Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt in Oven overnight or Not

Options
Kinger
Kinger Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked a pork butt for nearly 20 hours and it ended up finishing up too late for dinner. I want to leave it in the oven on Warm and then pull it in the morning to take to the Titans Colts game. It never tastes the same to me when it is reheated. Is it dangerous for me to leave it that long in terms of Bacteria? By the way it came out insanely tender and juicy. Wish I had used my dizzy pig coarse grind but felt obligated to try out some Gates rub that someone gave me. I did peel off a bit to taste and it is still very good.

JNK

Comments

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    JNK,[p]you could wrap it several times in foil..and then in towels..and put in a cooler that you have pre-heated with hot water..then in the morning you could put the foil wrapped pork in the oven and bring the temp back up and then put back in cooler and take it with you..[p]I have a small cooler and I have put a pork butt in it and 6 hours later it was still too hot to handle by bare hands..[p]But you might wait to see what others say....
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    icemncmth,
    Never thought about preheating cooler with hot water. I usually throw towels in dryer a couple of time.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    JNK,[p]Food service regulations say that cooked food has to be held above 135. I'm not sure how long it can stay in that range. Food can't be held below 135 and above 40 for longer than 4 hours.[p]gdenby