Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Mountain Biking

Comments

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited December 2018
    Central Texas is getting a new mountain bike park off Lake Buchanan opening up in January. Will have chairlifts even. Can't wait to check that one out. 
    Gittin' there...
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Central Texas is getting a new mountain bike park off Lake Buchanan opening up in January. Will have chairlift even. Can't wait to check that one out. 
    That’s awesome, we need more bike parks all around the country.  Such a healthy sport for both kids and adults.  Please report back with more details and pics!
  • Cornholio said:
    Good for you, Ron!  The great thing about cycling is that it is low impact so a lot of people with injuries from other sports turn to riding to keep them going outdoors.
    LOL!  -on the "low impact."
    Gittin' there...
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited December 2018
    I tried downhill mountain biking over the summer in Vail... I thought to myself I know how to ride a bike how hard can it be... I did a single track blue down Vail and legitimately thought I was going to kill myself... crazy fun, but need some practice 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3999652/jem-trail

1st ride of 2019, pretty chill but not doing much since November is taking its toll.  
  • Cornholio
    edited January 2019
    U_tarded said:

1st ride of 2019, pretty chill but not doing much since November is taking its toll.  
    Wow, I’m jealous.  I still haven’t made it to Utah but it’s on my list.  Most my riding buddies go to the St. George/Hurricane area at least once a year but I’ve always had conflicts.

No riding for me yet this year, rain turns our local trails into peanut butter mud and we’ve actually been getting rain but unfortunately it’s been hitting on weekends.

Besides horrible winds and raging wildfires this is about as crazy as the weather gets here.

Out the front door right now:

• U_tarded
    Cornholio said:
    U_tarded said:

Wow, I’m jealous.  I still haven’t made it to Utah but it’s on my list.  Most my riding buddies go to the St. George/Hurricane area at least once a year but I’ve always had conflicts.

No riding for me yet this year, rain turns our local trails into peanut butter mud and we’ve actually been getting rain but unfortunately it’s been hitting on weekends.

Besides horrible winds and raging wildfires this is about as crazy as the weather gets here.

Out the front door right now:

Yes I’m very fortunate to live where I do.  This is the best part of the year, no crowds, no heat, pretty nice.  
  • Cornholio
    The hills are green again near us after a bad fire in 2017, good day for a ride!

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    edited January 2019
    Central Texas is getting a new mountain bike park off Lake Buchanan opening up in January. Will have chairlifts even. Can't wait to check that one out. 
    @FearlessTheEggNoob

I have it as a to do this spring- before the heat gets awful

$50 a day to ride out there seems a bit steep for 350' of elevation drop.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • @Cornholio Are those Nobby Nics on  your wheels?
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Your threads make me wish for younger days. Built one of these in full XTR back in the day. 23.4lb with pedals.
    You have my dream bike.  The bike shop near my house has one that’s never been out and they won’t sell it.   I offered them stupid money and they turned it down, owner says it’s something he’ll never let go.   Makes me sad to see it unused 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Cornholio
    @Cornholio Are those Nobby Nics on  your wheels?
    They are Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5wt up front and Minion DHRII 2.4wt on the rear.  I used to occasionally run Nobby Nics but the Minions are better suited for more aggressive riding.  
  • xfire_ATX said:
    @FearlessTheEggNoob

I have it as a to do this spring- before the heat gets awful

$50 a day to ride out there seems a bit steep for 350' of elevation drop.
    $50? Bah! Chairlifts are for old people anyway. I'll ride down and up.
    Gittin' there...
  • Cornholio
    Just ordered my son his first pedal bike.  I wanted one that he could take on some trails and ended up with a cool belt drive 16” bike.  

• Cornholio
    Spring is here... Orange County, CA

• U_tarded

Rode Wire Mesa outside hurricane Utah today.  The weather has been crap for the last month so this was a great day.  
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    I use to ride mountain bikes, but decided to slow down a little bit. I switched to a gravel bike and have loved it. Perfect for commuting and long trail rides. Lots of rail to trail type stuff here in the midwest, love getting the miles in.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I have thoroughly enjoyed my gravel bike so far. I still ride the road bike - but I like the supple comfort of the gravel bike and the new routes it opens up for me. I rode it on my first charity ride of the year this weekend. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • xfire_ATX
    Im doing a Gravel Race next month  http://www.castellgrind.com/ but I'm doing on my SS Rigid

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • xfire_ATX
    Broke down and got a new SS last week after the one pictured above is basically worn out.  Need to pull the Hydros off the above, replace the grips and shes ready for the next 4K miles.

• tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    xfire_ATX said:
    Broke down and got a new SS last week after the one pictured above is basically worn out.  Need to pull the Hydros off the above, replace the grips and shes ready for the next 4K miles.

I solute you, I cannot comprehend how to approach an entire bike race on a single speed. Those are both beautiful bikes though.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • kersh13
    kersh13 Posts: 23

Large Egg circa '06 model.

Athens, GA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Image result for nola egghead bike

An appropriate name indeed.  :o

Gittin' there...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357

Occasionally, I'll walk around the hotel lobby in bike shorts when I'm traveling for work.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ryantt

2 of my buddies getting ready to send it. Man I wish I lived in Colorado with them. Check out his business Mountain Made Fittness.

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Resurrecting this thread. Just got a new maintenance stand delivered, first up is pulling the fox forx off and sending it to risse racing for a full rebuild. Then flush the hydraulic brakes, new chain, adjust shifting. Should be good to go then. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110

Picked this up a few weeks ago. Great for the really bad, old roads in Galveston.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ryantt
    edited July 2019

I still love to ride, it’s been awhile bc of back issues, but most of the spring-early winter you’ll find it’s on the trail. We are blessed enough to have 36 or so miles of towpath trail 2min from our house.

In the old days I wanted to be Hans no way Ray If you guys remember him! My friends and I use to ride over to the McKinley monument and ride down the steps, or see if we could clear the top flight....thinking about it now maybe that’s why some of us walk and move like we’re in our mid 90’s.

These are the steps we use to ride and try to jump down. Sometimes I wish we had GoPro cameras when I was young....then I remember all the stupid stuff we did, and am thankful not to have video of it all over the internet.