Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advance Planning-National Bacon Day, Sunday Dec 30th

2»

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited December 2018
    Just refine the mallet strikes or double wrap the pepper corns.  Sweet look right there.  Enjoy the outcome. Edit: spelling fix. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Cured two 10 lb slabs of beef navel as a part of my bacon makin' efforts:

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Ready For Smoke

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    edited December 2018
    Guanciale ready to hang for a few weeks 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thanks for the heads up!
    Looks like I'll be making bacon. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • lousubcap
    Bump for planning purposes-gonna be a great day!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    Guanciale after 1 week about 19% loss

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    That’s my anniversary. 

Now i I can honestly tell my wife that it’s my favorite day of the year! :rofl: I jest. But seriously. 
    December 30 is also my anniversary. This year will be 25.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• I've got about 40 pounds of bacon out of cure tonight, smoke tomorrow, slice and package Thursday.  Just in time for Christmas presents.  Pics to follow.  Also have me some Canadian Bacon that I will be smoking tonight.
    Question regarding smoke woods.  I have done 4 batches of bacon with cherry wood only.  I have access to cherry, apple, and post oak right now.  Any suggestions on smoke wood?
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • lousubcap
    Weekly bump for now.  More frequent as the date closes in. 
  • lkapigian
    Guanciale 2 weeks drying ( 3 weeks total) water loss is moving forward but slowed 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Bacon brining currently 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • lousubcap
    Bump since we are clear of the Xmas holiday.  The countdown continues. 
  • lousubcap
    Bump as we are closing in-plan, purchase and execute Sunday. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    SWMBO and I have sceduled a last minute trip to visit my parents in Charleston, SC for New Years.  I will be relying on Restaurant bacon for this holiday.  Any recommendations for good bacon at a Charleston restaurant are appreciated. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • lkapigian
    edited February 2019
    Took a few months but love the Guanciale

From This

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Why percentage weight loss do you aim for @lkapigian?  That looks really good! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lkapigian
    Sea2Ski said:
    Why percentage weight loss do you aim for @lkapigian?  That looks really good! 
    Thank you @Sea2Ski 35% was my target . I don't have a curing chamber but the temp and humidity seemed OK so I just hung it in,my smokehouse outside...I cut into 1 cheek at the 25% mark I couldn't wait
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Yes, I like the 35% more than the 30% as well. I like the firmer texture.  Was that picture sliced at 25% or 35%? I am not clear if the picture was at your target or when patience lost out to immediate gratification. 

Also, I am very curious to know if there was any smokiness picked up from hanging in the smokehouse. I was thinking of charing a smaller bit full size hickory split and once fully out for a night, place it in my chamber to pick up some notes of smoke. I do not want to smoke the meat per say, but would like to see if I could catch the most subtle of undertones if possible. I thought it might be worth trying. Maybe.

Thoughts?  
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lkapigian
    edited February 2019
    Sea2Ski said:
    Yes, I like the 35% more than the 30% as well. I like the firmer texture.  Was that picture sliced at 25% or 35%? I am not clear if the picture was at your target or when patience lost out to immediate gratification. 

Also, I am very curious to know if there was any smokiness picked up from hanging in the smokehouse. I was thinking of charing a smaller bit full size hickory split and once fully out for a night, place it in my chamber to pick up some notes of smoke. I do not want to smoke the meat per say, but would like to see if I could catch the most subtle of undertones if possible. I thought it might be worth trying. Maybe.

Thoughts?  
    @Sea2Ski I was amazed at the smoke flavor it picked up without ever lighting the smokehouse ,  that was my early 25% mark 

I have 1 cheek past the 35% mark I will cut into later and post....this stuff was excellent
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian