite methods for your situation over time. Number two or three are how I tackle this type of cook most often, I don’t do the first anymore since I have a second egg and can have different temps for different proteins easier than waiting for a hot large egg to cool down 

1) sear the steak first, then cool down the egg by reducing airflow to your low and slow setting.  After 15 min add your platesetter and cook your chicken indirect and then add the steak for 3min per side to finish medium rare. i like this because you can do the steak earlier and let it rest for 10 min while the chicken finishes or any combination of resting time between the two

2) reverse sear.  Cook the steak and chicken at 275, remove steaks at 114 and cover in lose foil. When the chicken is done remove the platesetter and open the airflow, once your around 600 sear the steaks

3) get a CGS woo, KAB and divider along with some half grids and stones. You can have an indirect side and a direct cast iron half moon right over the coals.  This allows you to indirect cook the steaks and chicken breasts and then get a great sear before letting everything rest. Pics of my setup doing thus below 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    How thick is the steak?  

I would prolly cook breast at 375.400 & then fire up for a hot n fast for the steak unless the steak is thick enough that it could handle a forward sear.  Then I would  sear steak and let the egg come down to 350-400 and cook chicken and finish steak being careful because the steak will go quick. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Shawnodell83
    Options
    Haven’t bought the steak yet actually, going to grab it Saturday before I cook it on Sunday. Was thinking olive oil, salt, pepper? I’m up for any recommendations 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Skip the olive oil.  It will burn during the sear and is really not needed IMHO.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    How thick is the steak?  

I would prolly cook breast at 375.400 & then fire up for a hot n fast for the steak unless the steak is thick enough that it could handle a forward sear.  Then I would  sear steak and let the egg come down to 350-400 and cook chicken and finish steak being careful because the steak will go quick. 
    I hear 1/2” thickness is where it’s at!  ;)
  • unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,065
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Haven’t bought the steak yet actually, going to grab it Saturday before I cook it on Sunday. Was thinking olive oil, salt, pepper? I’m up for any recommendations 
    I’d salt overnight, and leave uncovered in the fridge. An hour before the cook remove and add pepper and garlic powder 

S&P video lol https://www.tumblr.com/video/loafed-beans/173113436054/700/
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    How thick is the steak?  

No no no, cook the breast at 375.800F, not 375.400F.  
    Options
    How thick is the steak?  

No no no, cook the breast at 375.800F, not 375.400F.  
    Clearly 375.400 is grate temp and 375.800 is dome.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Basic info here, but the biggest helpers for me with chicken and steak were these:

chicken breasts:  cut in three equal sized tenderloins.  Marinate in Italian dressing and a teaspoon of Slap Ya Mama seasoning for about 30-60 minutes.  Grill direct at 400-ish.  Pull when the internal temp is 152-ish.  Rest for a few minutes.  The temp will creep up a little afterwards, but won’t blow past 160.  Dry, over cooked  chicken breasts are awful.  

If you use thighs (which I recommend) prepare with the same marinade and seasoning.  You can bring thighs up to 170-180’and it’s still juicy. 

Steaks were my kryptonite for a long time.  I just couldn’t nail a direct cook at high temps.  So, I started buying thicker sirloins and doing a reverse sear.  Start by taking a steak out of the fridge a good 30-45 min before you grill it.  Never cook a cold steak.  Cook indirect at about 350-375, until the IT is about 10-15 degrees below your target temp.  I typically pull it at 115-ish.  Then, pull the platesetter/ceramic offset and blast it up to a high temp.  Anything 550 and up and you’re set.  Sear each side for a minute or two and check internal temp.  130 is medium rare/medium.  The best part is that the pink is uniform throughout versus a pink center and gradual brown towards the edges.  I think it makes for a better consistency, I think.  Takes longer, but easier to control. 

To do this, I’d cook the steak indirect, remove platesetter, then cook the chicken direct.  The steak can rest during that 10-15 minute period.  Then, open up the grates and get it ripping hot.  Sear the steak, and serve the chicken and steak at the same time.  Or you could cook chicken highs and steaks indirect simultaneously.  Thighs cooked direct can drip quite a bit of fat, causing flare ups.  

Hope that helps! 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    This kind of quandary is best answered with another egg. One for the chicken and one for the steak. As you can see from the above responses, no best way to get the result you want, just different ways. 

For a high heat sear, everything other than a mineral, salt, will burn. If you want herbs and pepper, chop up your basting herb brush as a a board sauce. You willl get a crust much sooner if you dry the surface before it hits the grill. And if you are into multiple flips, use a herb brush to spread some seasoned butter or ghee on the side that just came away from the heat. On the grid, flip, baste, flip baste etc... Will build an excellent crust. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!