Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib for the Family

Options
Ok.  I have a 6 bone prime rib coming from my local butcher on Monday for Xmas.  Need some advice. The normal people are getting it medium rare, but many of my family are fans of medium and, gag, well done.  

My thought is to break it into three, 2 bone sections, pulling each at 125, 135, and 145.  Then, FTC and drive them home (1 hour commute).  When I get back, either torch them with the Benzo or toss in the oven.  Thoughts?

Comments

• Spillin
    Options
    IMO Best be it cook to rare and then you can just dip the pieces that are too rare for you guests in a pot of hot Au jus and all that pinkness is gone.
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Break it into 2 portions.  Cook both to MR center (which will end up being M ends) and let the bozo's that want hockey pucks finish your beautiful dish in the microwave.  1 hr FTC is fine.  Merry Christmas.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited December 2018
    Options
    One of the nice things about rib roast is the spectrum of doneness it provides for the varying tastes of your guests. My experience is the center will be med rare then as it goes out it’ll get to medium and the end pieces are usually medium well usually covers what anyone would want 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf