Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked BGE

I am looking to buy a used BGE with an external hairline crack.  Can the crack be repaired?  Should I buy this BGE?  All help is appreciated.
Got a GoFundMe acct my 1st BGE Large

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Responses inline:
    Hiker said:
    I am looking to buy a used BGE with an external hairline crack.  Can the crack be repaired?  - No.
    Should I buy this BGE? - No.
     All help is appreciated.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • A crack does not determine whether or not a purchase should be made, the price does. 
  • Don’t do it unless it’s free. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited December 2018
    If your seller is the original owner, they can Get the cracked part replaced for free under warranty. If they can’t or won’t, this egg is basically worthless. I would negotiate that or run. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    I don’t believe a crack can be fixed but I know people that have hairline cracks and the egg still works fine. I wouldn’t buy it because the crack could get worse as you transport it to your house. 
    McKinney, TX
  • Dont do it. No warranty 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• How much are they asking? accessories?  
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Any $ spent on fixing a cracked egg is throwing good money after bad.  Don’t do it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    More information needed.  Size, age, price, severity of crack (pictures), etc.  if the owner was original, and if it was registered and any other information you have.

It's like posting:

Used car, has a broken part, should I buy it?
    Unless you're going to scavenge the other parts for other eggs, then don't bother.

A crack in the base makes it worthless.  It will never hold a low/slow temp because of the air leak, nor will it ever extinguish.  It's going to crack further and it's a big fire hazard when it does.
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited December 2018
    Unless you're going to scavenge the other parts for other eggs, then don't bother.

A crack in the base makes it worthless.  It will never hold a low/slow temp because of the air leak, nor will it ever extinguish.  It's going to crack further and it's a big fire hazard when it does.

I agree that unless it's free, the OP should probably pass. In terms of what you can get for it or what anyone should pay for it, it is undoubtedly worthless.
    But I  (or my Egg) is living proof the the rest is not necessarily true.
    Last year about this time, I was given a LBGE...after years of wishing. I couldn't find anything wrong with it that couldn't be fixed but I was a complete novice and the Egg was dirty and in sad repair.
    After I had spent several hundreds of $$ replacing the fire bowl and cooking grids, I started cleaning it in preparation for re-gasketing.
    It was then I discovered a hair line crack in my base. I can see the crack (if I look very carefully) from both sides--inside the base and outside.
    Several people here suggested that it would still cook fine, so I gritted my teeth and spent an additional couple hundred and finished the 'restore.'
    Despite what @stlcharcoal said above, my LBGE does not leak air appreciably--it holds 240° for hours, and it will extinguish in several hours even after a pizza cook. So far...knock on wood...the crack has not gotten bigger and since I have a 'pit shack' with a paver floor I'm not too worried about it being a fire hazard.
    I wish there was a guaranteed safe fix for the crack...some sort of procedure involving refractory cement or something like that...but it works fine for now. And I'm not worrying about it cracking--it's done that already.

Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • Hiker
    Hiker Posts: 13
    $200 with some extras: pizza stone, grill extender, table, and cover.  2nd owner so no warranty.  The seller says it should be used for parts.  I will pass on it.  $200 caught my eye.  Thanks for the guidance. 
    Got a GoFundMe acct my 1st BGE Large
  • I bought a large for $150 with a cracked base. Dealer let me get a new base for $300 which he said was his cost, and I had a large with a warranted base for $450. It was a fine deal, and an excellent egg.