Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Struggling with temps for BBQ ribs

Options
Newbie here. My XL keeps jumping from 210 to 275, which in turn makes me constantly adjust the vents. Any advice? What range should I be looking for? When do I start closing down the vents.

Cooking the ribs now. About an hour in. Thanks

Comments

• milesvdustin
    Options
    I usually run 300 and leave them alone until they bend test or toothpick test. No wrapping. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Get them set for fairly low and then just open them up a few millimeters more and wait 30 minutes for the temp to rise and settle in.  It’s much easier to increase the temp on an Egg than it is to drop it once it gets too high.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Not disputing your struggle, but I’ve never found the temps on my large jump around once the lump has ignited sufficiently and it’s had time to settle. 

For me, the smoking sweet spot is around 275 or so. 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I can’t keep my XL below 250 without the Flameboss running.  My old large was easy to stabilize at 250.  My XL loves 300 without a controller and bottom vent barely open.
  • Alpharetta_EggHead
    Options
    I usually run 300 and leave them alone until they bend test or toothpick test. No wrapping. 
    OK that gives me a lot of confidence. Do you monitor temps with a grill probe or the BGE dome thermometer? Grill grate is at 250, while Dome is at 300
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Stop chasing.  That’s the biggest mistake new folks make.  Set it for 250-275 and leave it alone.  It’s going to move every time you open the dome, but unless you get some restrictions in air flow, it’ll go back given time.  +|- 25* is nothing to worry about on a long cook. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1 on 270-300 being fine. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I cook ribs at 275 now. As others have stated, a 25 deg temp swing is not a cause for concern.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    As above with don't chase-most BGE's have a sweet spot in the 240-270*F range.  Wherever it settles, ride with it.  And regarding what temperature to use I am a big fan of one only and on a calibrated instrument. Learn how your rig runs with whatever instrument.   I go with the dome as all BGE's have one.  Conventional wisdom is that if a cook temp is mentioned here it is dome unless otherwise stated.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    OK that gives me a lot of confidence. Do you monitor temps with a grill probe or the BGE dome thermometer? Grill grate is at 250, while Dome is at 300
    I dont monitor anything, I just glance out at the dome thermo every so often. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I went outside and took a couple of vent pics for an XL. 

Let’s first make some clarifications: 
    You have the XL loaded with medium sized chunks (not a bunch of marble sized pieces) 
    Your firebox is properly aligned with the base 
    Your thermometer has been calibrated using boiling water. 
    Your dome is properly seated to the base and you’re not leaking air. 

This is what your bottom vent should look like on the XL when running less than 300F. Maybe one credit card thickness more if you are close to 300F. This is my setup to run 235-300F. 

The top positioned like this should keep the egg in the 250F range +/- 10 degrees. 

Opening the pedals a litttle more will put you in the 270F range. 

This should get you pretty close to where you want to be. All eggs cook a little different. The main point to take away from this is that minor adjustments will make a big difference if you give it a minute. Making “bold moves” to try to control temp is not wise given where you’re at in the learning curve. Remember that all ovens fluctuate (cycle) heat/temp. Close enough is plenty good for most egging. Try to follow your eggs lead and let it settle in where it wants to. Mine Cadillacs all day long at 235F. 
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Options

You have the XL loaded with medium sized chunks (not a bunch of marble sized pieces) 

This is what your bottom vent should look like on the XL when running less than 300F. Maybe one credit card thickness more if you are close to 300F. This is my setup to run 235-300F

Nice info and pics. Thank you. 
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • skitter_pop
    Options
    I like 275 for 4 hrs or until they pass the bend test.  But ya same as everybody else adjust very small amounts and give it plenty of time to settle. And easier to raise temp than to lower.  Once you've been Egging a few years, you could do like me and buy a DigiQ or something similar for low and slows.   Set it and forget it.   Mostly use it for long boston butt type cooks, but have gotten lazy and use it on ribs too sometimes.  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

Off topic I guess, but what's wrong with your DFMT? Is that what southern living does? Mine is 9+ years old and looks like this...Never oiled or treated in any way.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BGEChicago
    Options

This is what your bottom vent should look like on the XL when running less than 300F. Maybe one credit card thickness more if you are close to 300F. This is my setup to run 235-300F. 

The top positioned like this should keep the egg in the 250F range +/- 10 degrees. 

Opening the pedals a litttle more will put you in the 270F range. 

This should get you pretty close to where you want to be. All eggs cook a little different. The main point to take away from this is that minor adjustments will make a big difference if you give it a minute. Making “bold moves” to try to control temp is not wise given where you’re at in the learning curve. Remember that all ovens fluctuate (cycle) heat/temp. Close enough is plenty good for most egging. Try to follow your eggs lead and let it settle in where it wants to. Mine Cadillacs all day long at 235F. 
    I guess everyone's different, the only time my bottom vent isn't wide open is when I'm using the FB. I have to old style daisy wheel, never had an issue obtaining the temp I wanted.... 
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Yours has some kinda funky device setting on top of it.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Carolina Q - I have never seen a Tel-Tru that would sit on the DFMT like that- new version??
    BTW- no way I am buying your disclaimer on your DFMT unless just ultra-sound cleaned for that pic ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Carolina Q - I have never seen a Tel-Tru that would sit on the DFMT like that- new version??
    BTW- no way I am buying your disclaimer on your DFMT unless just ultra-sound cleaned for that pic ;)
    When you only egg on bright sunny warm days in the NE, it’s easy to Kip it looking posh. 
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Options
    250f with the new rEGGulator cap.

Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @KennyCJR Here's something to consider:  I always rotate the dome thermo such that the target temp is at 12 o'clock.  That way a casual glance lets me know how the cook is tending.  FWIW-
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @KennyCJR Here's something to consider:  I always rotate the dome thermo such that the target temp is at 12 o'clock.  That way a casual glance lets me know how the cook is tending.  FWIW-
    Take the worthless clip off first or you might recalibrating your thermometer after a future failed cook. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I can stabilize my XL at 225 with the Flameboss. The key is to place the wood chunks on the bottom, set the stone or platesetter on within a few minutes of lighting the lump. Then let the FB slowly bring the XL up to 225. 
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Grate and dome temp will not match. I chased this too and then stopped using the probe at the grate. 

Just go with the dome temp.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • DoubleEgger
    Options

Off topic I guess, but what's wrong with your DFMT? Is that what southern living does? Mine is 9+ years old and looks like this...Never oiled or treated in any way.

Your nine year old cap has probably only seen a dozen cooks so.... 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I find the XL easier to achieve low temps personally. I just assume the extra mass gives you a little grace as you are sneaking up on your target. Take it fwiw. 
  • dinkinflicka
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    ...Conventional wisdom is that if a cook temp is mentioned here it is dome unless otherwise stated.  FWIW-
    I don’t know why but I assumed just the opposite. Good to know! 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I never cook below 275 on my XL  both for indirect or direct  And sometime over 300
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston