Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new to BIG GREEN EGG

Options
I have a random question.  on a normal grill there is a grease catch or something for fat and grease runoff.  how do you deal with that in the green egg

Comments

• Terryparker2
    Options
    I am using my egg for the first time tomorrow night 
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited December 2018
    Options
    If using the plate setter I put a foil pan there(indirect) . If direct it goes into the fire and burns off
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Don’t forget spacers under the foil pan on the plate setter to keep from scorching.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Welcome the forums!  :)

When using the plate setter, or what BGE calls the “convEGGtor” , cheap foil pans or reusable pans like the ones the Ceramic Grill Store sell (linked below) work well.  CGS has all of the accessories you never knew you needed.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/search?type=product&q=Drip
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • Dmb3739
    Options
    Welcome to the site! You are going to love the egg.  
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Welcome aboard!  
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Welcome. Prepare to open your wallet.

;) 
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    Welcome to the madness!!! 
    O-Town, FL

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Welcome and look forward to your posts
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    The least expensive aspect of owning a BGE is the initial purchase. The cost increases significantly once it arrives at your home.

This is where the real money is spent:
    ARs, Woo, extenders, grates, KAB, foil, foil pans, lump, temp controllers, freezer for your food, food savers, storage bags, bigger freezer because the one you bought was too small, even bigger freezer, because the second one you chose was too small, knives, slicers, bullshid accesories you will never use, grill cleaners, smoke wood, thermometers, instant read thermometers, heat resistant gloves, latex gloves, rubs, spices, sauces, grilling utensils, higher grade grilling utinsils, 2nd BGE, third BGE, patio modification to now hold 3 BGEs, tables for BGEs, fire lighting material, storage pods for all this shet, landscaping, lighting, new patio furniture, upping your alcohol consumption, wine fridge, bourbon, Bloody Marys, kitchen remodel to hold all your BGE stuff, sound system, cast Iron skillets, dutch ovens, floor mats for your patio, burn ointment, rags, high end coolers low end coolers, mixers, bread pans, SRF, group therapy (also known as Butt Blast, Brisket Camp, Wing Ding, etc.)  All the stuff that goes on at all of those, Data overage costs...and 1000s more I may have forgotten.....
    Anyone that tells you this has not happened to them is lying.
    Just know, it is worth it.
    Welcome to the machine.
    All that and no mention of bourbon slushy expense?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    The least expensive aspect of owning a BGE is the initial purchase. The cost increases significantly once it arrives at your home.

This is where the real money is spent:
    ARs, Woo, extenders, grates, KAB, foil, foil pans, lump, temp controllers, freezer for your food, food savers, storage bags, bigger freezer because the one you bought was too small, even bigger freezer, because the second one you chose was too small, knives, slicers, bullshid accesories you will never use, grill cleaners, smoke wood, thermometers, instant read thermometers, heat resistant gloves, latex gloves, rubs, spices, sauces, grilling utensils, higher grade grilling utinsils, 2nd BGE, third BGE, patio modification to now hold 3 BGEs, tables for BGEs, fire lighting material, storage pods for all this shet, landscaping, lighting, new patio furniture, upping your alcohol consumption, wine fridge, bourbon, Bloody Marys, kitchen remodel to hold all your BGE stuff, sound system, cast Iron skillets, dutch ovens, floor mats for your patio, burn ointment, rags, high end coolers low end coolers, mixers, bread pans, SRF, group therapy (also known as Butt Blast, Brisket Camp, Wing Ding, etc.)  All the stuff that goes on at all of those, Data overage costs...and 1000s more I may have forgotten.....
    Anyone that tells you this has not happened to them is lying.
    Just know, it is worth it.
    Welcome to the machine.
    All that and no mention of bourbon slushy expense?
    Oh yeah, that...too.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    Speaking of bourbon, has anyone improvised vodka? I get a nasty hangover from brown liquor, as much as I drink that could be a problem...
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Use nthe ceramic grill store drip pans with ceramic inserts from them or amazon to keep pan above the placesetter or whatever if you use the cgs stuff instead of plasetter when doing indirect and for direct it burns off
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    First, find the best butcher within an hour from you. Make that butcher your friend. Take him food from the egg when you go to buy meat. Do this.

Second, read what @YukonRon said. Read it again. Take a deep breath and read it again.

For low and slow cooks, just use something elevated above whatever deflector you have (platesetter, pizza stone, whatever) I use a "snake" or rope of aluminum foil between a platesetter and cheap Dollar Store pans that get tossed out once nasty. 

For direct cooks, its like a Weber. The fat drips onto the coals and adds to the flavor profile.

Welcome to the forum, the party, and the sh!tshow. You are going to love this. 
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Welcome to BGE and good luck!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    BTW- here's a link to lots of ceramic cooking information.  Chances are the answer is in there somewhere:

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Welcome.
    When you have some free time check out this site.
    You will not find a better step by step for ceramic cooking.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/infocentral.htm
    Don't let the name of the site fool you. It's legitimate!

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Markarm4119
    Options
    Welcome to the madness ! Your bank account will never be the same!
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Welcome! Have fun with it and don't get discouraged by failure. Read, read and read some more. There is a ton of helpful information here and on other sites. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA