Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Rib Roast Advice

Options
2»

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I find the last 15-20* goes faster. Once you get to 100ish keep a close eye on it. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Don't use time by weight.  Thickness is what determines the time.  Once a rib roast gets to four ribs it doesn't get any thicker, just longer. A four rib and a seven rib will need the same time.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    so I just left costco and got one of their beef rib roast bone in standing rib usda choice, 10.10lbs

question: I will be taking this to my parent's house to cook. they used to have an akorn but now he has a pellet smoker/grill. so that is what I will be cooking it on

will there be much difference in cooking it? 250ish until 125ish internal? thinking it'll take 4 hours?
    Boom
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Options
    I don't think you want to truly smoke it. 

Roast, indirect, sure. But not rolling smoke the whole time

Not sure what the set up is with those
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    st¡ke said:
    I don't think you want to truly smoke it. 

Roast, indirect, sure. But not rolling smoke the whole time

Not sure what the set up is with those
    I don't think it'll be smoking. I believe with those they are always indirect but you can still "grill"

He cooks burgers and such on there. And those pellets put off very little smoke

I think, and I could be wrong, it would essentially be roasting indirect
    Boom
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I went with choice and it came out great.

Here is the link: Boneless Prime Rib Recipe.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    do y'all keep the bones attached while cooking or remove prior?
    Boom
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I remove the bones the day prior.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Any seasoning advice? Saw one post with olive oil, fresh garlic and parsley. Could also do kosher salt, fresh black pepper and a little bit of garlic powder. 
    Last year I did something similar but put it into a butter mix and coated the whole thing. Dr. BBQ posted a video that I followed and it turned out great

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,459
    Options
    I remove the bones and smoke separately for some great beef back ribs.  Try and get the now boneless roast as round as I can-fresh ground pepper, salt the day before and fresh rosemary.  Garlic is a game-time decision.  As noted, this is about the easiest cook there is if you run L&S to the finish.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • baldeagle7007
    Options
    Blassiter said:
    I would like to get some expert advice on this since there is the added pressure to knock this out of the park for Christmas dinner. I have ordered a 5.5 lb Rib Roast (Prime) from a local butcher shop. In reading a couple other posts, I am second guessing the decision to pay the extra $4\pound for Prime instead of going with Choice. Is Prime better for this or am I just paying the extra money to have more fat that no one is going to eat? Also, I was going to do a reverse sear after cooking at 250. Any idea how long I should expect this to cook? What should my target temp be prior to starting the sear?

Thanks for any advice on this.
    I did a 6lb Prime Rib Roast Bone-In Prime 1 from HEB yesterday.
    Indirect @ 220º to IT 115º.
    Seared both sides @ 600º for 1 minute each.
    Final IT was 129º Perfect Medium Rare.
    Total cook 3.5 hours

Jim
    Jim

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

XL
    MiniMax
    MHP Gasser
    Thermoworks Smoke & Thermapen
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I leave ribs tied to the roast while cooking to a temp of about 100 degrees. This allows the fat / fat cap to work its manic. When I remove....I cut them into indivials, and place them back on with the roast. The ribs and roast get circular heat, and brown until I pull at my desired temp of 125. Just my method. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I take the ribs off in one piece and season the roast all around. I then tie the back on and cook to 120. I then remove rack for the sear. I recommend Grill Grates as you will get a helluva flare up otherwise. 
  • st¡ke
    Options
    I leave ribs on, roast it, carve the ribs off, slice the roast for the guests, and eat the ribs 
  • Rogory
    Rogory Posts: 31
    Options
    I was thinking about adding potatoes and onions in the pan under my rib roast to cook in the drippings, has anyone else tried this? 
    1 Large and 1 Mini, In Greenville,SC
  • st¡ke
    Options
    Sure. Good idea

but i use the drippings for yorkshire pudding. Just don't let them burn

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    no issues with it sitting uncovered in fridge on a rack for 5 days, right?
    Boom
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I remove at 100....cut and put back on the grill. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I’m sure you’ve gotten more advice then you can digest but here are my two cents 

roast it around 300-325degrees until the center is about 120-125 then pull it no sear required 

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    To me searing a roast doesn’t add much the way it does to a steak 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    To me searing a roast doesn’t add much the way it does to a steak 
    This.  Sear a steak.  Roast a roast.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,448
    Options
    A big thanks for all of the advice given here. Seasoned my roast 24 hours prior and slapped it in the fridge....

Set up Egg to run at 250-275 indirect. Rib roast was 10.5#, I personally thought it would take almost 4.5 hours. It came off at 3.5 hours reading 135. I let it rest and seared it on my gas grill. It was absolutely delicious! Thanks again and Merry Christmas