Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I've joined the club - Costco that is.

Options
I finally did it yesterday. I joined Costco. I also learned to stay away from that place on Saturdays. all of those little old ladies serving up sample bites of food sucked on the vultures. Quite a feeding frenzy  and people were acting like it was a Black Friday event.

From now on I'll be going during the middle of the week when hopefully things will be a little more sane.

All that to ask is there something I should be on the look out for when it comes to meats?  I'm really on interested in the meat after reading all the good comments here about it. So I'm looking for any meat buying tips.

Thanks.
Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I have had a lot of luck with their meats- the only thing I don’t buy there is ground beef. I assume it’s pretty lean as ever burger I have made with it is on the drier side. 

Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    They just have some amazing USDA Prime beef for sale.  I don’t think you can go wrong with any of that.  And then look for the ribeye caps.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Congrats. 

Two things you you should know:
    i) They are FANTASTIC on returns. No receipt needed. While part of me felt guilty doing it, I recently returned an expensive humidifier that started to display issues one year in. Was almost year two before I pulled the trigger on the return. 100% refund within seconds; no questions asked. 
    ii) Many stores open before their posted opening hours. The store closest to me often opens a full hour before the posted hours. There is no guarantee that they will open early, but it’s almost always the case that they do. Very few shoppers at that time, as others don’t know or aren’t willing to risk showing up early to have to wait, in the event they don’t open early. 

I will probably soon think of other great aspects to highlight. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Yep the prime beef is what is hard to find elsewhere and often great deals. Today I picked up more prime New York strip steaks for $9.99 lb. 
    Dont pass on the choice either if you need to stretch the dollar further, I get choice tenderloin fillets routinely and is great. Chicken parts may not be the absolute lowest prices you can find but the packaging is convenient. I buy just about all my meat there. Kirkland branded products are very good you will not be disappointed. I buy the K brand bacon and coffee. Prime packer briskets for $3 a pound is hard to beat too. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Depending on your location, the beer and liquor options are great. While in Hawaii, I bought Lagavulin 16 for half of what I would pay at home. Also bought a Kirkland brand 20 year old scotch for $50 USD. 
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    I agree with @Wolfpack I don't but the ground beef or chicken (we like air chilled) but everything else is great! I love there lamb, both ribs and whole lamb for summer pick-nicks. I work from home and go every Wednesday as soon as they open to avoid the weekend and sample pigs, so annoying. 
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Let’s see if I can just list consistent favorites other than meat and what I’ll call normal branded items that I keep on hand

Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar-2 lb block—3.50 lb—the best cheddar for the price 
    Cheese Department in General—excellent 
    Kirkland tortilla chips
    Seafood in general 
    Kirkland chicken—any type, whole, thigh, etc. non organic, no pump, decent prices
    Artichoke Dip—tub—pretty good stuff
    Kirkland Brats-all natural, No Msg.
    Muffalata Spread—In a jar.—2 pack

About the only thing I don’t care for I have tried is their Jalapeño dip-tub and their Kirkland brand peanuts in a can. They are good, large, crunchy. Just too salty for me. 

Items are not necessarily cheaper than other stores. However the quality is usually better for the price. Example, canned black beans are cheaper at grocery, but not much. Costco are all natural.

enjoy the new adventure.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I like it all except the chicken breasts

the shrimp cocktail trays are the balls and way cheaper then grocery store 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Try their bacon- top pick by consumer reports for good reason. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    We were members of price club many years ago and then they merged with Costco. Their meats have always been tops. 

• KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Options
    Take and bake 4-5lb pot pies, Kirkland granola bars for snacks, TP, trash bags, and iTunes gift cards are my go-to; besides meat, dairy, and bulk can goods.  
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Not all Costco's carry the same thing. If there are 2 near you be sure to check them both.

I have 1 that is 2 miles from me and one that is 7. The farther one has a better meat selection! Prime beef bone in ribs and almost twice the amount and choice's of prime beef to chose from.

Strange they are so close and carry different things.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • KennyCJR
    Options
    Matt86m said:
    Not all Costco's carry the same thing. If there are 2 near you be sure to check them both.

I have 1 that is 2 miles from me and one that is 7. The farther one has a better meat selection! Prime beef bone in ribs and almost twice the amount and choice's of prime beef to chose from.

Strange they are so close and carry different things.
    Strange they’re so close, actually, IMO. 
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Meat-wise, we typically buy whole sub-primals and cut into individual steaks. Pork belly is great, as are St. Louis style ribs. Chicken is a bit expensive for relative to other stores, but maybe it isn’t elsewhere. 

Try the pimento cheese dip...addicting. And the pecorino Romano block - excellent on any pasta dish. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Since I turned 40 this year, it’s now appropriate for me to admit that I buy a good deal of clothing from Costco.  Socks, underwear, weatherproof fleece lined pants, dress shirts.  No joke.  I dig it. 

I also dig the pot pies (cooked on the Egg they are dynamite).  The multi packs of chicken wings are decent.  Prime briskets, and beef in general there is better than Sam’s.  

Dont overlook Kirkland brand anything.  Supposedly their vodka is on par with Grey Goose.  Kirkland scotch and bourbon is tasty as well. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I also check out the choice steaks and will grab a pack whenever I see one that looks like it should be prime, which is probably every third trip for me. By the same token, sometimes the marbling on the prime steaks don't seem to justify the higher cost. They sell a pepper jelly that goes great with cream cheese on crackers and my best ribs also include some pepper jelly spread on during the foil stage.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I let my Costco membership expire some years ago, as I have access to the Air Force Commissary, but some of the prices mentioned above, I may have to revisit (my card is expired but they don't check the date, coming in).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• NorthPilot06
    Options
    Their steaks are blade tenderized, so I’d shy away from buying them...but just my 0.02. It’s worth the effort to trim and slice a loin/rib roast to get meat that isn’t blade tenderized (and cheaper, at that). 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • KennyCJR
    Options
    Ziplock bags and trash bags.  
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    Lots of comments on the pot pie.... I'm a huge fan of a turkey pie. I'm looking for this next time, again, learn something new every time here! BTW, you can get some cool locale items, I bought 17 photos from this local photographer at a huge discount, here is a sample:

kind of a modern day Vivian Maier...... Thanks for looking!
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Everything they sell has a great return policy, buy mine st of our meat there, Kirkland brand is great. The only food item I do not like is their organic lemonade, it sucks.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Forgot to mention, joining Costco is like buying a BGE, you will roll home with a few hundred dollars worth of stuff you never knew you couldn't live without !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Thanks. I don't intend to buy lots of other types of goods there. But those are probably just my "famous last words".

I will be hoping to pick up a good electric or pellet smoker next spring. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    All of the above plus wild caught salmon and halibut.

Their applewood bacon is incredible. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    They have a very good spice section and oils
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    edited December 2018
    Options

Made for a fantastic Christmas dinner!!!
    I also love their pork loin roasts - usu. around $20.  And I've gotten steelhead trout (salmon), bone-in pork shoulders and BLSL chicken packs there - always end up great.

And who can't help but love the extra wide aluminum foil, the full & half sheet aluminum pans and service industry level plastic wrap!
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Try their bacon- top pick by consumer reports for good reason. 
    I really like their bacon. 
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    I joined Costco to buy a kamado joe.    Just kidding.  But in all seriousness I like their white Kirkland T-shirt’s that are a little longer than normal, so they don’t untuck when you tuck them in.