Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear Issue

g8golfer
g8golfer Posts: 1,025
When I’m cooking meat on the egg I have been trying the reverse sear method but not having much success. If I’m shooting for a 130-135 IT I try and pull the meat at 120-125 IT and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before putting it back on the egg for a hot sear to try and get a nice crust on the outside. The issue I seem to be having is I under cook the meat. I don’t leave the meat on long enough for the sear at the end because I’m afraid of over cooking it. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and keep it on longer after I let it rest. Once I cut into the meat I usually have to put it back on the egg for a few more minutes. It really isn’t a big issue but I guess it’s more the presentation when people are watching me cook waiting on there food. 

Comments

• IT can increase anywhere from 5º-12º depending on mass of meat.

This is from a Prime Rib tutorial.
    Using the 220°-250°pit temps, and a smaller boneless roast, you can expect a 5° to 8° rise in the internal temperature stated below while the roast is resting on the cutting board.. A larger bone-in roast might rise 8° to 12°. All the temperatures reported below are when the roast is still in the cooker, so take into account the rise.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

Jim

Jim

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

XL
    MiniMax
    MHP Gasser
    Thermoworks Smoke & Thermapen
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    g8golfer said:
    ... The issue I seem to be having is I under cook the meat. I don’t leave the meat on long enough for the sear at the end because I’m afraid of over cooking it....
    I think you're mixing up "cooking" and "searing."  In a reverse sear, you do the cooking in the low-and-slow part of the cook, NOT the sear part.  The sear part is only to get a dark crust on the outside.  You don't want the sear part of the cook to cook the meat!  If you leave it on longer in the searing part, you'll just make a thicker layer of unpleasant gray overcooked meat around the outside of the meat.  You want the sear to be very hot and very brief, a minute or two per side.

If the meat isn't cooked enough for your taste in the inside, then you need more time in the low-and-slow part and let it reach a higher internal temp before you pull it out of the Egg in preparation for the second, sear part of the cook.  120°-125° usually works well for me for an internal temp, but the bottom line is what YOU like.  If the meat isn't done enough, then it needed to cook longer, and reach a higher internal temp, in the low-and-slow part of the cook, NOT the sear part.  You almost certainly do NOT want to leave the meat on longer while searing.

It's also worth noting that how much the temperature will rise depends on how hot the low-and-slow part was.  If you cooked it at 250° dome temp to a certain IT, the IT will rise a little less than it would have if you had cooked it at 350° dome temp to the same IT when you pulled it.
  • g8golfer
    @Theophan thanks. Makes better sense now. Still learning after 2 years egging. I think the biggest thing I was scared of was over cooking when I sear at the end. 
  • g8golfer
    I wanted to get the meat to 125 IT. Then rest and sear at 500-600 degrees but i didn’t want it to get away from me and go to a 140-145 IT after the sear. I’m always to cautious. 
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Nice post, @Theophan  

I’d rather slightly over hit my desired temp, than serve my guests something done to my liking, but not theirs.  
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    nailed it @Theophan.   I'd only add that you should sear with the dome open.   You're not trying to raise the internal temp anymore, just get the crust and take it off. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Many thanks for the kind comments!  I'm mostly just passing along what I've learned from others, here.  Lot of great information on this forum, and a bunch of people I've learned a lot from and keep learning from!
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Sometimes a low 'n slow direct will give you a nice dark crust by the end of it and you won't even have to sear. This is typically the case with TriTips and other larger cuts. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave