Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

STL RIBS

Put a couple of racks and the trimmings on the large with the AR R&B combo. I used the spider and round stone in lieu of the oval stone though. Options are nice. Butchered up two spare slabs and rubbed with Hot Rub by Malcolm Reed and Dirty Bird by Kosmo Q. No binder and heavy handed on the Hickory chunks. Plan is for comp style with a wrap @2.5 - 3 hours in. We shall see how she goes. My ADHD could cause an audible. More to come. 

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Wrapped and back on. Used brown sugar, fake butter, rib glaze, honey and a shake of the rubs. Hope they get along well together. Time will tell. 
  • Those look awesome. I never wrap, so am very interested in learning how they turn out and how you think they compare to “no lookin cookin”. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    What a coincidence! I set some Baby Backs on around 12:00. 
  • pgprescott
    @HendersonTRKing

i regularly cook lazy mans ribs without any wrap. The egg lends itself to this easy method due to the extra moist cooking environment. I only wrap Stl cut with any regularity. I think the stl (spares) lend themselves to a wrap due to their higher interdispersed fat content. The wrap and lower cooking temps really help in the proper rendering of the fat. 

Also, different cookers are helped by wrapping as they are almost always a drier environment. In other coolers I will be much more likely to wrap or spritz or even both. 

I plan to check the wrap at 1 hour as opposed to 2 hours. I bet they are ready to sauce or dry up a bit out of the foil by then. 195 is a target temp that I use to get me in the ballpark but it’s really the toothpick test or feel. Keep in mind that lick any BBQ, there will be variances throughout the tack. You have to take the preponderance of the results

wish me luck.  
  • pgprescott
    dstearn said:
    What a coincidence! I set some Baby Backs on around 12:00. 
    Awesome! I know you and your ribs are likely a better product than my measly Kroger stuff. Enjoy! 
  • pgprescott
    Well, went about 45-50 min in the bath and removed. TBH, not sure they needed any sauce but I slathered a small amount and let the sauce heat up. Some of the best I’ve done. I just love the added love from the fatty spares. Mmm, pork fat! Couple shiners on the one rack would be a no no at competition but they are fine for me. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    Great racks right there.  sounds like you nailed it and with the foil.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    lousubcap said:
    Great racks right there.  sounds like you nailed it and with the foil.  Congrats.
    @YukonRon I love ribs. I often do  babybacks just bones down and @ 4 hours 250-275 but felt like a little extra work today. It paid off. Thanks again!
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I picked up a rack of St Louis ribs from Aldi's recently and due to the weather, did it in the Breville Smart Oven.  Used McCormick's Caribbean Jerk (really getting to like that rub!) and Sweet Baby Ray's.  Best ribs I've had in a long time~~  
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I picked up a rack of St Louis ribs from Aldi's recently and due to the weather, did it in the Breville Smart Oven.  Used McCormick's Caribbean Jerk (really getting to like that rub!) and Sweet Baby Ray's.  Best ribs I've had in a long time~~  
  • pgprescott
    Rascal said:
    I love the flavor profile of jerk. Never thought of doing ribs that way. Interesting idea for sure. Cool beans!