Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - turning peel for compact pizza oven

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,533
edited December 2018 in EggHead Forum
Just wondering if anyone use a small peel for turning pizza in compact oven such as BS, uuni, RB or Ardore.  I have been searching for one that has the right balance of paddle size, handle length and price. It was frustrating and I almost gave up. 

For example this one is recommended by someone in pizza making forum but shipping to GWN kills the deal. The handle also seems short:
https://www.amazon.com/American-Metalcraft-17080-Aluminum-Handle/dp/B004FNU6GG/ref sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544128339&sr=8-3&keywords=8%22+pizza+peel 

GI Metal 8" or 9" round are very nice but it's pricey and the handle is too long. Shorter handle ones are available in Europe/UK only.

I settled on this and extended the handle using a recycled oak spindle:
https://www.amazon.com/Winco-APP-20-Pizza-20-Inch-Aluminum/dp/B00C0NADMK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544127350&sr=8-3&keywords=winco+app-20

With the plastic end cap removed, the tapered end of the spindle lodged tightly into the hollow handle. After several uses I should have a better idea of the most comfortable length and shorten as needed.

canuckland

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Very nice, what lathe do you have
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Canugghead
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @Jstroke
    Thanks for the kind words but I don't own a lathe  :)
    My apology for been unclear ... 'recycled' means I picked up few of these oak staircase spindles from a Habitat Restores few years ago, could have came from a haunted house that was demolished, lol!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Used it tonight and very happy with it. The square end provides a nice non-slip grip.  Length is not bad but may tweak it by shortening an inch or two. May also trim the front corners, making them more rounded to minimise the risk of tearing a thin crust.
    canuckland
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    You should put up a website and sell those.  Well done!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Nice. For some 17 years now I have used a metal peel for both ingress and egress. Mine has a round wooden handle which I found to be difficult to keep pizza side upright. My solution was to wrap my handle using an inexpensive golf club handle wrap. I need to get to bed now, but I can post a picture tomorrow if you want.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Canugghead
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @RRP Please do share your picture.
    I use a full size wooden peel for launching without messing with parchment paper or cornmeal (less chance of sticking like metal peel which gets wet with condensation when moved indoors, especially this time of year). Retrieving with full size metal peel is easier though, thicker wooden peel would be challenging to slide under.  This dwarf turning peel is only 6.75" wide, it's strictly for rotating the pie almost continuously after the first 30-45 seconds in a super hot compact oven, to ensure even cooking in under two minutes.
    canuckland