Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saran Wrap Dispenser Recommendations?

I'm looking for a descent saran wrap dispenser that doesn't want to tip over or move when dispensing. My friend has one like the picture below. It works pretty slick for wrapping ribs but it still moves around. I'm thinking something a little more heavy. Anyone have one they could recommend? Thanks

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I have a couple of these mounted in my pantry for aluminum foil and butchers paper.  Would probably work for saran wrap.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bulman-a527-18-deluxe-18-gray-steel-all-in-one-counter-mount-freestanding-paper-dispenser-cutter-with-serrated-blade/43318PCDXSB.html
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Not a standalone dispenser, but a really cool idea I got from Cook's Illustrated last month: cut a length of old broom handle to fit inside the tube inside the box.  This weighs it enough that it doesn't want to jump out when you try to pull off a length.
    Wish I'd been told this 30 years ago, and I think I'm going to replace it with some even heavier like a piece of pipe.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    edited December 2018
    they make a wall mounted version but its more for bowls and plates very bad reviews on this one but it would be really convenient to have a wall mount
    this one has suction cups

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I use the 914 wrap and dispenser. As long as you lift upward while dispensing the plastic wrap, as opposed to pulling totally horizontally, the unit stays put. The box has rubberized got pads on it to keep from sliding. I have looked into the dispensers as well and couldn’t ever pull the trigger. If you find something earth shattering let us know. 
  • We use the one from Costco - it sits
    in the lazy Susan corner cabinet. So heavy there’s no pulling that thing out, and enough wrap to last years and years. 

Same with the foil, btw. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I would think you are looking for a food service solution as opposed to a grocery store 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited December 2018
     This is how I use seran wrap

wrap GIF

life infomercial GIF
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I would think you are looking for a food service solution as opposed to a grocery store 
    If there is Reataurant Depot or GFS marketplace they have them
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Not sure if there is one in Webber's area or not. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I appreciate the help guys. I think I'll try the Costco Kirkland brand. The slide cutter is key. Good to know it won't move or slide around.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    WeberWho said:
    I appreciate the help guys. I think I'll try the Costco Kirkland brand. The slide cutter is key. Good to know it won't move or slide around.
    I've been using this for a couple of years and it works well . Stays put when pulling put the plastic and the slide cutter cuts well without having to try and tug it against a serrated edge. Andbits not a bulky unwieldy size that can't be ticked away in a wall rack in the pantry .

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Not exactly the topic here, but I swear I must carry some positive or negative electrical charge so I fight Saran Wrap like a prize fighter! My wife can pull it out, tear it off and easily wrap whatever and whenever she wants...but not me! That crap starts to cling to itself as soon as I look at the box! I throw away more of that than I use! :scream:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    RRP said:
    Not exactly the topic here, but I swear I must carry some positive or negative electrical charge so I fight Saran Wrap like a prize fighter! My wife can pull it out, tear it off and easily wrap whatever and whenever she wants...but not me! That crap starts to cling to itself as soon as I look at the box! I throw away more of that than I use! :scream:
    "Glad" brand used to be easier to use than the others, because it was slightly thicker (more expensive to make).  That's no longer the case, and it's just as frustrating as the others.  Guess Glad's 1%-er CEO needed a bigger yacht this year.    

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    RRP said:
    The food service film is far superior and easier to use than the grocery store garbage. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    RRP said:
    The food service film is far superior and easier to use than the grocery store garbage. 
    I hear you, Pete. We have a GFS store in town and I have looked at those HUGE rolls before, but given my age I doubt we could ever use but a smiggen off that roll. Guess I could just leave the disposal of the remaining roll to my executor...BUT HEY WAIT...could my corpse wrapped in GFS film be a legal substitute for a coffin here in IL?  =)=)=)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    I hear you, Pete. We have a GFS store in town and I have looked at those HUGE rolls before, but given my age I doubt we could ever use but a smiggen off that roll. Guess I could just leave the disposal of the remaining roll to my executor...BUT HEY WAIT...could my corpse wrapped in GFS film be a legal substitute for a coffin here in IL?  =)=)=)
    Ron,

i will tell you flat out it is worth every penny. I know you don’t like waste but i find all kinds of uses for it from food to garage. And the lack of struggle—Just saying. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    RRP said:
    Pull the roll out of the box and wrap applying tension using the roll. Then roll off a little extra and trim with a pair of scissors.  It works a lot better this way and it’ll actually stick. 
  • Before SWMBO bought Costco brand, I swore if I died and went Hell, an endless sea of bowls would await me to be covered in Saran wrap !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    I am a frugal sort. The last role of saran wrap I bought was five or eight years ago. I re-use the plastic grocery bags in place of saran wrap.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Botch
    edited December 2018
    My local kitchenware store sold lids similarly to these, and I rarely need to use saran wrap anymore; they're great:
    https://www.amazon.com/QooWare-Silicone-Suction-Lids-Microwave/dp/B014ZUPHMG/ref=sr_1_10?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1544719728&sr=1-10&keywords=silicon+bowl+cover

Just lay them over the bowl, push the center very lightly, and it gives you an airtight seal.  I hang them from small brads on the insides of my cupboard doors, so they're handy and out of the way [/Martha Stewart].  

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I am a frugal sort. The last role of saran wrap I bought was five or eight years ago. I re-use the plastic grocery bags in place of saran wrap.

confused tituss burgess GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    WTF? 

Johns Creek, Georgia