Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib Very Low & Slow

Options
SmokinTiger81
SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
edited December 2018 in EggHead Forum
So I read in cooks illustrated that best restaurants will cook standing rib for 18 hours at 120 degrees.  Something you can’t do in your home oven.   But sounds like perfect task for the egg with a pit controller.   So here goes.  Salted and going in fridge uncovered for about 15 hours (supposed to be 24 hours but I got a late start).  Then on egg tonight at 120 dome.   We will see how this goes.   Will reverse sear after cooked.   Will add more photos as things progress 

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    B) Waiting!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Want to see this....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    Options
    My neighbor cooks them this way. Usually fantastic! Looking forward to the results!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• RichH
    RichH Posts: 41
    Options
    This should be good.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Smokeware Chimney, Kick Ash basket, Rutland Gasket and BBQ Guru DigiQ

St. Petersburg, FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    That controller is gonna get a workout at that temp.  Enjoy the cook and follow-on eats.  Standing by the cross-section money shot. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I'm cooking one tonight too, albeit a bit hotter. Going to shoot for 250F dome.  I couldn't imagine getting any better results going lower than that personally.

Btw, if any of you have warming drawers in your kitchen that's the best place for extended low 120F-170F cooks. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Interesting. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    That's not much warmer that most bacterial lab incubators. I will continue to do mine at 225*.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Yno said:
    That's not much warmer that most bacterial lab incubators. I will continue to do mine at 225*.
    Salt helps with that. Bacteria doesn't penetrate beef unless you're feeling stabby. I can hold my LBGE at 180 so I do mine there, but I will be watching this.
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Here is one of the notes from Cooks Illustrated:  SUPER-CHEF APPROACH

ROAST AT 120°  Using a specialized ultra-low-temperature oven—and leaving the roast in it for 18 hours—produces rosy-pink, ultra-tender results.    (I would add, that sous vide cooking temps are down there too at 130 to 135 or so)

• SmokinTiger81
    Options
    I normally cook them around 250 on egg in prior years, and I have no idea if the long slower cook will make a diff or not.  Just read about ultra low temp method
    and thought perfect egg experiment to see.  
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    From their sous vide instructions--looks like the extra time is to break down connective tissue and give a super tender texture.  I do know that every cooksillustrated recipe I have ever used comes out great.  --Presearing the roast built flavor before it went into its low-temperature bath. After 16 to 24 hours at 133°F/56°C, the roast's connective tissue had broken down, producing a buttery texture. A flash under the broiler crisped up the fat cap to create a nice crust.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I dont think you can hold 120 on an egg even with a controller.  The fire will go out before the fan kicks in. It will smolder and probably blow ash all over your roast.  I think the lowest temp you could hold would be about 180. 

I also question if it would be safe to cook ar 120 (deg F) for an extended period. Most sous vide guides say if you are cooking over 4 hours then min temp is 130. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Thanks for comments.   The pit controller instructions say you do risk fire going out under 200 degrees.   So can’t do super low on the egg.  So much for my experiment
  • Cire69
    Cire69 Posts: 12
    Options
    I was able to hold 160 degrees in my large using SMOBOT for 10 hours to make jerky. Temp stayed within +-3 degrees of 160 except when I opened the egg...but even then it seemed to recover quickly.

I think the key is to not load it up with too much lump.  The bottom vent was open ~30% and SMOBOT kept the top vent open 30-40%.  I used less than a full KAB and still had 1/3 of the lump left after I shut it down.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I’ll eat it...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Sous vide, I could see cooking that low. You shouldn't but I have done 125 for long periods and no problem.
    I was going to say I doubt a blower could keep a fire going at that low temp. Electric sure, pellet maybe(?), but not a coal fired egg. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SmokinTiger81
    Options
    One on first and then second smaller one later as it will cook faster
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Oh, and ended up going with 190 cook temp on pit controller.  Seems to be holding that fine.  
  • BigGreenBean
    Options
    Bodacious.  I can't wait to see how they turn out.  Please post result, and good luck!
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • SmokinTiger81
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Temp is there.   Will do exterior crust in high oven 15 minutes before serving.   Will add some photo then
  • SmokinTiger81
    edited December 2018
    Options
    And done after oven sear
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    BOOM!

For the win.  Nice job.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Nice!!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Very nice Tiger man.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Thanks.  I seared the smaller one a little too long and got a little bit of gray band at top.  The big one was red edge to edge.  Served with whipped cream horseradish sauce.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I said Godda-n; Godda-n.  Great outcome right there.  What a banquet.
    Thanks for the documentation as well.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    That looks horrible.  

(Hoping the one I cook on the 25th turns out half that good)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX